where to go if you only have one day?

Started by bob111, May 29, 2012, 11:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob111

Hi guy's,

You have probably been asked this many time, but please help us.

We are coming to the island at the end of June and saying in Caleta De Fuste  as we will have family with us.

We will have the use of a car for one day only without said family and would like to make the best use of our time.

The question is, which beach would aim for? we would like to try nude sunbathing and swimming. we have talked and joked about if for many years but never had the chance. Well we have now and would really like to give it a go in an environment where its considered the norm. That said we are a bit shy and would like to avoid the crowds. Also if possible get some fantastic beach shots/ scenic shots, but i would not feel comfortable with a camera around others in case they thought i was taking photos of them.

As i say we only have one day to enjoy peace and quiet without the kids.

Your help most appreciated.

isleswing

Nearly everyone will extoll the virtues of El Cotillo and the , and they're absolutely right. For a truly peaceful experience, go beyond the lighthouse as far as you dare. If there's not too many of you in the car, you should be fine.
If you go southwards, make sure you go via Betancuria. very pretty, but not too spoilt by tourism. There's a lovely little bar/cafe/garden above the church as well.
We really don't know the beaches, other than in the north.

bob111

hi thanks for the info, there will be only two of us in the car so we should be fine. One further question though is it possible to do the north in the morning and the south in the afternoon / evening or would that be too much to fit in one day?

digsley

Head up to corralejo and before you get there you will drive through the sand dunes of the national park. You can park the car at the side of the road and walk across the sand dunes towards the water. There are a couple of beach bars and plenty stone shelters to hide in if you are a bit shy but no one bothers so let it all hang out and haver fun!!

jonesesjourneys

Bob

It will be a long day but shouldn't be too much trouble to do the north and south if you've got the car.
From Caleta to Corralejo (for The Dunes) will take you about 30/35 minutes.
Corralejo to El Cotillo (for The Lagoons) about 30 minutes.
El Cotillo to Morro Jable maybe 90 minutes.
In case you don't like driving in the dark, this time of year you'll have until around 9 o'clock.
Enjoy

JJ

bob111

JJ thanks very much for the advice, we dont mind the long day as we are up early with little ones so we should be able to get away by 8am and dont have to be back until 8pm. i will plot this route and see how we get on thanks again.

Alijo

Bob,
We love and would always recommend the Dunes of Corralejo, easy parking, predominantly nude and lovely dunes to wander in, however when we were last over in March the beach was infested with jellyfish, so much so that we had to drive South to Mal Nombre twice just to enjoy a nude swim.
I dont know if they are still an issue so I would ask the forum for a jellyfish report just before you go.
The roads are great so I wouldnt have any concerns regarding driving, just remember to keep within the speed limit.
A word of caution though, nude bathing is addictive and once youve tried it you'll be hooked, enjoy

bob111

Alijo, we have been told by friends how enjoyable it is once you get over the initial concerns about being nude in front of others. you only live once as they say and as far as i can tell this island is one of the best places to do it.

digsley

Make up your mind to go to one of the places recommended and enjoy the freedom of being nude. If you do the whole Island in a day you will be stuck in the car and nude driving is not recommended

bob111

lol, i think we will most likely do the north of the island as the lagoons look great. Morning at Corralejo afternoon over to the lagoons.

isleswing

And stay for the famous Cotillo Sunset.

SoCal

I stay in El Cotillo, but if I were to have one day at the beach, Risco del Paso on Sotavento, just south of Costa Calma. It is the longest beach around.

For the ultimate wild beach experience - Cofette.

For the best sand, then choose the south beach of Cotillo, i.e., the surfer´s beach.

For the assured good food (from 12:30 until 17:30), then Azzurro, on the north side of El Cotillo.

Just my opinion (after 3 weeks of traveling the island.)
Biking and beaches - total freedom

jg

Whatever you do, just plump for one of the beaches recommended.
Otherwise you will spend more time in the car than naked on the beach.
JG

male52uk2000

I always head for the Isla de Los Lobos just off the coast of Corralejo.
You can take one of the tourist glass bottom boats or a regular taxi boat that commutes between the islands.
Virtually the whole island is naturist friendly.  I have walked from the boat dock right to the top of the mountain without a stitch on and met many others enjoying this freedom on the way.  There is a large sheltered bay on the West side of this island, to the North of where the boats dock. just go left and keep to the coast and you will come across it.
The island has only a few houses on it and mostly centred around the harbour area so once you clear that area you are out in the open and should be able to shed your clothes and inhibitions.
Go for it.  You will never look back.