Electrical shop Caleta — vacuum?

Started by Ducks, March 23, 2018, 09:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ducks

So apparently my usually mild allergies object strongly to the previous owner's love of beautiful feather pillows, and the subsequent dust they generateâ€" didn't get one wink of sleep last night for all the winking and sneezing I did!

We don't have a car, so we were hoping we could pick up a vacuum in Caleta town without having to go up to Rosario and struggle one home on the bus or pay for a taxi. Is there anywhere in the area that sells these?

spitfire58

Hi Ducks, can`t think of anywhere in Caleta tbh. The only possibilities would be the Chinese shop, the small electrical place down near Villa Florida or the Ferreteria up near Nestors. You could order from Ikea & then that is only a short bus ride. HTH

Ducks

Ikea don't do them either, apparentlyâ€" which is fine, I really do need to get something today because it's tough to get on without sleep and when you've got a runny nose, intermittent sneezing, and big red eyes! We have a lot to do in the next week or two, and I need to be awake and fit for human interaction.

Guess we'll have to haul ourselves to Puerto tonightâ€" Thanks for the info; would have been tromping around town all day looking for somewhere otherwise.

beachlife

It could be an allergy to something over here. I get no sneezes, runny noses etc in the UK but when here I get sneezes etc I have traced it to aloe vera plants when they flower.

You may find that using a vacuum may not solve your problem. I would try getting some antihistamines from a chemist worked for me.

spitfire58

That is a possibility. My wife takes antihistamines all the time in the U.K. & gets a tablet out there from the chemists. It`s sold as a sleeping tablet but is actually a strong antihistamine. Can`t remember the name but I think it starts with an “M”. I got them from the chemist just up from the Barcelo by asking for sleeping tablets. Most staff there have some English, might help until you can fumigate your place 🙂🙂

Ducks

It's definitely something in the house. I have no problems when I'm outside or in the kitchen, but as soon as I sit on the sofa or get into bed, the sneezing starts. It's hilariously immediate, and last year in our rental, and I had the same issues (albeit more mildly). We gave the bedding a thorough airing and some sunshine time, vacuumed the mattress, and the problem cleared up that day and did not return.

We'd planned on getting a vacuum anyway (we're OCD cleaner types), but this has pushed it from "something we can do next week" to "get this done today". Thanks, thoughâ€" I might have to invest in those to tide me over for the next couple of days until we can get the place ship shape, so it's a good suggestion!

(Edit: as Spitfire also suggested.)

emmi

Buy some new pillows?  Available in the English shop near the Aberdeen Angus restaurant.

Globetrotter

Quote from: Captain Sensible on March 23, 2018, 12:16:32 PM
There's a special sale on at the Electron shop in Puerto del Rosario over the next few days.  All sales are without IVA tax so a 21% discount on everything.
Looks like its only vat free not IVA free on LG products though :) :) :)

beachlife

I brought a robot vacuum from the UK from ebay, which does a good job here as all the floors are on 1 level and tiled. Might be useful if you are OCD as they can be left to do the cleaning and go back to the power source when they are running down.

Ducks

We looked at the robot vacuums when we were in the bigger one in industrial estate on Tuesday, but they're no use for doing the undersides of furniture, beds, couches, pillows, etc. I do love the look and appearance of them, thoughâ€" like little pets that clean up for you instead of something you have to clean up after!  :P

Went to the Electron in Rotundas this morning. I only saw two models on sale, but that store is smaller (we avoid going to the industrial estate unless absolutely necessary, since it means getting a taxi out from the shopping centre and asking the staff in the shops to call us a taxi to go back), so perhaps they're not having the event, or perhaps we were unlucky and missed it by a day? I didn't see any further posts in the thread after my initial two because we were out, unfortunately.

Price aside, we are very happy with its performance so far. It has enough suction that I can barely push it across the tiles when it's a full power! That is the kind of cleaning I look for.

It's a Rowenta RO6941EA â€"the blue oneâ€" and so far, I would recommend. It was â,¬160.

Ducks

Quote from: emmi on March 23, 2018, 11:18:44 AM
Buy some new pillows?  Available in the English shop near the Aberdeen Angus restaurant.

The British supermarket?! It sells pillows?!  :o

I will look there tomorrow, thank youâ€" would be a hell of a lot easier than trying to haul them back from Puerto Rosario! We'd intended on getting new pillows/sheets/duvet covers anyway, but it's not in the budget to replace the mattress etc., and that is where most of the dust mites make their homes, annoyingly.

Tea break is over now: the siting room is done, and now to attack the bedroom...

emmi

Yes, really! Top shelf left hand side of the shop. They sometimes have Duvets too!
The Chinese shop sometimes do pillows too.

spitfire58

Hi Ducks, you can get good price mattresses in Edem just a few doors along from Ikea. They come vacuum packed so a single is a 3ft by 1ft(ish) roll. Can easy go in a car/taxi if you really have to. We got singles for 58â,¬ each I think it was

TamaraEnLaPlaya

Quote from: emmi on March 23, 2018, 11:18:44 AM

They are also 'British' sized, so think about your pillow cases, different to the Spanish sizes.

Ducks

Quote from: TamaraEnLaPlaya on March 23, 2018, 23:16:23 PMThey are also 'British' sized, so think about your pillow cases, different to the Spanish sizes.

The previous owners were from the UK, and brought a lot of stuff with them from home (the kettle has a 3-pin plug and adapter, etc.), so I think it's all British pillowcases we have here. It would make sense to get pillows of the same size, so we'll pop in tomorrow.

Thanks again for the tipâ€" I would honestly never have thought to look there.

Ducks

For the record: British Shop does indeed have pillows! I bought a couple this morning. Great to not have to trek around miles for them.

Thanks again for the tip!