Car hire

Started by kustard83, October 12, 2016, 20:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kustard83

This may be a stupid question but are Top car autoreisen and autoreisen the same company? They seem to have very similar web sites and logo's ,but I am getting different prices from each.I have booked for April 2017 on the Top car site and got188euros for 22days which seems remarkable cheap.The autoreisen site is more like 250euros! I have used Payless for the past 8yrs and they quote 258 .
What reputation have top car got? Should I give them a try or stick with Payless who have been faultless previously.
Thanks for any advise that you furumers can give.

F1REFLY999

Used Top Car & Autoreisen (Same company) for many years (at least 5 times a year) without issues....then was Introduced to Pluscar and haven't looked back....used them a least 25 times. Hope you get sorted
La luciérnaga

Please visit www.costacaleta.co.uk

paully

Hi Kustard

They are one and the same company in reality and yes both have different prices. Top car block your card for a deposit if you decide not to take their extra insurance (but no hard sell by the way) and I think Autoreisen don`t or something like that. I used them earlier this year and got a brand new Citroen C3 as a group b car for E130 for 2 weeks and I have the same deal booked for next April as well. The cars I saw in their parking area looked new and all in good condition.

They have a good reputation so book with them. Nothing to pay upfront and you can always cancel if you get a better deal elsewhere.
I HATE computer thingyss

Can the Man

I have used them years ago when I first started coming to the island, had an issue with a child's car seat I didn't think what they were giving me was up to European standard, and how it fastened into the car, they tied it in with a bit of rope, but that was over 10 years ago, I assume things have improved since.
I then started using Payless and Cabrera Medina which are the same company but different prices, and subsequent to this use Autoplus/ Pluscar who is the first I check every time I car hire now. I tend to check Autoplus, Payless, and Auto resin, and go with the best value which has been Autoplus to date.
I would say go with them and see how you get on. The price of â,¬188 is very good

kustard83

Thanks for the help guys,Looking into it a bit deeper Insurance is the key,Top car doesn't include fully comp insurance and to add that takes the price up to around Payless territory.For some strange reason I feel a little loyalty to Payless as I  have never had a problem with them.For now will leave both reservation's booked and  decide nearer the time.

paully

The insurances for both companies are exactly the same. Full comprehensive without excess..Non cover windscreens, underside, tyres etc, although this is the extra cover Top Car offer and block on your card if you dont want it. I don`t think Payless or their parent company Cabrera Medina offer this cover at all. But rest assured with both firms you are comprehensively covered.
I HATE computer thingyss

kustard83

According to the Top car hire conditions only 3rd party compulsory cover is included in the price ,with comprehensive cover at 3 euros a day up to a max of 45+ taxes,the others appear to over comprehensive as standard?
Thanks for your input Paully much appreciated.

paully

Their website is a bit confusing but if you look on their front page it says ``Insurance (cdw) without franchise`` which is a google translation for without excess..The terms and conditions page confirms its offering comprehensive cover in the deal and then  refers to the price you quoted, as being for the `exceptions` ie tyres,windscreens etc..

Hope this helps, but you do have the same cover as Payless/Cicar etc
I HATE computer thingyss

Can the Man

I have been on the rock for a week, going home tomorrow  >:(
I had a hire car with AutoPlus a Fiat Qubo for â,¬96 for 5 days. Great value, and when I went to collect they told me that as a loyal customer they were giving me a free upgrade to a Fiat Dobolo, which they did I was very pleased. It's not new, it's got 35,000km on the clock, but it's clean and runs well. What more can you ask for.  :D

paully

Good one Can ;D..I used them last visit and would have on this next trip, next week,except that they were quite a bit dearer than Cabrera Medina. So far for next April they want E186 whilst Top Car/Autoreisen only want e134 both group B cars..

certainly pays to keep checking the prices though
I HATE computer thingyss

djk99

I haven't used Pluscar for a while, but , having seen the extremely long queues for the 4 'in terminal' rental desks on many occasions lately I'm sure Pluscar's car-park procedure  must be preferable. There has obviously been an increase in car rental business over the past year or so, but, the car rental companies don't seem to be able to expand their service to accommodate it. The present car rental desks are restricted to 2 agents maximum (due to the desk size) and even though many of us are repeat customers - they still manually input each rental from scratch - taking much longer than necessary. The last time I pre-booked a rental on arrival it took 90 minutes to get to the front of the queue - not something you want after a 4 hour flight.

Can the Man

Quote from: djk99 on October 20, 2016, 11:59:51 AM
I haven't used Pluscar for a while, but , having seen the extremely long queues for the 4 'in terminal' rental desks on many occasions lately I'm sure Pluscar's car-park procedure  must be preferable. There has obviously been an increase in car rental business over the past year or so, but, the car rental companies don't seem to be able to expand their service to accommodate it. The present car rental desks are restricted to 2 agents maximum (due to the desk size) and even though many of us are repeat customers - they still manually input each rental from scratch - taking much longer than necessary. The last time I pre-booked a rental on arrival it took 90 minutes to get to the front of the queue - not something you want after a 4 hour flight.

Pluscar had all the paperwork filled out manually from my previous hires, so all they needed to check was my passport and my licence against their records, and then me sign the forms, and pay the bill.  :D