Autism Service Dpg

Started by autiemum, January 22, 2015, 21:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

autiemum

Hi there.  I have just booked a 10 day holiday in August with my husband and 2 children.  Both of my children are autistic, and the younger child has an autism service dog.  She is a goldendoodle and wears a jacket when she is working, much like a guide dog.  We plan to bring her with us as she has the same access rights as a guide dog here in Ireland.  I'm just wondering if this will be an issue on the island?  She is used to going into restaurants, shops etc and is very well behaved.  Also is it difficult to get good quality dog food (the dry stuff) to save us from having to pack this?  Any advice would be welcome.  Thank you.

TamaraEnLaPlaya

Hi
I've got no idea about whether your daughter's dog will be able to go into shops, restaurants etc, but I can assure you that good quality dry dog food is available in many outlets, especially from vet's shops. What area of the island are you going to? What is the usual brand of dog food you use? Our vet in Corralejo caters for all sorts of special dietary needs and I'm sure this will be the case across the island.
Some of the forum members are bar/restaurant owners so hopefully they will be able to answer the access part of your question.

autiemum

Thank you for the reply.  We will be staying in Corralejo.  At the moment she is on the James Beloved food, but any good quality brand for dogs with sensitive tummies would be fine.

TamaraEnLaPlaya

Ok. We and the vet we use are in Corralejo. Do you know the town at all? The vet is Ruth Blanco and she is in a turning off the FV1 road, just before (and on the same side as) the Centro Salud as you head towards the port. I'll try to work out how to post a map with a indicator on it! They stock Royal Canin foods and seem to have every possible variation on the shelves. They will also order anything and it arrives normally within a couple of days. I'll have a look next time I'm in there and see what they have for sensitive tummies  :D
Ruth speaks brilliant English and is very kind with the dogs so this would be a good place to know in case your dog has any troubles while here.

autiemum

Thank you Tamara.  That would be brilliant.  It will save us having to bring a load of food for Izzie.  It's also great to have a contact for a good vet.  Hopefully she will be OK.  She will mainly be working in the evening when we go out to eat.  We will find her a nice shady spot for during the day.

TamaraEnLaPlaya

I was to talking to Ruth, our dog's vet, yesterday and asked her about Assistance dogs being admitted to restaurants. She thought there was unlikely to be a problem if the dog is wearing a 'working jacket' but will check with another customer who has a guide dog to see if they have encountered any resistance.
Ruth would be very interested to meet your dog if you are able to spare a few minutes to pop in when you are over. Perhaps we could arrange something nearer the time - combine with picking up food perhaps?

autiemum

Hi Tamara.  Thanks so much for your help.  We would be delighted to bring Izzie to meet Ruth.  I will be in contact in July to arrange this.  We are staying from the 15th - 25th of August.  Thanks again, Trish

Snowdrop

Re restaurants - contact casa manolo (Corralejo) on their facebook page to see if they will welcome your son's dog.  It is just off Main Street opposite cruz Roja (Red Cross)  and rock island pub.  It's a fantastic family run spanish restaurant.  Front of house is by their son and daughter who both speak good English and are very welcoming and friendly and the daughter Maria loves her dog.   Plus the food is simply divine - good luck :-)