Aluminium doors and windows-how much can I budget for?

Started by Chalongcircle, June 26, 2019, 17:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chalongcircle

Good Evening,
We are looking to replace our patio window, front door(solid) and bedroom window with aluminium frames. Has anybody got a ball park figure on the amount this would cost please? Any indication helpful. Looking in the Corralejo area. Thanks

wavell ave

try el norte corralejo good company had a lot of work from them

Lexeus

I would be interested to hear any numbers with regards to windows/doors as well. I need a few in the next couple of months

beachlife

Stay clear of El Norte very expensive.

Just had new aluminium door fitted on 2nd July. Supply & fit cost 1036 euros. From AFT (aluminous fuerterra) El Charco. David speaks excellent English. Did another job for me for a roof which was also first class.

Lexeus

Thank you for sharing, what sort of door was it? Glass patio door or opaque front door?

beachlife

Lexeus

Thanks, I need exactly the same and a glass one too plus a window or two. I was hoping it would come in a little cheaper than that. Was it a straight swap for an old door or are you doing some remodelling, hope no one tried breaking in through the old one?

beachlife

Just a straight swap. The other old one was not double locking for some reason. It also needed regular sanding down & painting as it is on the side of the house that gets all the weather sun, wind & rain.

Benefits of the aluminium door is that it does get hot, as it faces the side of the house that gets most of the sun daily, so in the cooler months will get a bit of heat into the hall and draughts are considerably reduced compared to the old door.

You can get cheaper doors, people I know have paid less but you can tell the difference in quality. The old saying you get what you paid for is so true about doors. Its a long term investment so when divided by the number of years service it will give, plus less maintenance then it's worth paying for quality.

Lexeus

Yes, I don't disagree. I imagine it's very shiny and impressive too! :)

It's a very drafty warping old wooden door that I need to get rid off, probably quite a common situation, but I am making a few changes including moving the front door so I hope it doesn't work out more than your's cost including fitting because I am going to need the whole pack to turn two walls into a doorway  :o

You don't have any experience with that special tinted/mirrored glass you can buy these days do you? I am pondering the idea if it's an option, just so I can get rid of the net curtains in the kitchen...

spitfire58

Quote from: beachlife on July 19, 2020, 20:56:59 PM
Just a straight swap. The other old one was not double locking for some reason. It also needed regular sanding down & painting as it is on the side of the house that gets all the weather sun, wind & rain.

Benefits of the aluminium door is that it does get hot, as it faces the side of the house that gets most of the sun daily, so in the cooler months will get a bit of heat into the hall and draughts are considerably reduced compared to the old door.

You can get cheaper doors, people I know have paid less but you can tell the difference in quality. The old saying you get what you paid for is so true about doors. Its a long term investment so when divided by the number of years service it will give, plus less maintenance then it's worth paying for quality.

Hi,
Just a word of warning. We have an aluminium front door with what was a shiny dark brown surface. Constant sunlight over the years has pitted the surface terribly & now v hard to clean & no shine ☹️

beachlife

My door is anodized so not shiny, matt like in appearance. Was aware that the sun would have a detrimental effect on the door its a fact of life. Anodizing increases resistance to corrosion and wear, and provides better adhesion for paint primers and glues than bare metal does. One of the reasons why the door costs more than Lexus was hoping for.

However the price I paid was half the price another company quoted.