Starling card

Started by Beachfun, September 11, 2018, 09:01:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beachfun

Hi anyone used a starling card and how have they found the exchange rate and if they have what atm did they use that is hopefully free of charge in corralejo.....?

spitfire58

Never heard of that one Beachfun. It`s always Revolut I use.

Beachfun

Recommended highly but just wondering if anybody had used it in fuerte 👍

beachlife

Not used the Starling card but use 2 others.

Fair FX euro card which gives the best rate, however while there is no cost to use it you can`t withdraw money from an atm free. So I use this for any shopping, meals amd fuel.

I also use Caxton FX which gives a lower rate than FairFX but you can withdraw from most atm`s  for free.

Can certainly recommend these 2 cards for use on the island.

Beachfun

Used the card and really good was getting rate of 1.1247so will be using it from now on miles better than any exchange rate... Used it in supermarket, shops and hotel excellent..

Windermeregolfer

Quote from: beachlife on September 17, 2018, 19:22:11 PM
Not used the Starling card but use 2 others.

Fair FX euro card which gives the best rate, however while there is no cost to use it you can`t withdraw money from an atm free. So I use this for any shopping, meals amd fuel.

I also use Caxton FX which gives a lower rate than FairFX but you can withdraw from most atm`s  for free.

Can certainly recommend these 2 cards for use on the island.

Hi Beachlife - re Fair FX card which is recommended my Martin Lewis on his Money Saving Expert website saying no fee for purchases and they only charge a 1.50â,¬ fee for a cash withdrawal,  so if you take out say 200â,¬ it is only 0.75% but the advantage is you can take out larger amounts (as long you have loaded it)  and more than 2 withdrawals a month.
I have a Fair FX card loaded with Sterling ready for a 3 week trip to South Africa in January when we may need to make more than 3 withdrawals

I see this  morning on the Martin Lewis site he recommending the Starling Bank Card - https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money/

Lexeus

I would watch out with FairFX for card expiry dates. I had plenty of euros and dollars on cards with them, thinking I would just use them for my next trip, but then I had to pay to renew the card and I couldn't get my money back from them without paying to renew the card, it's a con. In the end they got about £30 from me, they introduced a dormant card charge fee too, so once I decided it wasn't worth renewing the Euro card they deducted my remaining funds as "fees". I think that was the game plan from the beginning, as I was an early adopter and first got a card from them over 10 years ago, they must have made a fortune from those dormancy fees.