Turron

Started by hairybiker, May 08, 2016, 08:53:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hairybiker

I've just finished the last of the El Almendro turron duro brought back from my last holiday (November 2015).  I think I bought back 3 kg at â,¬5.65 per 300g pack (£1.50/100g)

My local Lidl had an "Iberian" week and had Sol y May Torte Imperial (Lidl own brand) on sale £2.19 for a 200g pack (£1.10/100g)

On opening it, I thought that the inner wrapper looked familiar. I retrieved the wraooer from the last bar of El Almendro from the bin and, sure enough, they wre identical.

So I think I know who makes it for Lidl and where to buy it next time it's on sale. 

GSD Girl

Never tried it. Thought it might stick my teeth together and pull my filling out :D

hairybiker

Quote from: GSD Girl on May 08, 2016, 10:43:10 AM
Never tried it. Thought it might stick my teeth together and pull my filling out :D

With the turron duro, it doesn't pull them out.  It just smashes them (and the surrounding teeth) and they fall out! LoL

paully

Slighty off topic, but Mercadona own brand, no added sugar, milk and plain chocolate is the same as Sainbury`s sell under their own label..about the same price too
I HATE computer thingyss

gattaca66

Mmm..... It's Mercadona's own brand chocolate negro con almendras enteras for me, no other brand comes close...and just â,¬1.29 for 200g! Mind you, that turrón IS good too..!

hairybiker

Quote from: paully on May 08, 2016, 14:14:11 PM
Slighty off topic, but Mercadona own brand, no added sugar, milk and plain chocolate is the same as Sainbury`s sell under their own label..about the same price too

Not seen it anywhere in my local Sainsburys.  But i'll take a look

But chocolate turron is just wrong.  LIke a car display in my local shopping centre. DIESEL Maseratis!!!

IsThisForumStillGoingWow

Quote from: hairybiker on May 08, 2016, 08:53:02 AM
I've just finished the last of the El Almendro turron duro brought back from my last holiday (November 2015).  I think I bought back 3 kg at â,¬5.65 per 300g pack (£1.50/100g)

My local Lidl had an "Iberian" week and had Sol y May Torte Imperial (Lidl own brand) on sale £2.19 for a 200g pack (£1.10/100g)

On opening it, I thought that the inner wrapper looked familiar. I retrieved the wraooer from the last bar of El Almendro from the bin and, sure enough, they wre identical.

So I think I know who makes it for Lidl and where to buy it next time it's on sale.

Thanks for that Dave, I really like it and always bring some back with me...it disappears so fast though in my house  ;D but have a Lidl just round the corner from me so will pop in tomorrow and hope they still have some there  :)
Only two things are infinite,the universe and human stupidity,and im not sure about the former .....

IsThisForumStillGoingWow

Quote from: GSD Girl on May 08, 2016, 10:43:10 AM

You have obviously never tried this lovely stuff before then ...sticky it definitely ain't  ;D ;D
Only two things are infinite,the universe and human stupidity,and im not sure about the former .....

TamaraEnLaPlaya

Love the turron. The variety available in the lead up to Christmas is amazing! Just have to try them all  :D
I second the comments about Mercadona's chocolate and also recommend their own versions of Twix and Bounty - family size packs at a fraction of the cost of the 'real thing'.

GSD Girl

Just seen some El Almendro Turron in TK Max. In the aisle leading to the checkout. Three different types, one chocolate, not sure about others, in a presentation box £4.99.

paully

Quote from: hairybiker on May 08, 2016, 19:29:59 PM
Quote from: paully on May 08, 2016, 14:14:11 PM

Not seen it anywhere in my local Sainsburys.  But i'll take a look

But chocolate turron is just wrong.  LIke a car display in my local shopping centre. DIESEL Maseratis!!!

Sainsbury`s, for some strange reason, put it near the chocolate display but usually on the lower shelf and slightly away from the others..alsmost hidden, you do have to look
I HATE computer thingyss

hairybiker

Update
The last 2 times Lidl have had an Iberian week, they've only had the Turron assortment.

So while I'm at the Tres Islas, I've been looking. I know it's not the season and none of the supermarkets I'd looked into in Corralejo had any. However, I had a memory that I'd found it in Mercadona a couple of years ago in June. So I hopped on the No. 6 bus to the Mercandona at  Hondura (easier than the trek up to the Corralejo one) and they did.

â,¬2,90 for a 2 bar, 250g pack