Advice Please - Safety at Gran Natura

Started by Victoria.S, April 27, 2017, 08:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Victoria.S

I will be arriving in Corralejo 2 weeks before my husband and don't know whether to book the Gran Natura for 4 weeks or to book 2 weeks somewhere else followed by 2 weeks at Gran Natura.

I would very much like to stay at Gran Natura for the whole time and although I am very comfortable about being there on my own during daylight , it does appear to be a bit isolated and I have concerns about returning on my own if I go into town of an evening.  I was wondering how social/active the bar is at Gran Natura - could I spend my evenings there or would I need to go into town. If I did go into town and got s taxi home is the drop off point in a well lit area.

I'm not the nervous type but just want to make sure I stay safe and would be grateful for your advice

bedouin

If you go into town, the staff can phone for a taxi to collect you at the door to Gran Natura.  A return taxi can similarly drop you right by the door, in a reasonably well-lit area.

The number of people in the bar varies according to who's staying - sometimes it can be busy, other times less so.

I never feel that Fuerteventura is a particularly hostile place (in contrast say to Gran Canaria, where there's a lot of crime).

I guess your safest solution is to stay in a large all-inclusive hotel where you never need to go outside at night, but Gran Natura is a more pleasant place to spend daytimes!  I'm there for a week in a couple of weeks' time.

MalT

We live not too far from grand natura on grandes playas, a taxi should cost in region of 5-6 euros. It's a quiet area, but never see. Any anti social behaviour.

helsbelles

We (me & hubby) visit regularly, go into town most nights and have never seen anything to worry about when returning to Gran Natura. As MaIT says, it is a quite area of an evening but is reasonably well lit with good all round visibility outside the entrance. The entrance to Gran Natura is kept locked and you will need your key to get in - you get a key ring with 4 different keys when you check in and we always mark the main entrance key so that we don't have to hunt for the right key when returning of an evening.

In general we have always found the other guests to be friendly and well behaved but how sociable the bar is of an evening depends upon who is staying. My experience is that most people visit the bar/restaurant for dinner and leave after their meal and apart from the theme nights (BBQ etc) there are very few people sat around talking.

If you are comfortable getting a taxi back of an evening (safe taxi ranks in town) then my advice would be to book Gran Natura for the full 4 weeks.

jg

If you want to be more economical there is a stop for the number 6 bus to Puerto Rosario near the water park just off the main drag and it stops within about 50 yards of GN.
Timetable here.
JG

Victoria.S

Thank you all.

Yesterday, I booked the Gran Natura for the full 4 weeks. It will be my first time in Corralejo. 4 years since I last visited the island and I'm really looking forward to it.

bedouin

Victoria.S

Quote from: bedouin on April 30, 2017, 08:39:50 AM
Excellent, enjoy it!

It's going to be tough being naked in the sunshine for 4 weeks but I'll do my best to enjoy lol.

MalT

It's a tough life, 😎 Enjoy Corralejo it's great place

blackandwhite

You'll have no problems at all, as has been mentioned already taxis are cheap and plentiful and the area is well lit. Enjoy your holiday.

jg

In fifteen years of holidaying in Corralejo and eating out most evenings we have never encountered anything approaching antisocial behaviour
JG

Victoria.S

This is all very reassuring and I really do appreciate everybody taking the trouble to post. I've got about 19 weeks to go weeks and I think I'm going to be wishing my life away for the next few months.