Best Beach

Started by funcouple2016, November 03, 2016, 17:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

funcouple2016

Ok so I would be interested to find out what your favourite naturist friendly beach is we generally visit Cotillo Corallejo & Sotavento (Jandia) which each have different characteristics, but are we missing out on any better ones?

bedouin

No, you're not missing any.  Sotavento is by far the best.

Will196

People have different ideas of best. Our favorite beach on the Spanish mainland takes I guess 30 minutes to drive to. Most of that on a dusty gravel road. You need to pack in everything. Water,food,umbrella etc. But it is gorgeous.

Other people want somebody to set up the umbrella for them. Bring them drinks.

What are you looking for?

funcouple2016

Typed a long reply to this then filled in 20 questions & still my post never appeared is it because I am new here that I keep having all this security to fill in on every post??

See if this one goes thru!  (11:18am)

Johnrgby2

Quote from: funcouple2016 on November 04, 2016, 11:19:01 AM
is it because I am new here that I keep having all this security to fill in on every post??

See if this one goes thru!  (11:18am)

You only have to go thru the overly protective nonsense about 6/7 times then it goes away :)

funcouple2016

Will try to post this again....
What are we looking for?

1) Sotavento, great flat beach easy to walk out and swim in the sea but no protection from the wind & can get sand blasted, & no beach bar nearby.
2) Corallejo great for Reynaldo's beach bar, stone circles  but sea a bit choppy and rocky.
3) El Cotilo, great for Sottovento restaurant , stone circles sandy beach & catching the sunset.
4) Ajuy nice quiet bay walk round to the caves and restaurants by the beach but the black sand is not as nice as the sandy beaches.

So they all have pluses & minuses :)

No for my 20 questions!

bedouin

Have you tried Mal Nombre, just south of Sotavento?  Nice beach (depending on recent weather conditions).  Nice beach bar (Tierra Dorada - try the sizzling garlic prawns!).  Sunloungers for hire, with some fabric-type windbreaks around them.  About 50% naturist on a good day, but need to dress for the beach bar.

Magoo

Try playa Juan Gomez on the Jandea peninsula. The turn off is near the Cofete junction & is on the East side, so a lot calmer. Take everything you need as there is nothing else there. Beware as it can be a rental car wrecker if you are not careful 

bedouin

Quote from: Magoo on November 05, 2016, 16:05:59 PM
Beware as it can be a rental car wrecker if you are not careful

Hmmmm....

SoCal

Quote from: funcouple2016 on November 04, 2016, 12:42:44 PM

1) Sotavento, great flat beach easy to walk out and swim in the sea but no protection from the wind & can get sand blasted, & no beach bar nearby.
2) Corallejo great for Reynaldo's beach bar, stone circles  but sea a bit choppy and rocky.
3) El Cotilo, great for Sottovento restaurant , stone circles sandy beach & catching the sunset.
4) Ajuy nice quiet bay walk round to the caves and restaurants by the beach but the black sand is not as nice as the sandy beaches.

I really can't name a "bad" beach. And I'm particularly in favor of linking a nice beach with good food and drink. Reynaldo's is fun - the grilled prawns in garlic and oil are delightful with a cold beer.  Thumbs up!

And La Pared's beach isn't bad on the south side and it allows one to visit Bahia La Pared, which is probably the best place on the island for fish.

But I simply don't understand the appeal of Sottovento. I've tried it several times, tasting numerous dishes and each time walked away either unimpressed or annoyed with myself for trying it again. (Some people never learn.) The pasta does not taste particularly fresh and some of the dishes were completely over-salted. This is odd because a heavily salted meal is less common in Italy. I remember on particular fish dish I saved only by taking it home and recooking it with other ingredients.

If you are going to link a El Cotillo with a restaurant, may I suggest Bar Torino or Azzurro. The mussels, octopus and prawns at Torino's are excellent. And if you ask, often they have a fresh fish catch of the day. (I was so spoiled by the good seafood in Fuerteventura, that when I returned to California, I found the fish here inedible. )

So if you can recommend a dish at Sottovento, I might try one last time.
Biking and beaches - total freedom

Will196

QuoteBut I simply don't understand the appeal of Sottovento. I've tried it several times, tasting numerous dishes and each time walked away either unimpressed or annoyed with myself for trying it again

Are you wondering about the beach or the food?  ???

I doubt there are more then a handful of Spanish restaurants making Italian food to Italian palates. Why would they? They need to sell to their customers

jg

Quote from: SoCal on November 06, 2016, 04:15:34 AM

So if you can recommend a dish at Sottovento, I might try one last time.
I admire your perseverance.
JG

funcouple2016

Quote from: bedouin on November 04, 2016, 17:42:05 PM
Have you tried Mal Nombre, just south of Sotavento?  Nice beach (depending on recent weather conditions).  Nice beach bar (Tierra Dorada - try the sizzling garlic prawns!).  Sunloungers for hire, with some fabric-type windbreaks around them.  About 50% naturist on a good day, but need to dress for the beach bar.

To be honest the beach we go to seems to be called a few different names Playa De la Barca is what the sign says of the FV2  We park by the Meliá Gorriones Hotel & walk down from there. Love it when you have to paddle through the water to get to the higher ground when the tide is in watching all the fish swim around you. We have to walk quite a way to get free of the windsurfers though.

bedouin

Quote from: funcouple2016 on November 07, 2016, 11:03:41 AM

To be honest the beach we go to seems to be called a few different names Playa De la Barca is what the sign says of the FV2  We park by the Meliá Gorriones Hotel & walk down from there. Love it when you have to paddle through the water to get to the higher ground when the tide is in watching all the fish swim around you. We have to walk quite a way to get free of the windsurfers though.

Try driving a bit further south, to the Risco el Paso turn-off, and go down to the beach there.  Walking south from there is superb!

Or drive further down the FV-2 to the turn-off at km77, and go to Mal Nombre (follow the signs to Tierra Dorada restaurant).

funcouple2016

Try driving a bit further south, to the Risco el Paso turn-off, and go down to the beach there.  Walking south from there is superb!

Or drive further down the FV-2 to the turn-off at km77, and go to Mal Nombre (follow the signs to Tierra Dorada restaurant).

Thanks Bedouin

We have been to the beach bar at Risco el Paso a few times but never walked South so will give that a try. Tends to be lot of textiles near the beach bar area tho.

Will also look for Mal Nombre, we generally drive down to Morro Jable for a Guinness in the Irish Bar (Boot & Ball), every trip & the beach opposite there is pretty good also.

But as someone said on here there are no bad beaches on the island really :)

We fly out Thursday morning so cant wait to get on the beach, I was scraping the ice of my car this morning!

janandpaul

have a great time! we all want to go now the weather has turned. 8)

Kazncraig

Got to be Flag beach for us followed by El Cotillo or is it the other way round? Just love them both!!!

SoCal

Quote from: Will196 on November 06, 2016, 06:52:36 AM
Are you wondering about the beach or the food?  ???

I doubt there are more then a handful of Spanish restaurants making Italian food to Italian palates. Why would they? They need to sell to their customers

The restaurant. And based on my experience, there is no shortage of Italian speaking tourists in the area. But at least there are no persons from the U.S.A. ;-)

Best beach for walking: no doubt in my mind - the region around Risco del Paso. Unfortunately, the food is pretty poor. Good cold beer though!
Biking and beaches - total freedom

Will196

Italian cooking and taste changes with every town and neighbourhood. Italian tourist complain about Italian cooking the moment the walk out of mama's kitchen