VPN

Started by willie5094, October 13, 2018, 18:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willie5094

Anyone use a VPN for BBC Iplayer, Very interested to hear how to go about it.

Thanks in advance.

spitfire58

We use Apple TV when we are out there. Use the same boxes in U.K. so set to recognise U.K. IP address. We have a Getflix account & when we arrived out a few weeks ago  started up the Apple boxes they wouldn`t work. Went to Getflix & it said to change my registered IP address as current on (Fuerte) was different to the IP registered (U.K.) as soon as I changed it the Apple boxes worked straight away & since coming back to U.K. have continued to work fine. HTH willie5094, cheers . . Ron

Logitechtom

Hi, I have used many free VPN apps, and non of them were really satisfactory as they just don't have the servers and bandwidth of commercial services. I eventually gave up on free apps and signed up with TV on holiday https://www.tvonholiday.co.uk

£4 a week plus various other options up to £60 for a year (£5 a month). 

I was dubious of signing up to a service which could just disappear overnight, but I've been with them for almost a year and I haven't had any reason to complain. The support has been brilliant and it works like a dream, so I can watch all the popular channels live, or watch on demand BBC, ITV, Ch. 4, 5 etc. 

Tom.

spitfire58

Hi Tom,
Always interested in new options. How do you connect to this on Fuerte ? Laptop, Smart TV, Android box ??

Logitechtom

It runs on my Windows 10 laptop and also on my Android Tablet and Android phone (either/or, not at the same time, as that is more expensive and my internet access is pretty miserable for streaming one channel on one device, let alone multiple streams!!).

Tom.

MandK

Loads of good free VPN's out there, or just get TVmucho , if you want a legal basic British tv, 45 euro a year

erik_tonny

We have an Asus RT-N65U router at home (any good router with features will do)
We installed our own VPN on that router. When we connect to it, it is as if we are at home, no matter where we are on the world.
An other advantage is that we always have a secure encoded connection so we can even bank on a public wifi connection.
We also installed a dynamic DNS for in case our provider would change our IP address. Thus we also always have a guaranteed acceess
to our home automation and alarm system.
The only costs are the two peanuts a year for the dynamic dns.

Windermeregolfer

Quote from: MandK on October 14, 2018, 09:10:54 AM
Loads of good free VPN's out there, or just get TVmucho , if you want a legal basic British tv, 45 euro a year

Whilst not free I use Tunnel Bear and I now can't get BBC as it appears that the BBC are getting wise to VPN's and I have read somewhere they are starting to block them.

My Sky Go works fine as part of the arrangement they have set up in Europe so it is only BBC I am not getting as BBC is not part of Sky Go

spitfire58

Quote from: Windermeregolfer on October 14, 2018, 11:26:11 AM
Quote from: MandK on October 14, 2018, 09:10:54 AM

Whilst not free I use Tunnel Bear and I now can't get BBC as it appears that the BBC are getting wise to VPN's and I have read somewhere they are starting to block them.

My Sky Go works fine as part of the arrangement they have set up in Europe so it is only BBC I am not getting as BBC is not part of Sky Go

Morning John,
I would be wary of Tunnel Bear. When I was asking around for the best VPN I was told to avoid that one due to viruses etc. Think it is a bit like when Pirate Bay was on the go for illegal film downloads, was supposed to be riddled with viruses. Don`t know how true it all is. Just passing on what I was told. On the other hand Getflix is supposed to be one of the best, think it`s £4 or £5 per month & we got/get all BBC & ITV Plus all the rest with no issues, cheers . . Ron

CoroAlex

I use express VPN which is $12 a month and works well (see caveat below) but always interested to see if there are better cheaper options out there.   For those who say there are free options, it would be nice if you can name the ones you with which you have positive experiences and how long your experience with them is.

With express VPN, one still need to disable location services on the iPad and keep it in airplane mode for it to work. 

spitfire58

Quote from: CoroAlex on October 14, 2018, 12:31:56 PM
I use express VPN which is $12 a month and works well (see caveat below) but always interested to see if there are better cheaper options out there.   For those who say there are free options, it would be nice if you can name the ones you with which you have positive experiences and how long your experience with them is.

With express VPN, one still need to disable location services on the iPad and keep it in airplane mode for it to work. 

Hi CA,
In general, I feel & have been told that the free VPN`s are below par in terms of functionality & can leave you open to “infiltration” so I would never go with them. As I said Getflix is in the region of £4 or £5 per month paid yearly & have never had any issues with it, they were recommended by my tech buddies. Also, no need to keep iPad in aero mode (or any other device) however, I did set the VPN up on the router which I feel is a much better option as it covers anything in the property on WiFi without any other issues. . Ron

bookman

I have also used https://www.tvonholiday.co.uk and found that it managed to fool iplayer.  Many of the free VPN's do not.
Just apoint of info. I now use my mobile as a hotspot for my laptop. My contract is with vodafone uk. No need for a VPN .

Lexeus

Quote from: bookman on October 14, 2018, 21:01:22 PM
I have also used https://www.tvonholiday.co.uk and found that it managed to fool iplayer.  Many of the free VPN's do not.
Just apoint of info. I now use my mobile as a hotspot for my laptop. My contract is with vodafone uk. No need for a VPN .

Nice idea, what with the EU laws on roaming now it may be preferable to paying for an ISP and VPN service, but there are conditions in the EU legislation that suggest they will cut you off if you abuse it.... legislation isn't necessarily reality though ;)

what contract do you have? Is it just for short stints on holiday here, what is the longest period you have used it like that?

bookman

Hi Lexeus.  Its on a one year contract. 50gb data per month. Yes it is for holiday use, 6-8 weeks at a time now I am retired. Good enough bandwidth to stream from iplayer, although I most often download and then watch.

erik_tonny

Quote from: vivafuerte on October 15, 2018, 17:38:00 PM
using free VPN is stupidity, your basically using someone elses computer and they can if they know how, see everything you are doing.

the way we do it is fixed IP at work, VPN from there, the world sees our UK office as the address, it costs nothing other than the price of the router there are no other costs.

See « Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 09:53:45 am »

Lexeus

Quote from: bookman on October 15, 2018, 21:17:48 PM
Hi Lexeus.  Its on a one year contract. 50gb data per month. Yes it is for holiday use, 6-8 weeks at a time now I am retired. Good enough bandwidth to stream from iplayer, although I most often download and then watch.

Up to 2-3 months and I wouldn't expect there to be a problem, bit different from long term use :). For travelling between here and the UK I imagine you have the right idea there, although that looks to be £30/month contract? Pretty pricey to start with!

bookman

Depends how you look at it. Internet at our apt is via JRM. Even with their 45 euro pm  service barely enough bandwidth to stream. My contract is, as you point out, £ 30 per month but I get all calls to UK inc. So 5 months with JRM would be about £200 . 3 - 5 gb UK phone contract approx £150 .So its around about even in price. As you say fine for holiday use. More importantly the good lady is getting her fix of Strictly and Bake off so I'm well up on brownie points.

woe10

The best one, IPVanish. I use it for ITV Hub. Don't know about BBC, never watch it.

https://www.ipvanish.com/