Ryanair new luggage policy

Started by F1REFLY999, September 06, 2017, 11:24:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

F1REFLY999

La luciérnaga

Please visit www.costacaleta.co.uk

dagwood

Can the Man

Not necessarily, it will be a good thing, far too many people taking advantage of the 2 bags, some of these 2nd bags are as big as the first bag.

I also think they need to adopt a policy of charging people for holding up people getting on the plane by not knowing what's in their bag before the put it in the luggage locker, then they have to get up again and take it out, root around for what they want,  and put the gag  back up, we all have experienced these people, they should be charged or thrown off the plane, BE PROPERLY ORGANISED BEFORE YOU GET ON.

http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/ryanair-axes-free-10kg-carryon-bags-for-all-but-priority-boarding-passengers-36105074.html

dagwood

Quote from: Can the Man on September 06, 2017, 14:40:39 PM
Not necessarily, it will be a good thing, far too many people taking advantage of the 2 bags, some of these 2nd bags are as big as the first bag.

I also think they need to adopt a policy of charging people for holding up people getting on the plane by not knowing what's in their bag before the put it in the luggage locker, then they have to get up again and take it out, root around for what they want,  and put the gag  back up, we all have experienced these people, they should be charged or thrown off the plane, BE PROPERLY ORGANISED BEFORE YOU GET ON.

http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/ryanair-axes-free-10kg-carryon-bags-for-all-but-priority-boarding-passengers-36105074.html
I don't agree Can.
Myself and her indoors play a little game picking out the ones that are the most likely to start pulling stuff from their bags. We did notice its mostly men but maybe their only obeying orders from a higher authority. It passes the time while the last to arrive peoples bags are touring the plane for a bit of space and I also have to watch my bag as smart alecks attempted to move it on a few occasions. The words " Don't even think about it" works wonders.
By the way this happens on Aer Lingus too.     

spitfire58

Just another way of increasing their profit. No need to do this. I agree some people take the p*ss with the size of their bags but each Ryanair desk has a bag sizer, all they have to do is use it consistently & refuse (or surcharge) oversized bags. People would soon get the message. That would still get them extra revenue !!

annalivia

You can still bring your 10kg bag for free but when you get to the gate it will be out in the hold.

dagwood

Well Ryanair flights are uasually over 90% full this is approximately 170 passengers and only room for 90 normal sized bags. Now you don't need to be a genus to work it out.

Will196

Nothing new there. The problem was the over sized second bags people kept trying to fit into the overhead instead of under the seats.

Archer

I don't see the problem. Why not just enforce the size/weight rules at the gate. I've never seen too many bags for the overheads...just a reorganisation as some selfish people think it their entitlement to put 2 bags overhead...and even their hat in the bin on it's own!
I think this may backfire on Ryanair. It's not the cost of luggage, but the wait at the belt. Now anyyone who doesn't pay for Priority boarding will now have to wait at the belt for their hand luggage bag. Nightmare!

spitfire58

Quote from: Archer on September 07, 2017, 08:16:56 AM
I don't see the problem. Why not just enforce the size/weight rules at the gate. I've never seen too many bags for the overheads...just a reorganisation as some selfish people think it their entitlement to put 2 bags overhead...and even their hat in the bin on it's own!
I think this may backfire on Ryanair. It's not the cost of luggage, but the wait at the belt. Now anyyone who doesn't pay for Priority boarding will now have to wait at the belt for their hand luggage bag. Nightmare!

Completely agree Archer 👍👍👍

Villan

This new policy was deferred until this year. Has anyone flown this year and either witnessed or experienced the change?

Windermeregolfer

Not flown yet, but just booked whilst here on Fuerteventura a return to UK flight for April and reserving extra leg room seats no longer includes priority boarding so Priority Boarding now costs an extra 5â,¬ which includes a guaranteed in cabin bag and a hand bag / laptop computer bag.

Logitechtom

My boarding pass for tomorrow says these changes are effective from tomorrow, that is the 8th January.

Not an issue for us as we always observe the baggage rules but we hope that this will be enforced.

Tom.

Villan

Quote from: Logitechtom on January 07, 2018, 17:52:49 PM
My boarding pass for tomorrow says these changes are effective from tomorrow, that is the 8th January.

Not an issue for us as we always observe the baggage rules but we hope that this will be enforced.

Tom.

Thanks Tom. I acknowledge that this will not affect you but would welcome your observations on the new policy/process once you have witnessed the implementation.

spitfire58

We are flying back on the 9th so will report back after that 😀😀

Will196

The change is the 15th isn't it?

But the change is only for people without priority boarding. All the change really means is your carry on gets gate checked. I wouldn't pack anything valuable into that bag but that's just me

Villan

The exact impact and process is not clear. The initial wording from Ryanair suggests that purchasing priority boarding GUARANTEES being able to take hand luggage on board. So does that mean if you are at the front of the non priority boarding queue you may still be allowed to take luggage on up to a specified number of passengers? or will all non priority hand luggage have to go in the hold? Where is it taken off you? At the departure gate? At the plane? Thus my request for feedback on how it works in practice. 

Will196

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/plan-trip/flying-with-us/baggage-policy

QuoteAll other customers will only be permitted to bring one smaller carry-on bag on board the aircraft, while their second larger wheelie bag must be placed in the hold at the boarding gate (free of charge).

Only priority, Plus, Flexi Plus, or Family Plus will be allowed to board with both bags. I've seen comments from Ryanair about refusing boarding to anybody not gate checking.

OTOH until it happens we won't know for sure.

bedouin

Quote from: Villan on January 08, 2018, 09:48:49 AM
The initial wording from Ryanair suggests that purchasing priority boarding GUARANTEES being able to take hand luggage on board.

It doesn't.  It says "Due to cabin space limitations only 90 large cabin bags (55 x 40 x 20 cms) can be carried in the cabin, any bags remaining will be carried free of charge in the aircraft hold. Passengers who have purchased Priority Boarding will not be asked to place their cabin bag in the aircraft hold, unless necessary due to operational reasons."  That means that if there are more than 90 Priority passengers, some of them will get their bags put in the hold.

fatherted

When I used Ryanair pre xmas and the new ruling coming into force it was noticeable that a lot of passengers with small solid cases had to put their items into the hold whereas rucksacks and other bags were being allowed onboard. A women in front of me had paid to guarantee being able to take her small case on board but was refused due to the number of passengers who had already boarded with carry on bags etc. When she questioned the staff at the gate she was met with a shrug of the shoulders and told her bags would have to go in the hold despite her showing proof of payment. ??????

Villan

At the time of the initial announcement last September Ryanair's Chief Marketing Officer said in an interview, that the priority boarding fee "guaranteed" passengers could take the luggage on board. This was exactly the same wording used by Jet2 in their press announcement a couple of months earlier when they announced fees for hand luggage.  I was about to travel immediately after the initial implementation date so called Ryanair to clarify . They advised me that the new process was "not completely finalised and may lead to a delay in implementation", which is what happened. I note from that  cabin baggage policy (link posted by Will) suggests that even if there are less than 90 priority boarders (i.e. less than 90 pieces of hand luggage) non priority luggage will be tagged at the boarding gate regardless and placed in the hold. However, it would be comforting to get first hand feedback from forum members travelling of their observations of new process so I can pack and prepare accordingly.

F1REFLY999

When I flew with Jet2 in November I paid extra for guaranteed cabin luggage...no one even asked  or checked my ticket. I think this just another way to get additional funds from hand luggage only passengers who can't be bothered waiting at the carousel.
La luciérnaga

Please visit www.costacaleta.co.uk

Logitechtom

I arrived from Birmingham about three hours ago.

As far as I can tell, there was absolutely no difference with the boarding process.  Priority customers and some non-priority got cases on board, others had cases taken from them at the steps of the plane to go into the hold. 

Still had passengers with cases larger than allowed, still had passengers with over-sized second bags and some with THIRD bags, frankly, couldn't notice any difference at all.

Tom.

spitfire58

Just back in Scotland tonight. We were near the end of the queue so not sure what happened at the beginning but our carry on bags were checked into the hold with no options, just straight off tag the bag by the girl checking boarding cards, she didn`t even ask if we were happy with that

duncolm

We came in on Jet2 from Glasgow yesterday, carrying full sized cabin backpacks. No one looked twice at our luggage and I didn't see any sign of handluggage being taken from anyone else.
That said, although the flight was almost full there still seemed to be space in the overhead lockers.

Deso

Regards, Neil
Looking forward to the day I tick the "One way only" box when booking flights to Fuerte. [:)]

Logitechtom

Had this on an email from Ryanair last night regarding my flight mid-May (but not for my February and March flights):

Non-Priority: If you have not purchased Priority & 2 Cabin Bags, you are only permitted to bring 1 small bag on board. Your second 10kg bag will be tagged at the gate and put into the hold free of charge.

Priority & 2 Cabin Bags (previously Priority Boarding): Only customers who have purchased Priority & 2 Cabin Bags, Flexi Plus, Plus or Family Plus will be permitted to bring both of their cabin bags on board.

spitfire58

Quote from: Logitechtom on January 11, 2018, 09:21:46 AM
Had this on an email from Ryanair last night regarding my flight mid-May (but not for my February and March flights):

Non-Priority: If you have not purchased Priority & 2 Cabin Bags, you are only permitted to bring 1 small bag on board. Your second 10kg bag will be tagged at the gate and put into the hold free of charge.

Priority & 2 Cabin Bags (previously Priority Boarding): Only customers who have purchased Priority & 2 Cabin Bags, Flexi Plus, Plus or Family Plus will be permitted to bring both of their cabin bags on board.

I got that as well. Another distinct change in policy, no wording here about being in the first 90 for hand baggage if not priority booked so I assume it is a definite NO to any carry on 55x40 case in the cabin without priority+2 booking.
Personally, I don`t think they will win on that one. Some people rushed to the front of the queue to get their bags into the first 90, now they won`t bother. We had already decided to hand ours up anyway, it only takes an extra 10 minutes to get back at the conveyor in most cases. With allocated seating there is no point rushing. IMHO

Archer

The airline that gets the hand luggage issue sorted will win the most customers! They are turning this into a nightmare.
We flew BA recently and their 'anything goes' approach just ended in chaos and delays departing. I also used to like RA's policy of one 55x40 plus one under the seat. But not now.
Customer abuse of the system has made them all rethink their policies, which inevitably leads to more charges, or delays loading/unloading, or having to wait at the carousel. More than 10mins at LGW.
WHY can't they just go back to enforcing the simple rule: 1 × 55x40 in the overhead and nothing else up there....all the rest under the seat. Surely it can't so hard to mark the carry-ons destined for the luggage bins, and then chuck out everything else. Those who do not co-operate automatically have their bags taken into the hold.
Get it right and you will win a lot of customer support. From me, anyway!

spitfire58

Quote from: Archer on January 11, 2018, 14:52:55 PM
The airline that gets the hand luggage issue sorted will win the most customers! They are turning this into a nightmare.
We flew BA recently and their 'anything goes' approach just ended in chaos and delays departing. I also used to like RA's policy of one 55x40 plus one under the seat. But not now.
Customer abuse of the system has made them all rethink their policies, which inevitably leads to more charges, or delays loading/unloading, or having to wait at the carousel. More than 10mins at LGW.
WHY can't they just go back to enforcing the simple rule: 1 × 55x40 in the overhead and nothing else up there....all the rest under the seat. Surely it can't so hard to mark the carry-ons destined for the luggage bins, and then chuck out everything else. Those who do not co-operate automatically have their bags taken into the hold.
Get it right and you will win a lot of customer support. From me, anyway!

It is an issue that will keep recurring without some kind of policy like the new one. They initially wanted people to stop booking on bags & go with hand baggage to speed up turn around times but didn`t recognise that if people took to it they would be trying to fit 196 carry on bags into bins for roughly 100 !! Now when people are used to holidaying with carry on bags they want to change it all again !! Absolute nightmare !! Like I said, we will just not be shoehorned into additional booking addons & hand our carry on bags for the hold, if it wasn`t that my wife is not good at flying then I wouldn`t even book seats !! Play them at their own game, I say !!