Movistar

Started by willie5094, August 22, 2018, 21:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnrgby2

Quote from: Lexeus on August 28, 2018, 17:49:14 PM
Quote from: Johnrgby2 on August 28, 2018, 14:20:59 PM
Quote from: willie5094 on August 27, 2018, 19:57:01 PM
Went into Movistar shop in Las Rotondas and asked for internet only and she quoted 41â,¬ , and said it was more expensive in shop and better to order online but couldn't help me with doing it, so I'm none the wiser. For feck sake why are things so difficult....

Originally I was with a company called Eurona based in Spain, who where fine for about 6 months, I had  a Movistar router, and a Movistar landline connected by a Movistar engineer, for some reason they transferred us to another company, the service was dire, to say the least, so I go into Movistar in an attempt to switch to them, and apparently I did not exist, neither the did the telephone number, so trying to use some logic I used my mobile dialed the number that did not exist, and amazingly my wife answered, but she still claimed we did not have a landline at which point I gave up, we now use a company called Tiekom, and are connected via 4G, it works very well 95% of the time, have unlimited calls to Spanish numbers,  and 300 mins per month to any international numbers, it is not cheap but as I have said it works.

It is important to note that Movistar is the retail arm of Telefonica. I am pretty sure I am correct in saying that if you buy from Movistar you get a Movistar branded box and a Telefonica Line and a Telefonica engineer installs it.
The equivalent situation in the UK is that you may buy BT Internet, but you get a BT Openreach Box and a BT Openreach engineer installs it.

It's all complication because they were all just  100% publicly owned originally....

I would suggest that maybe you had a Telefonica line that was contracted through this 3rd party "Eurona" so you never had a Movistar line (although it is confusing to see Movistar branded on Telefonica boxes) and perhaps just like me you had a landline number that started with a 9 but in actual fact it was just a virtual phone number that was provided by Eurona and redirected to you, but certainly wouldn't have made it a Movistar managed number. They use redirection so that they don't have to pay Telefonica to manage the voice line, they just have to pay the line rental for physical cable connection.

Sounds plausible Alex.

Lexeus

Willie can you PM me your address, I am intrigued by this very NOT unusual problem :D I think you should be able to submit the order online, perhaps you just have to lie a little on the information you provide and then they will fix it after the order is placed. Let's face it, they aren't going to be connecting your line if they can't find your house first! :D

I had a similar problem with adeslas, they said CostaCalma didn't exist

Lexeus

I have just tried running through a fake order and the website has no issues finding the Province "Las Palmas" Codigo Postal "35610"

I imagine it is your street address that is the problem, send me the pm and I will try and work it out for you

The correos database says that 35610 covers the below, is that definitely where you are? ;)

PALMAS, LAS   AEROPUERTO DE FUERTEVENTURA   35610
PALMAS, LAS   BARRANCO DE LA TORRE   35610
PALMAS, LAS   CALETA DE FUSTE   35610
PALMAS, LAS   CASTILLO, EL (ANTIGUA)   35610
PALMAS, LAS   COSTA DE ANTIGUA   35610
PALMAS, LAS   GOLF CLUB FUERTEVENTURA   35610

Lexeus

Fairly positive it's your street address that you are having issues with:

https://imgur.com/a/OveLaPd

https://imgur.com/ccjAsNC

keithtx

I'm currently paying just over 50 euros per month to Telefonica for Internet only. We have a phone line and number although never use it. Sounds like I may be paying over the odds?

Deso

Quote from: keithtx on September 01, 2018, 10:54:48 AM
I'm currently paying just over 50 euros per month to Telefonica for Internet only. We have a phone line and number although never use it. Sounds like I may be paying over the odds?

Are you on Fusion? I have that and get a mobile SIM with the package included for just over 50 a month.
Regards, Neil
Looking forward to the day I tick the "One way only" box when booking flights to Fuerte. [:)]

keithtx

Hi deso as far as I know I'm on just Internet only. Think I'll pop into the movistar office in Puerto next time I'm over

Lexeus

willie5094

A Quick update, I got a phone call this morning from a Movistar engineer to say that they are coming to my house on Monday at 9, not sure what Monday though, this was after many phone calls to Movistar and asking to speak to someone in English.

Many thanks for all your help and comments, very much appreciated. I'll update when online with Movistar.

Cheers
Willie

perrypower1

My package is the same as Keith's.

It started off at 23.60 back in 2014/2015 but is now 50.00 per month.  It is not the Fusion package.  It is the Landline package with unlimited free calls to other landlines, 500 mins free calls to mobiles on the weekends per month and 50 mins free calls to mobiles per month on weekdays plus maximum speed adsl which at my house across from John is fine.  I use Now TV and Netflicks on it and it works okay.

beachlife

Quote from: perrypower1 on September 10, 2018, 11:46:49 AM
My package is the same as Keith's.

It started off at 23.60 back in 2014/2015 but is now 50.00 per month.  It is not the Fusion package.  It is the Landline package with unlimited free calls to other landlines, 500 mins free calls to mobiles on the weekends per month and 50 mins free calls to mobiles per month on weekdays plus maximum speed adsl which at my house across from John is fine.  I use Now TV and Netflicks on it and it works okay.

Sounds the same as mine. Not sure if it`s still running or of use to you, but a few years ago I was advised that if I went in and asked for mini fusion I could get some extras. I was rather reluctant to go in and try, however I did go into a Movistar shop. I discussed the mini fusion and asked if I could get it included and if it was at no cost to me. They informed me it offered a free smart phone and a 1GB allowance of data and 500 minutes of calls a month. I asked if I could upgrade the free phone and was offered some other phones at a small price I choose a Samsung phone at a cost of 19 euros. However you could accept the offered phone which is at no cost to you. So the mini fusion is totally free and just an extra addon to your package.

Just to repeat, my internet/phone package sounds the same and the mini fusion is free to me at least. So you would have nothing to lose if you go in and ask if the mini fusion is still offered on the package you already have.

willie5094

A follow on from my update on the 7th Sept, got Movistar installed at my house on Monday morning average 15mb, thanks for everyones help and comments in getting me through this almost impossible task.

Cheers
Willie

Deso

Looks like a good result, 15mb where you are. I would try a few tests around 7 or 8pm when all the soaps are on.

https://www.nperf.com/en/ is a good test site to use as it also gives latency and jitter results. These are important if you intend to use IPTV, the lower the better.  :D
Regards, Neil
Looking forward to the day I tick the "One way only" box when booking flights to Fuerte. [:)]

Logitechtom

Hi Willie, you've had Movistar in for a week now, so can you comment on the service, download speeds etc.

Tom.