Movistar

Started by willie5094, August 22, 2018, 21:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willie5094

Does anyone know how to get Movistar bog standard internet without having to take spanish TV and spanish sim cards, there is a site called Movistar with benefits, at 35â,¬ a month, any help please..

Deso

Have a look here   https://www.movistar.es/particulares/internet/adsl-fibra-optica/?pid=PA-home-ql1a

If you are on Chrome you can right click on the page and translate it.  Click on price for canaries as it is slightly cheaper due to the cheaper VAT.  Works out at â,¬27.49 a month for 12 month contract.

You won't get fibre yet so max speed is 20mb, depending how far you are from the exchange.
Regards, Neil
Looking forward to the day I tick the "One way only" box when booking flights to Fuerte. [:)]

willie5094

Cheers Deso you're a star....

willie5094

Had a wee look at price Deso and its circa 32â,¬...

Johnrgby2

Quote from: Deso on August 22, 2018, 21:19:51 PM
Have a look here   https://www.movistar.es/particulares/internet/adsl-fibra-optica/?pid=PA-home-ql1a

If you are on Chrome you can right click on the page and translate it.  Click on price for canaries as it is slightly cheaper due to the cheaper VAT.  Works out at â,¬27.49 a month for 12 month contract.

You won't get fibre yet so max speed is 20mb, depending how far you are from the exchange.

I would be careful with the speed they quote you, we are apparently 500 metres from the exchange and can see the mast, but the best we got was 3/4 Mbps, and after 17:00 and at weekends we were lucky to get 2Mbps, we are now on 4G pricier, but it works.

Deso

Quote from: willie5094 on August 24, 2018, 11:45:30 AM

Did you click on the blue link in the price box,  Precios para Canarias, Cueta y Melilla

The price shown on the web page is for mainland where the tax is higher.

Am I right in thinking you are up the hill somewhere? If so, you need to find a neighbour, see Johns post above, who is/was on movistar to see what speed they get.

We are only 150 metres from the exchange and get 17meg all the time. once the fibre is installed speeds will be much more reliable but it could be a while yet.
Regards, Neil
Looking forward to the day I tick the "One way only" box when booking flights to Fuerte. [:)]

Johnrgby2

Quote from: Deso on August 24, 2018, 13:51:40 PM
Quote from: willie5094 on August 24, 2018, 11:45:30 AM

Did you click on the blue link in the price box,  Precios para Canarias, Cueta y Melilla

The price shown on the web page is for mainland where the tax is higher.

Am I right in thinking you are up the hill somewhere? If so, you need to find a neighbour, see Johns post above, who is/was on movistar to see what speed they get.

We are only 150 metres from the exchange and get 17meg all the time. once the fibre is installed speeds will be much more reliable but it could be a while yet.

Movistar told a mate of mine this time next year, { that is Spanish this time next year }

fourthwisemonkey

Once fibre is rolled out you will get a lot more. Corralejo (Parque Natural) has FTTH and I have 2 clients who have 260Meg and 180Meg+. Also router is dual band 2.4Ghz/5GHz so you can get max throughput on wifi connections.
I am still waiting on Tamaragua.....spoke to fibre installer couple of weeks back and told next year....think the new autovia is in the bloody way!!

willie5094

Hi Deso can you send me the link to get Movistar in the Canaries, cheers. When I click on the green box "Lo Quiero" I get mainland spain when I fill the form in.

It isn't possible to click on the price page for the Canaries, Cueta and Melilla.

Deso

It is the Blue writing at the bottom left of the section with the green Lo Quiero unless it's being blocked by your settings?
Regards, Neil

willie5094

Clicked on blue writing but all it gives me is the pricing page for Canaries.

willie5094

I must be really thick. Ok clicked on Lo Quiero I want it and it takes me to a personal information page which I fill in with all details including N.I.E number and Spanish mobile number and click continue when it asks for region there is everything apart from Fuerteventura. There Las Palmas, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Mellila and Cueto, is Fuerteventura known by any other name, I've been trying this for days and its driving me mental, I need help.....

Johnrgby2

Quote from: willie5094 on August 25, 2018, 16:38:05 PM
I must be really thick. Ok clicked on Lo Quiero I want it and it takes me to a personal information page which I fill in with all details including N.I.E number and Spanish mobile number and click continue when it asks for region there is everything apart from Fuerteventura. There Las Palmas, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Mellila and Cueto, is Fuerteventura known by any other name, I've been trying this for days and its driving me mental, I need help.....

Try Las Palmas Willie

willie5094

Will do John, thanks...

willie5094

Didn't work John, back in UK they're flinging Wifi at you and I can't get anywhere here, what am I doing wrong.

spitfire58

You sound like you are having a real struggle willie5090. Quite often Fuerteventura doesn`t come up individually so the “area” to use is Las Palmas. Hope you get it sorted out before you have no hair left, lol. Cheers . . Ron

Johnrgby2

Quote from: willie5094 on August 25, 2018, 19:53:50 PM
Didn't work John, back in the UK they're flinging Wifi at you and I can't get anywhere here, what am I doing wrong.

It should have Willie, it is definitely the right area.

willie5094

I know what your saying guys but it ain't recognising the postcode 35610, I'll try again tomorrow when I get my hair stuck back on, cheers.

Johnrgby2

Quote from: willie5094 on August 25, 2018, 21:38:35 PM
I know what your saying guys but it ain't recognising the postcode 35610, I'll try again tomorrow when I get my hair stuck back on, cheers.

I have just tried it myself, Willie. and as you say it does not work.

willie5094

Cheers John I'm glad it's not just me, I thought I was going mad. I'll pop up to Rosario tomorrow and see if they can help. No doubt they'll try and sell me the full package....

Deso

I was going to say, when I had my Movistar connected, I went to the Movistar shop, there was one in the Atlantico at that time. Ordered Monday and they came and connected up on Thursday.

Have you definitley got a phone line in your place?  We have a DP box in the garage area and there was a cable from that running up into a junction box in the apartment. The guy had to run a cable from there to the pre-installed phone socket, there was tubing already in.
Regards, Neil

Johnrgby2

Quote from: willie5094 on August 26, 2018, 19:38:45 PM
Cheers John I'm glad it's not just me, I thought I was going mad. I'll pop up to Rosario tomorrow and see if they can help. No doubt they'll try and sell me the full package....

Just be carefull.

spitfire58

Quote from: Johnrgby2 on August 26, 2018, 21:28:22 PM

Just be carefull.

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂 must be good salespeople then !!

Johnrgby2

Quote from: spitfire58 on August 26, 2018, 22:00:53 PM
Quote from: Johnrgby2 on August 26, 2018, 21:28:22 PM

Just be carefull.

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂 must be good salespeople then !!

They did not sell anything to me Ron there were too many "it  should "and "depending on" in the conversation so I walked away

beachlife

I set up my telephone and internet (with no TV package) but asked for mini fusion which gave me free mobile phone (500 mins of calls & 1GB of data /month) I upgraded paying 19 euros for a Samsung phone. Did this all in the Movistar shop in Corralejo with  no pressure to buy a package or anything. Might be worth a try there if you are struggling in the other Movistar shops.

willie5094

Went into Movistar shop in Las Rotondas and asked for internet only and she quoted 41â,¬ , and said it was more expensive in shop and better to order online but couldn't help me with doing it, so I'm none the wiser. For feck sake why are things so difficult....

beachlife

Quote from: willie5094 on August 27, 2018, 19:57:01 PM
Went into Movistar shop in Las Rotondas and asked for internet only and she quoted 41â,¬ , and said it was more expensive in shop and better to order online but couldn't help me with doing it, so I'm none the wiser. For feck sake why are things so difficult....

Welcome to Fuerteventura most things are like that here. It`s part of the charm of the place but can be infuriating as well. However, believe it or not its easier to get things done now than when I came in 2004. You often had to put your name on a list to order things and they worked down the list which could be pages long.

I have got to the stage where I just pay the going rate, as looking for a lower price can be rewarding but sometimes if its a necessity its not worth the hassle.

Johnrgby2

Originally I was with a company called Eurona based in Spain, who where fine for about 6 months, I had  a Movistar router, and a Movistar landline connected by a Movistar engineer, for some reason they transferred us to another company, the service was dire, to say the least, so I go into Movistar in an attempt to switch to them, and apparently I did not exist, neither the did the telephone number, so trying to use some logic I used my mobile dialed the number that did not exist, and amazingly my wife answered, but she still claimed we did not have a landline at which point I gave up, we now use a company called Tiekom, and are connected via 4G, it works very well 95% of the time, have unlimited calls to Spanish numbers,  and 300 mins per month to any international numbers, it is not cheap but as I have said it works.

Lexeus

See my info on internet in Fuerteventura:

Types of internet available in Fuerteventura

Vodafone 4G

My only experience of Movistar are the following 3 times.
1. My other half took out a movistar deal over the phone about 7years ago (TV, ADSL, landline) and when the first charge came out of the account they were just charging the full price and there was no special deal for 12 months like she had agreed to on the phone, they told her it would be rectified and fobbed her off for a month until then they just said it was too late to cancel and she ended up paying almost double what she had been promised until the contract expired.
2. I went into the movistar shop 3 years ago to enquire about taking out one of the deals advertised online, similar to what you mentioned I wasn't interested in TV. I was told everything I wanted to hear, including things that I knew were not true, so I just left it assuming they were fishing for commision regardless of how happy I was afterwards I am sure it would suddenly no be their problem!
3. About 3months ago my brother-in-law signed up to the full package, landline, ADSL, TV and 2 mobiles SIM-only. They signed up over the phone and were very happy with the price. I asked what he was going to do when the price went up after the initial offer period, he had no idea it was going to go up, they hadn't mentioned it to him. I am monitoring for future complaints... I didn't want to push it too much because our opinion of Movistar is not great and they had already gone into the contract by then so there was little they could do. They get ADSL speeds of about 3Mbps (we are down South of the island,no fibre here), I think the TV pacakge is pretty nice, all works from a tiny little box like the NowTV box in the UK, but it looks good.

My advice on getting internet here is best summed up on two things:
1. Ask all the neigbours what they have because it's the only way to find out what the speed/service is like in the street
2. I like not having a cable or antenna and I can just pickup my 4g router and move house without dealing with any telefonica appointments etc.... :) there is a little extra piece of mind in that for me

Lexeus

Quote from: Johnrgby2 on August 28, 2018, 14:20:59 PM

Originally I was with a company called Eurona based in Spain, who where fine for about 6 months, I had  a Movistar router, and a Movistar landline connected by a Movistar engineer, for some reason they transferred us to another company, the service was dire, to say the least, so I go into Movistar in an attempt to switch to them, and apparently I did not exist, neither the did the telephone number, so trying to use some logic I used my mobile dialed the number that did not exist, and amazingly my wife answered, but she still claimed we did not have a landline at which point I gave up, we now use a company called Tiekom, and are connected via 4G, it works very well 95% of the time, have unlimited calls to Spanish numbers,  and 300 mins per month to any international numbers, it is not cheap but as I have said it works.

It is important to note that Movistar is the retail arm of Telefonica. I am pretty sure I am correct in saying that if you buy from Movistar you get a Movistar branded box and a Telefonica Line and a Telefonica engineer installs it.
The equivalent situation in the UK is that you may buy BT Internet, but you get a BT Openreach Box and a BT Openreach engineer installs it.

It's all complication because they were all just  100% publicly owned originally....

I would suggest that maybe you had a Telefonica line that was contracted through this 3rd party "Eurona" so you never had a Movistar line (although it is confusing to see Movistar branded on Telefonica boxes) and perhaps just like me you had a landline number that started with a 9 but in actual fact it was just a virtual phone number that was provided by Eurona and redirected to you, but certainly wouldn't have made it a Movistar managed number. They use redirection so that they don't have to pay Telefonica to manage the voice line, they just have to pay the line rental for physical cable connection.