Where else to go ?

Started by spongebob squarepants, December 24, 2014, 10:46:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spongebob squarepants

We've got our annual trip to Corrie booked for next September and can't wait to get stripped off. We thought we'd try somewhere else in June though - possibly Majorca, Ibiza or possibly Lanzarote or Tenerife.

Ideally we're looking for somewhere similar to Infiniti - a small complex where swimsuits are optional (Mrs Spongebob is only happy topless) whereas I like to go nude. Thee seems to be a lot of naturist type venues but not many like Infiniti where full nudity is not compulsory. Proximity to a naturist beach is also important.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

notdeadfred

Have you tried Formentera? (Only reachable by ferry from Ibiza). We go there as well as Fuerteventura each year for our clothes free holidays. There are no hotels or resorts that I know of which allow nudity in their grounds, optional or compulsory, but there are several self catering apartment and bungalows on the island where you can be naked on your terrace and even walk naked onto the nearby beach.

They tend to be in quieter (but not remote) locations so some form of transport might be required (bicycles being the popular choice). But the island is small so you are never very far from local shops and restaurants.

Formentera is even more laid back than Fuerte, with virtually all of the beaches clothing optional, and no-ne gives a toss how much or how little you wear. (Except as usual perhaps directly in front of the bigger hotels, although some days even that is possible).

Have a look at     www.formentera.co.uk if interested.

Riverman

Google Charco del Palo, Lanzarote.

MinRich

bedouin

Quote from: Riverman on December 24, 2014, 22:26:00 PM
Google Charco del Palo, Lanzarote.

As MinRich says, no beach, and it's a pretty miserable place with few facilities.

mickboy

Try Gran Canaria the Barceló hotel in playa del ingles has a rooftop area for naturists and saves time heading to the beach daily

amberambler

Look at hotel Naturplaya in  Colonia de St Pere.
Majorca. Mainly German clientele. We liked it in September this year.
Adjacent a naturist beach.
You really need a hire car though as it is a bit remote.

slotman

Armacao de Pera in the Algarve, walk to beach, turn left, cross small river that  runs into the sea and then walk for approx 20 mins, and there you will find a popular nudist area .

blackandwhite

Looking at a place in Crete called Vritomartis, gets good reviews online but I wonder has anyone stayed there ?

silent_running

Here's our list of 'all over tan' locations we enjoy, based on seasons:
Club Orient, St. Martin
Sailing - anywhere warm!
Hawksbill, Antigua
Plakias, Crete
Cap D'Agde (yeah!)
St. Cyprien Sud (can be like Cap D'Agde...)
San Stefanos, NW Corfu (very Brit)
Paros, Cyclades, Greece (probably very quiet now the Athenians have no money to party)
Little Banana, Skiathos, Greece (gone downhill recently)
Not forgetting Studland and the back garden!

bedouin

Quote from: blackandwhite on February 03, 2015, 09:51:28 AM
Looking at a place in Crete called Vritomartis, gets good reviews online but I wonder has anyone stayed there ?

We stayed there in 2011.  Very disappointing.  Here's the review I put on TripAdvisor:-

We were looking forward to staying at Vritomartis, and had made an internet booking for a Grand Bungalow, because these rooms have private terraces on 3 sides. When we arrived, the room we were allocated only had 1 terrace, but the receptionist insisted it was a Grand Bungalow, and even suggested that the small area at the top of the communal staircase was a terrace! On escalating the complaint to the manager, and referring him to the floor plan of the 3-terrace Grand Bungalow on the hotel's website, he finally admitted that our room wasn't a Grand Bungalow, and that it should not have been allocated to someone booking one on the internet (which raises a question about people who book one through other means!). As there wasn't a Grand Bungalow available, he offered to credit our account with the additional cost of the Grand Bungalow, and we accepted this. Just unfortunate that the receptionist tried to fob us off with lies.

On our third day, we took the shuttle bus to the beach. We were followed on to the beach by the waiter from the hotel's beach bar, who demanded our room number, wrote out a charge slip for the â,¬7.50 charge for sunbeds, and asked me to sign it, which I did. Later, after lunch, he again came to the beach and demanded payment in cash, which I naturally refused as I'd already signed a hotel charge slip. He stormed off, saying that he'd bring the manager within 5 minutes. This was extremely embarrassing for us. The manager didn't appear, of course, but when we went to board the shuttle bus back to the hotel, I was refused boarding and told I had to speak with some girl who said she was the manager's sister. I repeated that, having signed a charge slip as requested, I would definitely not pay cash. She insisted that all sunbeds should be paid in cash, but I said we'd take our complaint to the manager. Subsequently, my wife complained to the manager, who apologised for our embarrassment and didn't know why we'd been asked to sign a charge slip. We never got a proper explanation.

Vritomartis only sells half-board accommodation. As others have said, the breakfast buffet is OK, but the dinner buffet is disappointing. The salad bar looks appealing, but flies can be a problem (as in any outside location). The hot food was generally unappealing. My wife is a vegetarian, and virtually lived on salads the whole time we were there. I'm not a big meat eater, and had no appetite for "Rabbit Stew", or even the intriguing "male bird in Wine Sauce". When fish was available, it was generally unappealing, although the "Sole Meuniere" was OK - except that it wasn't Sole Meuniere, it was deep-fried battered fish.

Others have noted that there's a bit of a rush to eat when the dinner buffet opens at 1930. That's an understatement! Sometimes, the queue was really impressive. This might be a result of the fact that most of the clients are elderly, or it might be a reflection on the availability of food later in the service.

The pool bar/taverna was a whole different experience though; good food, freshly prepared, nicely presented. But extra cost of course, and not inexpensive - prices were about the same as I'd expect in the UK. The service however was excellent.

The on-site minimarket was useful for bottles of water, fruit juice, etc. And it was the only source of ice creams too - but bizarrely it closed all afternoon, just when you might yearn for an ice cream!

Similarly, having stayed in many naturist resorts in Europe and the Caribbean, we found it odd that, at Vritomartis, guests have to dress in the hotel buildings at all times.

The rooms were clean and presentable, with aircon and a mini-fridge. Although the bed was comfortable, it's worth noting that all the beds are built on a concrete base next to a wall, so if you're sleeping on the wall side you need to be agile enough to climb in.

The swimming pool is quite large and very clean. The showers next to the pool are plagued by wasps, and we saw one elderly guy stung as he showered. There's a separate shallow children's pool, too, although this can get very noisy as kids jump in and out whilst shouting loudly. There are free sunbeds around the pool and surrounding grass, but they are mainly old and tired and rather uncomfortable. And there are too few of them - to the extent that the hotel even put up signs telling people not to leave their towels on them if they weren't using them! On several days, we saw people having to lie on the grass.

The grounds around the pool are well-maintained; nicely planted, colourful and attractive. There's a little army of housekeepers who sweep the paths early in the morning.

The "activities coordinator", Irini, is lovely and tries very hard to get the guests to join in with pool aerobics, etc, and with trips. We were hoping to go on a boat trip, but thought that â,¬178 per couple for a short day trip was a bit expensive, so didn't book it. As it happens, I think the trip was cancelled anyway as the sea was too rough.

So, on balance, very disappointing. Was it good value? No. Would we go again? No.

blackandwhite

Thanks for that Tiger79,

I have seen varied reviews online but recent (last 2 years or so) are positive, it also seems to be rated among the top 5 naturist accom in Europe from what I read.  It especially is recommended for 1st timers and although we've done the Fuerty beaches we've never stayed in a resort.

Will think about it, thanks again.

B&W

bedouin

Vritomartis is only naturist around the pool area, and in your room.  You have to dress in the hotel buildings.  The little local beach (a minibus drive away) is rocky and not particularly nice.  For us, one of the main gripes was the scarcity of sunbeds, and the poor condition of the ones which were there.

Also note that the place is in the middle of nowhere.

blackandwhite

I saw that thanks, being in the sticks doesn't usually bother us as we nearly always hire a car for day trips and as Dear Leader isn't 100% convinced as to the benefits of 24 hour naturism this may well be a compromise that we can both live with.  Only other thing I would be a little concerned about is the flight to Chania gets in at 8 or 9 at night and I read that the road from Chania to Vrit. is through and over mountains.  Would it be a bit squeaky bum to be driving that road in the dark ?

Is there anywhere else you would recommend then ?  Ideally Europe as health reasons mean long haul is problematic for me. 

Thanks

paully

You could have a look at Costa Natura, outside of Estepona, which is clothing optional and would suit you both. Infiniti (now Fuerteventura Sun Club) in Correlejo which is the same. Should you wish to drive and fancy France you could have a look at this one: http://www.charentesoleil.com/ also clthing optional

If you want to stay in the UK have a look at http://www.pevorsfarm.co.uk/

Hope this helps
I HATE computer thingyss

bedouin

Quote from: blackandwhite on February 03, 2015, 15:42:59 PM
I saw that thanks, being in the sticks doesn't usually bother us as we nearly always hire a car for day trips and as Dear Leader isn't 100% convinced as to the benefits of 24 hour naturism this may well be a compromise that we can both live with.  Only other thing I would be a little concerned about is the flight to Chania gets in at 8 or 9 at night and I read that the road from Chania to Vrit. is through and over mountains.  Would it be a bit squeaky bum to be driving that road in the dark ?

Is there anywhere else you would recommend then ?  Ideally Europe as health reasons mean long haul is problematic for me. 

Thanks

We had taxi transfers to and from Vritomartis, and the road over the mountains is very "interesting".  I wouldn't want to drive it at night in a rental car.

One of the nicest family naturist resorts is Vera Playa, in mainland Spain. Big naturist beach, backed by one hotel and loads of apartment complexes.  The hotel is clothing optional in the daytime only (naturist in the pool).  Most of the apartment complexes are clothing optional (again, naturist in the pools).  There are naturist beach bars for lunch, and lots of local restaurants for dinner (not naturist).  The roads in the naturist zone are naturist too, so if you wish there's no real need to dress during the day.  We go every July!

TripleH

Hi Tiger, any recommendations in Vera Playa? Have been looking at there for a while now.

blackandwhite

Quote from: TripleH on February 03, 2015, 19:40:24 PM
Hi Tiger, any recommendations in Vera Playa? Have been looking at there for a while now.

Would appreciate info as well please.

bedouin

We usually stay in the Bahia de Vera apartment complex.  Nice, well-maintained grounds, fairly spacious, two swimming pools (indoor and outdoor), close to beach.  There's lots of information, maps, photos, etc, on www.veraplayafriends.com

It's about an hour's drive from Almeria or Murcia airports.  We use Murcia, as it's tiny and totally unstressed!

TripleH

Cheers for the info. I have looked at that website several times, very helpful. Do you have any apartment recommendations?

bedouin

All the rental apartments seem to be fairly good.  Just check the pics and descriptions.  Aircon is helpful in Jul/Aug/Sep.

blackandwhite

Just to follow up on previous posts, we  stayed at Vritomartis in July and loved it.  Superior Bungalow which was right beside the pool, aircon and spotlessly clean.  Food was good although not 5 star but staff were as good as anywhere we have been.  As was mentioned you have to put something on when in the main building but we knew that before we went. Drove from Chania airport through the White Mountains arriving at midnight, take your time and you will be fine. Loads of hairpin bends but road quality is fair. Hora Sfakion  is beautiful village and worth visiting, local naturist beach is not great but worth a visit.  Would we go again ? Without a doubt.

Sunshinekid

Over the years I have been to plenty of naturist friendly places.
Total Naturist
La jaquita Tenerife not sure if this place is still going.
La grande cosse. Near Montpellier France.
Vera Playa.  Spain
Near naturist Beach
Alicante region Spain. Best beach La Marina, also nice one Near Grand Alicante.
Formentera: Es Pujols but don't go between Early July to 2nd week in September as majority taken over by textiles.
Crete: Plakias, best naturist beach on Island. also near Micro Amoundi and numerous naturist friendly beaches. Plakias also has a forum webpage.
Carribean:
Antiga  Hawksbill Beach
St Marten Club Orient, 1st time I have seen security guard at naturist beach stopping textile walkers with camera's

blackandwhite

Thinking about Portugal for next summer and was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a place on the Algarve ? Any feedback much appreciated. Thanks

slotman

Armacao De Pera, go to the beach turn left and walk for 20 mins and you are there.

concerned cat

Armaceo de Pera beach to the left used to be full of gay males. Things may have changed as it's a few years since we ventured up the beach.

blackandwhite

Thank you for that, any suggestions for naturist accommodation like GHN or similar? There are a few advertised but would prefer a someone who has actually been there.

slotman

Don't know of any naturist accommodation , and both sexes on this beach.