El Cotillo lagoons in August

Started by andynelly, April 21, 2014, 18:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andynelly

I've just booked to stay in El Caleton for a week from August 20th, only having been to the area before in January or February and not for the last 2 years. How am I likely to find the lagoons for naturism at that time of year? Will the area be packed with textile Spanish in their campers? Will it be unbearably hot?  At least the sea should be warmer than in February.

MinRich

I think you will find the area packed with tents and campers everywhere and August is a month we avoid at El Caleton. I think there is a clue in finding a vacancy at El Caleton for a month away , any other time of the year you would never find a vacancy so close to the actual holiday period .
As far as naturists numbers i would suggest that there will be many more non naturists than naturists .

erik_tonny

I don't understand andynelly nor Tel501.
Why do you look for information after you have booked the vacation?
We always do that the other way around........

sueandrog

We have just come back from 2 weeks at El Caleton. Never been before in July, usually June or September/October, circumstances prevailed this year meaning July, but never seen so many swimsuited bodies. Also the first weekend as MinRich says, like a camper van convention!! The area busy, but still not overcrowded. The beach in front of the apartments was a no go for naturists other than a walk through, and even on the lagoons, particularly the top one, naturists were definitely out numbered. We have been many times before when all of these beaches/lagoons were mainly totally naturist. Still we and a few others kept the flag flying, and we didn't have any problems. Just out of interest though and not sure if others will read this, it was the same situation away from El Cotillo, at Risco Del Paso at Sotavento, naturists in the minority there also, and we all know how popular that area is, and at the Corralejo dunes, the naturist sun loungers seem to have been pushed further south, and again walking along the beach south from the hotels and loungers, naturism not as popular as usual. El Cotillo and El Caleton however still its usual lovely laid back atmosphere and came back well refreshed, but obviously July and August and not popular months for naturism.           

spongebob squarepants

Don't know if its just coincidence but I'm getting the feeling that September / October is more popular for naturism. Does anyone agree ?

MinRich

Magoo

Quote from: MinRich on August 04, 2014, 09:09:55 AM
YES  ;D

We're there 17th Sept

So are we, but usually we only do one day at El Cotillo for a spot of snorkling in the lagoons, most of our beach time is on Sotavento.

MinRich

Quote from: Magoo on August 04, 2014, 17:39:05 PM
YES  ;D

We're there 17th Sept

So are we, but usually we only do one day at El Cotillo for a spot of snorkling in the lagoons, most of our beach time is on Sotavento.

I think if we could find a Self Catering place like El Caleton very near the Sotavento beach we would go there too. Any recommendations , links or ideas ?

Magoo

We always stay in the naturist Monte Marina SC apartments in Esquinzo. OK, you can't stroll straight out onto the beach, but it's only a 5min walk to get on it & another 5 to our favorite spot.

We like the SC facilities as Mrs Magoo is Coeliac. Plus you have the naturist pool & sauna on days when it is too windy for the beach. However, we usually go exploring in the car on those days

andynelly

Just arrived at El Caleton today and my initial report is that the naturist situation around here now is worse than sueandrog reported in July.  From a quick recce up through all the lagoons this afternoon I saw no obvious naturism. Just swimsuited Spanish families everywhere. I did take a quick skinny dip at the far side of the last lagoon but the shorts unfortunately went back on for the walk back.
Have just spent the last 4 days down south and thanks to the German presence, the Sotovento beach south of Risco del Paso had enough naturists on it to confidently walk the shoreline naked for a couple of miles or more.
Think there'll be some excursions across to the dunes beach this week and possibly even a day trip back to Sotovento.  Shame not to stay put at this normally idyllic location though.

SheilaW

QuoteI did take a quick skinny dip at the far side of the last lagoon but the shorts unfortunately went back on for the walk back.

But why?

That's a clothes-optional area, so why not opt for no clothes? It's your right in Spanish law, after all.

andynelly

I've found the answer is to get out early before the hoards arrive for the afternoon.  I've just enjoyed an hour's naked stroll up the lagoon beaches and the rocky coastline beyond and back to El Caleton. Not many people about before noon and even a few other naturists. If I can do that every morning this week I'll go home happy.

andynelly

After a few days here at El Caleton I have to report that although naturists are very much in the minority on the lagoons to the north of here, naturism there is still OK and accepted.  It's just the big La Concha/Torinos lagoon and the El Caleton lagoon from where naturists seem to have been banished at the moment, except at about 9:30 in the morning when I've walked to La Concha for an early swim.

SheilaW

Banished???

Quote from: andynelly on August 25, 2014, 12:13:47 PM
After a few days here at El Caleton I have to report that although naturists are very much in the minority on the lagoons to the north of here, naturism there is still OK and accepted.  It's just the big La Concha/Torinos lagoon and the El Caleton lagoon from where naturists seem to have been banished at the moment, except at about 9:30 in the morning when I've walked to La Concha for an early swim.
If there's any banishing going on, it's naturists banishing themselves. Who else is responsible?

The fact is that the majority of the world's population are not happy to be naked in public places, so they wear swimsuits, and the higher tourist figures in August means higher numbers of textiles. But that doesn't in any way force the rest of to follow suit ( ;)), particularly in front of El Caleton which is very well known as a favourite haunt of naturists. Personally, I'm quite happy for them to have one lagoon, but they aren't taking the lot!

KWC

I noticed up in the lagoons passed the Light house that there was distinct lack of naturists.
In fact it was hard to spot any and I was certainly the odd one out!!

MinRich

SheilaW

Quote from: Tel501 on August 25, 2014, 16:25:48 PM
I'll be at the lagoons next Saturday and do hope there are more naturists there or I'm just going to visit the RIU hotels at Corralejo.
SheilaW I have nothing but admiration for your naturists outlook
Why on earth would you admire it? I don't wee what there is to admire. You know what they say:
QuoteUse it or lose it
I really don't want to lose it, but at this rate that's what will happen. :( :'( >:(

@KWC: Were you really that odd? :o :)

KWC

Quote from: SheilaW on August 25, 2014, 18:28:53 PM
@KWC: Were you really that odd? :o :)

Odd one out Sheila lol
I'm not at all odd as I can prove  ;) ;)

andynelly

What a difference a week makes!  Since the weekend the lagoons north of El Caleton have become much less busy. Most of the Spanish families in campers have gone and this afternoon naturists were definitely in the majority on the furthest lagoon beach.  ;D  Pity I only have one more day here. :'(

falkirkdan

YES  ;D

We're there 17th Sept
Rich we will be in No 7 from 20th Sept look me up. What no you in?

spongebob squarepants

Could someone please give me precise instructions for getting to the best (which I think is the furthest) lagoon in Cotillo for naturism. I've been many times to Cotillo and never understood what all the naturists rave about. We briefly visited one of the lagoons near a lighthouse where they were dismantling a stage following some sort of music festival in early July so that would be a good reference point for anyone to give directions from.

isleswing

We've all got differing views on which is the "best".

A very popular, and very nude beach, with some lagoons is this - drive out of town, oast the beach bar, past El Caleton (the last building on the left, set well back from the road) past the first little group of cars. As the road bears to the right, there's a few more parked cars. Pull in there. Be careful how you leave the tarmac, it's a bit of a drop. Follow the dust trail, that's the way everyone else has gone.
A smaller, quieter, just as nude place, with more enclosed lagoons is that first group of cars you passed.
For a lovely quiet beach to yourself, head out towards the lighthouse. about 400 metres short, turn right - there's some old structures - and down the track, past the busy beach, past the surfschool area (no buildings, just flags) and choose your own beach. The track is rough, but safe. Only pull off where others have parked before! Probably a mle or so from the lighthouse.

spongebob squarepants

We're going on 19th Sept for 2 weeks at Corrie but have hire car. From the instructions given by Isleswing and from looking at Google Earth there is a right turn just before the lighthouse and a track along the shoreline. About a mile along this track is naturist heaven by all accounts. Since Google Earth shows a few cars I'm assuming it's safe to take a hire car along here ?

spongebob squarepants

Quote from: Tel501 on September 14, 2014, 07:51:10 AM
Quote from: spongebob squarepants on September 13, 2014, 13:56:02 PM
Could someone please give me precise instructions for getting to the best (which I think is the furthest) lagoon in Cotillo for naturism. I've been many times to Cotillo and never understood what all the naturists rave about. We briefly visited one of the lagoons near a lighthouse where they were dismantling a stage following some sort of music festival in early July so that would be a good reference point for anyone to give directions from.

Best tip is to avoid July and August due to the music festival and school holidays.
I went in June and and first week in September 50% naturists/textiles then. Going by post here
there are more naturists either side of these months. Most naturists are past Torino's beach bar.
Thanks but my question related to WHERE not so much as WHEN.

MinRich

Quote from: spongebob squarepants on September 14, 2014, 09:48:16 AM
We're going on 19th Sept for 2 weeks at Corrie but have hire car. From the instructions given by Isleswing and from looking at Google Earth there is a right turn just before the lighthouse and a track along the shoreline. About a mile along this track is naturist heaven by all accounts. Since Google Earth shows a few cars I'm assuming it's safe to take a hire car along here ?

Some photos might help people to decide ? I would drive as far as you dare , the road is ok for the distance we have driven along , probably about a mile past the lighthouse ish . Haven't done it for several years as we stay at El Caleton and have to walk at least 40 metres to get to the beach  ;D

spongebob squarepants

Yes if anyone can post a Google Earth picture showing best naturist beach and where Torino's is in relation to the lighthouse that'd be great !

SheilaW

"Best" is so subjective. My best may not be your best. I don't even know which is my best. It depends on tides, winds, seaweed (which can build up in one lagoon and be absent from another), what you go there for (snorkelling, sunbathing, picnic, rock pool exploration...) and, not least, who got there before you.

You can see the beach bar and its car park from the road, close to town. All of the places after to beyond the lighthouse are lovely and clothes-optional.

bedouin

I've been a few times, but I confess I can't really see the attraction of El Cotillo.  The beaches in the south are just so much better.

MinRich

If it wasn't for El Caleton i think we would have gone elsewhere too . Love the beaches down past Costa Calma . We spend most of our time at the accommodation now its so relaxing and good value .

suendrob

We love El Cotillo and its beaches for the relaxed vibe. One week at El Caleton and the northern beaches lets me unwind in a way nowhere else can. Having wound down we go on to Infiniti for more lively time.
Has anyone been to the beaches just before the lighthouse? We look down onto that area before turning to the north shore road but it doesn't look very nice or sandy and its full of motorcaravanners. Are we missing anything?