Recent Corralejo Visit

Started by Tamkid, May 04, 2018, 20:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie dont surf

Quote from: Ivemovedon on May 05, 2018, 20:33:50 PM
Sorry but I ( and the wife ) quite like Corralejo. Enough to still go there fairly regularly after selling up a few years ago. Stay at a great little hotel called the Avanti right in the heart of the town, with a lovely restaurant and very nice staff, Bit of something for everyone in good old Corrie, nice little harbour , English bars, continental bars, restaurants of all descriptions, pretty good shopping if you so fancy, nice little local beach....what's not to like?. I reckon the accusation of scum on the streets is a way over the top criticism and is only leveled by someone who appears very bitter about the place for some reason. Get a car and visit Lajares and El Cotillo a stones throw away...both places well worth a visit. Yep I suppose i am biased, but when we were buying we looked deeply into Caleta as well as Corralejo. The compromise was being in a great village not far from Corralejo. We still visit Caleta and Jandia but are always glad to get back to dear old Corrie.

If we ever thought of buying again , much as we like Corralejo, it would be Grand Tarajal for us. Love the place.

Sounds like you're half heartedly talking the place up but in reality you end up reminiscing about how good old Corrie used to be. Sometimes you've just got to get over the ex.

Snowdrop

you Should name the bars 1. so maybe the problems gets rectified and 2.it doesn`t put people off going in any of the other places along that row.
The Loft is there which doesn`t as far as I know have any guy working the bar and is very clean.  So if I recall right that leaves the Scottish Bar and the on next to it - do you refer to these?

Ivemovedon

Quote from: Charlie dont surf on May 05, 2018, 22:54:40 PM
Quote from: Ivemovedon on May 05, 2018, 20:33:50 PM
Sorry but I ( and the wife ) quite like Corralejo. Enough to still go there fairly regularly after selling up a few years ago. Stay at a great little hotel called the Avanti right in the heart of the town, with a lovely restaurant and very nice staff, Bit of something for everyone in good old Corrie, nice little harbour , English bars, continental bars, restaurants of all descriptions, pretty good shopping if you so fancy, nice little local beach....what's not to like?. I reckon the accusation of scum on the streets is a way over the top criticism and is only leveled by someone who appears very bitter about the place for some reason. Get a car and visit Lajares and El Cotillo a stones throw away...both places well worth a visit. Yep I suppose i am biased, but when we were buying we looked deeply into Caleta as well as Corralejo. The compromise was being in a great village not far from Corralejo. We still visit Caleta and Jandia but are always glad to get back to dear old Corrie.

If we ever thought of buying again , much as we like Corralejo, it would be Grand Tarajal for us. Love the place.

Sounds like you're half heartedly talking the place up but in reality you end up reminiscing about how good old Corrie used to be. Sometimes you've just got to get over the ex.

No not half hearted at all. We still go there so its not really an ex either. More like an old friend. Have to say we would not like to have lived there full time,  but having our old place a few miles way was ideal. And a week or two there now is great as long as you have a car and can travel around the island. A good base you might say.

erik_tonny

Quote from: Charlie dont surf on May 05, 2018, 19:28:15 PM
Each to their own but Corralejo attracts and will always attract the same type of person. Those looking for a cheap holiday, cheap booze, cheap cigarettes, cheap entertainment, yeah, generally anything cheap. And if you are British, any excuse to take your shirt off and walk down the main drag. If I ever had to go there i always breathed a sigh of relief when I was on the way out. If Corralejo (or Caleta) rocks your boat then that's great as it keeps you away from the nicer places on the island.
You hit the nail right on the head!
Some while ago Corralejo had a cool, relaxed, lay back, stress free atmosphere.

Banjo

I've visited a lot these past 5 years or so, including 3 times to El Cotillo in the past 10 months and I've noticed some subtle changes.

There seems to be more French and Italians around. I noticed in one of the free local papers that French and Italians were actively  being courted for holiday home opportunities.

In some ways there's a lot more affluence around. Range Rovers, BMs, Audis and Mercs are becoming more common.

Some of the comments on this thread are outrageously exaggerated. There are a few people around that I wouldn't holiday with but you get that everywhere. I'd like to see how the people dress who have made these comments, I'm sure they never look anything other than dapper.

It's easier to spot scruffyness amongst your own kind too. Are you really trying to tell me that the Spanish who seem to live their lives in tatty jeans and a 2 quid tee-shirt actually look much better?

I agree about the British pubs though; the decent ones seem to be outnumbered by less endearing establishments. It must be hard keeping a business afloat though. If those Brit bars weren't there would there be anything in its place? I'm not so sure but maybe just more Chinese junk shops, nobody seems to be offended by them.

I looked at buying over a few years ago. I dithered, 2 kids at uni at the time and an  uncertainty as to how much time I could spend here made me nervy about the venture. The way prices have gone it's probably passed me by now but never say never. I could buy and rent it out but I wouldn't fancy entrusting that to somebody 2 and a half thousand miles away.  I have property rented out at home, ten minutes from where I live and I'm on it same day if there are any issues.

Corralejo is still a beautiful place, I'm going to stay there next time I come. I love the harbour area early mornings, I can stroll round there for hours. Any tourist area will have its drawbacks but people making derogatory comments about the place don't really understand what kind of resort it is, no matter how long they've lived or did live here. That in itself shows a certain degree of ignorance and that's nothing to shout about.

One word of warning to those slagging off the fat tattood sorts though; you want to hope that the Russians don't come in numbers; now there's a race of people to avoid. Better dressed...better built...better get out if they come.

One last thing and I know it's been mentioned on here a hundred times or more - those scooters have got to go. The riders are not being policed and  undoubtedly there's going to be a serious accident at one time or other.

dagwood

Hi Banjo, your the only one other than Tamkid participating in this topic that has made sense so far, and that includes me. But then I`m only stirring up a certain few that have an personal agenda in belittling most things that are not exactly the way that believe it should be. (As we would do it back home mentality) No other opinions count.
I must say you post was first class.

Banjo

Thanks dagwood, I do wonder about the future of the place. It won't stay under-developed and under invested in as it is forever but right now I'll take it and all its quirks for as long as is possible.

I have this nightmare vision of seeing wall to wall all-inclusive hotels once the big developers arrive but hopefully it never comes to that.

"We've never had it so good" and all that.

Banjo

Quote from: Banjo on May 06, 2018, 11:17:33 AM
Thanks dagwood, I do wonder about the future of the place. It won't stay under-developed and under invested in as it is forever but right now I'll take it and all its quirks for as long as is possible.

I have this nightmare vision of seeing wall to wall all-inclusive hotels once the big developers arrive but hopefully it never comes to that.

"Wou've never had it so good" and all that.

Exactly, people can nit pick but Fue is still special and mainly safe. Theres a lot to be thankful for.

Ivemovedon

You're tainted goods now daggie or no daggie. There will always be that little touch of doubt unfortunately. By the way daggies gone very quiet. He's not on your flight is he?.   ;) :D

dagwood

Quote from: Ivemovedon on May 06, 2018, 17:29:25 PM
You're tainted goods now daggie or no daggie. There will always be that little touch of doubt unfortunately. By the way daggies gone very quiet. He's not on your flight is he?.   ;) :D

Jet2 are you joking. They fly to Arlenes Ulster from Fuerteventura. To an old disused RAF field that was once used for motorbike racing.
Not to the beautiful cosmopolitan Major European city of Dublin.
I wantNone of your washed up almost broke British airlines with the exception of Eazyjet.
Its Ryanair or Aer Lingus for me.

MalT

Love it😂 one bunch of tourists complaining about  another bunch of tourists, you really are sad people 😎

Banjo

Quote from: vivafuerte on May 08, 2018, 13:00:19 PM
ive heard on the grape vine that those 2 eye sores by the dunes on way into corralejo from the flag beach have been sold and will be made usable soon, anyone else heard this ?

The big buildings? I thought some more blockwork  had gone in since I  last saw it but maybe not?

Tamkid

I did notice the old buildings half way along the main coast road from the Airport to Corralejo are now an unofficial YOGA centre??? The dilapidated buildings going into Corralejo I thought were owned by
the Bahia, someone mentioned it was going to be demolished and the land used as a car park for the Bahia???? probably a wild rumour.