Walk up the volcano at Corralejo

Started by Steve54, May 08, 2018, 16:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve54

Hi there

Does anyone know if there is still an organised walk up the volcano in Corralejo.
A guy from DC, now the village, used to run one once a week I seem to remember
Due to a change in personal circumstances I now have the option to do the walk, if it is still happening
Any details, date and time etc, would be very useful. I am in Corralejo from May 20th to June 14th

Steve

Snowdrop

Post on corralejo we love you page maybe.  is his name Gary Johnson sure I read that he still does them but don`t know what day nor time

MalT

Think Gary does it on Thursday now meet at alysosis. At 9.55, pay Gary bit of beer money, but be prepared for the world according to Gary, always interesting, a capitalist plot and intriguing, he`s a great guy

el caballo hambriento

Is this the volcano which you access from Morro Francisco?

simmey

MaIt is right, Gary Johnston Smith takes the walk every Thursday at 9.55am from Alisos playa reception, he takes a donation for beer money and gets you back for 1pm ish, it`s a good track so you need to wear the right shoes. I did it in October last year, really enjoyed it.

Elite of the forum

Its easy to do yourself you can see the paths up eitherside just make your way there ,2 yrs ago last time i was up there i walked along the tops towards Tam dropped down and walked back through the valley towards the new road and into town.
do illiterate people really get the benefits of alphabet soup

dee-dee

Was there 2 weeks ago,if you fancy going in a group meet Gary at the Alisios Playa reception at 9.55am on  Thursday  ;D

Steve54

Did the walk on my own a week last Thursday, very enjoyable indeed once at the top where the views are outstanding !

The paths are all loose stone and very easy to lose your footing, sensible shoes are a must.

A good head for heights is also needed on the way up as it is very steep in places, its better not to look back !

That start is the most confusing part as you have to either go through the quarry, or go to the end of the road and then turn in

I did hear that the organized walk had issues on that particular Thursday, May 24th, and ended up in someones garden, how true that is I do not know.

Has anyone else heard of the problem with the walk that day ?

Logitechtom

If you visit the website below, and then download the PDF leaflet, you will have a detailed description of nine excellent walks in the La Olivia area. Walk 4 is the Calderon Hondo (the volcano walk commented on above). However, this guide suggests you start the walk from the football stadium in Lajares.

Please note that walk 3 at Tindaya is NOT available right now.

http://visitcorralejo.com/en/ then click on the link "In the footsteps of a legend". It's an excellent publication and FREE!!

I would reinforce the comments of others, good footwear is essential. Flip flops not suitable - and that's from bitter personal experience!!

Tom.