Buy a beach shelter?

Started by Roger 1, January 09, 2015, 12:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger 1

Mention was made in another thread of buying a beach shelter.  Are these easily available in Fuerteventura?

We'll be staying at the F Princess later in the year.  Having previously experienced the wind in the North, it seems to me that buying a beach shelter could prove advantageous.  We have a windbreak that we sometimes use in the UK but I'm thinking that it would not be usable in soft sand.

So could we buy one (or two?) in Fuerteventura near the FP, or buy one in the UK before we go?    If yes, would it/they fit into BA's baggage allowance (1x 32kg + 1x 23kg each as we have BA status)? Or just go without?

Grateful for your advice.

Magoo

We have a small York shelter that packs into the suitcase quite easily.  As for anchoring it down, plastic carrier bags full of sand will do the trick.

Alas I don't know if you can get them on Fuerty, but at a guess I would say yes

isleswing

Plenty available on the Island, around 15-18 european currency units. That makes it a bit expensive to use and leave, I think. About 2 kilo weight.
We take one we got from Lidl, about £10 in season. Around 1.5 kilo.

bedouin

Plentiful and cheap on the island.  I think we only paid about â,¬12 last year for one.  Give it away at the end of the holiday.

decho

Yep there's plenty available and fairly cheap....just don't try and peg it down or it will end up in Lanzarote! As already suggested carrier bags with sand work well providing it has a sewn in groundsheet. Some even have pockets built in which would can fill with sand.

Roger 1

Thanks, folks.  Very useful info.  :)

I rather like the idea of recycling (â,¬12 and give away) but I'll discuss with The Boss and see what she prefers.

I also like the idea of filling carrier bags with sand as ballast.

bedouin

Quote from: Roger 1 on January 10, 2015, 15:22:02 PM
I also like the idea of filling carrier bags with sand as ballast.

Many beaches on the island have copious supplies of nicely-rounded rocks, which are rather cleaner and easier to use as weights.

MinRich

We bought about ten small waterproof wash bags from a poundland or similar , they have a drawstring pull closing at the top to tie to your guy ropes and fill with sand . Then you can pitch it anywhere . We have seen no end of fun watching people pitch these , they really are only for stopping the wind blast and are little use for keeping the sun off. Seen alot more people with a parasol (to keep sun off) in recent years , the locals use parasols and then hold down all the corners of it with string and rocks.  Our wash bags idea would do the same thing .... Best pic i can find with no nude people in it !

Don't know what happened to the photo but just click on it should bring up a bigger photo

decho

If you are near a SportsZone shop they also sell a parasol with 'wings' which can be attached to it, then if you pitch if at an Angle the wings come done to the ground and they have pockets for holding sand....works quite well.

sun lovers

We always take out beach shelter and level wind break - total weight about 3kg. We also take folding plastic chairs which only adds another 4kg. As we always go nude and only wear lightweight clothes in the evening there's no problem.

As stated above, certainly on the beaches of Jandia Peninsula there are always lots of black basalt rocks to weight the ropes etc. we often find that its beneficial to cwtch in at the back of the beach on windy days where there are often stone circles, cliffs or macchia bushes to provide additional shelter. 8)

falkirkdan

I have always taken the beach shelter with me.    I have had some fantastic fun putting it up until I learned the poly bag with sand in each corner trick.   One time thought I was going to get whipped off El Colitto lagoon and end in America.   I hung on and on then someone came to my rescue.

MinRich

El Colitto  :P

I sent you a message Dan ... Obviously systems not working .. Mary and Alan are retiring in March

falkirkdan

I sent you an email reply Rich

Lee@Joyce

Got ours at Go Outdoors about £8 it has the pockets and fits in the hand luggage it also has the pockets you fill yourself

mickboy

Quote from: Lee@Joyce on January 20, 2015, 20:21:45 PM
Got ours at Go Outdoors about £8 it has the pockets and fits in the hand luggage it also has the pockets you fill yourself

Do you have a product code for the one you bought please?

Lee@Joyce

Roger

If you go to the go outdoors web site type in beach shelter it is the hi gear one and costs £9.99 if you have the discount card which costs a fiver for the year. Looked for a product code but didn't see one but I can azure you it does the job

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-beach-tent-p200320

hungerdunger

Just a thought - on my last holiday in November we had dreadful weather, and I was glad to have bought a shelter with a zip up front.  This kept me fairly snug and dry until the rain started soaking through the seams!