El Toston Bar + Map

Started by TripleH, July 09, 2013, 20:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deso

Quote from: Dave Diggler on September 29, 2015, 14:13:02 PM
This is probably going to be classed as heresy, but here goes.... We've visited El Toston twice on our various hols, admittedly both times were under the previous owners.  The first time, the place was empty, brightly lit, little or no atmosphere & Eastenders was playing on the telly by the bar, we had one drink & left.  We gave it the benefit of the doubt & tried it again on our next trip, pretty much the same.  Not really the kind of place we seek out when abroad, or at home for that matter ::)  We'll have a walk past in October & see if 'owts changed.  I'm not saying it's a bad place, just not our taste that's all.  There are bars with better atmosphere & service to be had, Ferrets for starters.

Are they grilled or fried?   ;D
Regards, Neil
Looking forward to the day I tick the "One way only" box when booking flights to Fuerte. [:)]

Ivemovedon

went in for a breakfast a couple of weeks ago. Breakfast ok, nobody else in there and the guy serving who i assume was the owner seemed very withdrawn. No attempt to strike up a conversation other than ordering and paying. In a place like Cotillo you need to be a bit more welcoming and show a bit of character to get repeat business. Most of the other establishments seemed to be doing ok. Tosten was empty on the few occasions we passed by.

Dave Diggler

Quote from: Deso on September 29, 2015, 18:10:36 PM
Quote from: Dave Diggler on September 29, 2015, 14:13:02 PM
This is probably going to be classed as heresy, but here goes.... We've visited El Toston twice on our various hols, admittedly both times were under the previous owners.  The first time, the place was empty, brightly lit, little or no atmosphere & Eastenders was playing on the telly by the bar, we had one drink & left.  We gave it the benefit of the doubt & tried it again on our next trip, pretty much the same.  Not really the kind of place we seek out when abroad, or at home for that matter ::)  We'll have a walk past in October & see if 'owts changed.  I'm not saying it's a bad place, just not our taste that's all.  There are bars with better atmosphere & service to be had, Ferrets for starters.

Are they grilled or fried?   ;D

stuffed & wrapped in bacon, with melted butter dripping off their little noses :P

chrisandco

So, you are posting negative comments based on what someone else has told you (gossip) rather than trying it for yourself.
We have been going to "El Toston" bar since we moved here 10 years ago. Yes it has changed ownership and the new owners have had every obstacle put in their way but, guess what, they are making a success of it.
Cotillo is a difficult place to run a bar. August is total wipeout with people from Gran Canaria (Alan and Gayle used to close for a month). But this year they kept open, apart from the last week of "Fiesta" with live music every Friday as well.
They have changed the menu to be a bit more cosmopolitan, rather than "Brits abroad" and are attracting people of different nationalities.
The last time we were there for a music night, the bar was really buzzing.
There is live music every Friday and, during December and January, open mike folk nights.
The TV is never on when we have been in.
One lesson that we have learned living here is to only believe, at the most 50% of what people tell you.
Try it for yourself. You never know, you may actually enjoy it.
Anyone here at the moment, try the live music tonight.
Chris

chrisandco

Didn't assume anything. Your words:
"Thought we would try El Toston but too many negative verbal reports" So you obviously didn't try it this time.
You say that "you think" that you tried it 3 times since Alan and Gayle left but it was shut. When was this?
They, like every other bar, post their opening times on the outside so, if it was shut the first time it seems pointless going back when they are shut again.
Anyway, they can't please everyone. The majority that go there seem to enjoy it.

Ivemovedon

Watched many a footie match in there while supping a pint or two over the years. You must stick to live music night if you've never seen the tv on.

Think i saw soap operas going a few times too. But didn't take much notice as i hate them.

As for comments being gossip i thought this was a review site where truthful experiences of particular bars/restaurants were encouraged. If you cant post the negative along with the positive its a waste of time for everyone other than the bar owners. It might just as well be a business advertisement. The problem has always been there on this forum, as what one person regards as a review, another person regards as being slander.

For this site to be of any use at all to anyone other than the ex pats who regularly frequent these places and are friends with the owners, you must be able to post a bad experience along with the good without being jumped on.

chrisandco

For some reason, the posts that I aswered have been deleted.
The point that I made was that he/she was making negative comments based on gossip rather than their own experience.
There are plenty of bars and restaurants to choose from. If you don't like one,  that is your personal view. They can't please everyone.
By the way, I have been in on many occasions since the new owners took over and no TV. I Know that they have some rugby and possibly football but they advertise in advance so, if you are not interested,  you can go elsewhere.

Ivemovedon

As you say there are lots of bars and restaurants to choose from. Thats the whole reason for having reviews, so it gives people a fighting chance of managing to fit in the ones that might suit them in a week or fortnight. Its why tripadvisor and the like are so popular for information. Unfortunately we don't all live there and most aren't privy to the knowledge you have of local places.

Personally i have no problem with a TV on the go in a bar. If i didn't like what was on i'd ignore it. It doesn't stop conversation .

MinRich

Gossip is opinions of others , some of us are intelligent enough to separate fact from fiction too and make judgements on what we believe and what we don't . Why do we have review sites like tripadvisor or similar ? I deleted the posts as you fail to see or hear what others are saying.

jg

Any opinion is only any use after you have calibrated the other person's preferences against your own.

To quote GBS in his maxims for revolutionaries: Do not do unto others as you would they should do unto you. Their tastes may not be the same.
JG

Ivemovedon

If you took that maxim literally you would have to shut down the whole forum as virtually every post is an opinion of some kind. Its best left for who it was intended...revolutionaries.

As said before reviews are for those intelligent enough to decipher anothers opinion and form one of their own.

Dave Diggler

The first law of fora:-  If someone doesn't agree with you, they're obviously wrong ::)

suendrob

We went back to El Toston around 9-9.30 one evening, during our El Cotillo week (first week of October). One group of about 8 sat on the terrace, nobody sat inside. The barman, who we guess to be the son in the owning family was walking to the bar in front of us. He went behind the bar, wrote a bill, tidied some glasses etc and had a wipe round before acknowledging us. His service was basic, no greeting, just what would you like?, no attempt to engage. Paid at the bar, then we sat outside. One of the sitting group had an acoustic guitar, and they had a bit of a sing-along, quite fun.
For us, when we're on holiday venue, location, view, atmosphere are most important. Maybe we just went on an off-day, but we were less impressed than last year. The view is still good.
This was our experience on only one visit, but it was enough to turn us off. Unfairly, perhaps, but many others make equally quick judgements as well. There are several other bars in town, so in our opinion, they need to raise their game. Whenever we walk past the seahorse, it's always busy, so it must suit a lot of people.

Ivemovedon

it certainly suits the local bar flies.

Dave Diggler

Just got back from a week in Cotillo, we poked our noses in at El Toston & carried on walking (well, walked back down the steps ::)) & tried the Coyote Bar next door.  El Toston just doesn't look....inviting :-[

suendrob

When we went, there was one other person sat in the corner of the terrace - Dear old Martin, still wearing his short shorts. He hasn't been out for a couple of years, he's struggling a bit, physically, but it was good to have a chat. Nice to see that he got back to the place he loves.