Goldcar V Autoplus

Started by cllrcollins, December 16, 2014, 21:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cllrcollins

Friends of mine going over in January and want to hire car. The best quote they have got is from Gold car but on previous threads there's advice to avoid them like the plague. I personally have used Autoplus and have had no problems. Any advice welcome.

bedouin

My advice would be to look very carefully at the small print!  PlusCar operate a simple "bring it back with roughly the same amount of fuel in it" policy, whereas Goldcar will charge you for a full tank of fuel at premium prices, plus a "service charge" of â,¬17 to â,¬54, depending on which car you book.  This service charge will wipe out any apparent price advantage.

Then there's the fact that PlusCar have a quick and painless collection system, whereas you have to queue for Goldcar (although you can get a "priority" collection by paying Goldcar an extra â,¬50!)

And if you want a second driver, it's free with PlusCar, but an extra â,¬35 a week with Goldcar.

Got kids?  Want child seats?  Free with PlusCar, â,¬42 a week each with Goldcar.

No comparison.

MLA

PlusCar have never let me down. Fully comp, return to airport carpark lot 531 leave the keys under the footwell mat with fuel at the same level as you found it. I have used them for the past few years. Prior to finding them I used AutoPlus/AutoReisen which are okay, the main problem is that you collect and drop off the keys from their office in the airports main concourse. As lots of other visitors use them you can be queuing for over an hour.

charlatanefc

Comparing Pluscar and Goldcar is like comparing Man u and Accrington Stanley  ;D

decho

Accrington Stanley??? Are Goldcar really that good? ;D
Another vote for Pluscar from me - great service and so convenient with no rip-off charges.
Also when I had a minor accident with their car, they were really great to deal with.

Archer

So it was you, Decho, that beat up the car I got  :D

Can the Man

Quote from: cllrcollins on December 16, 2014, 21:02:32 PM
Friends of mine going over in January and want to hire car. The best quote they have got is from Gold car but on previous threads there's advice to avoid them like the plague. I personally have used Autoplus and have had no problems. Any advice welcome.

Dave, who did your friends book with in the end, and how did they get on ?.

bevlos

Just done another two week hire with autoplus. As always no hassle and great service. Not new cars (you get what you pay for) but reliable and do the job. Would have no hesitation recommending them or using them again and again.

TamaraEnLaPlaya

I realise this is an 'old' topic but I wanted to post an up to date warning about Goldcar.

A Spanish friend of mine came over on a day visit today from Gran Canaria. She had booked a car with Goldcar, and paid for it in advance. She had to wait for transport to Goldcar's depot and they then wanted to take a 1,100â,¬ deposit on her credit card - all for 1 day's hire of their smallest car! This would take her over her limit on her credit card so she had to say she couldn't take the car. She didn't get a refund of the money already paid! She went back to the airport and booked another car with AutoReisen, having wasted over 1.5 hours and saying goodbye to the original fee paid to Goldcar. Be warned and steer well clear.

Can the Man

It is amazing the number of threads about how bad Gold car is and people still ask the same questions. When I am traveling somewhere other than Fuerteventura and need to hire a car I will always research forums about car hire companies.

I had a very bad experience with Gold car years ago and NEVER AGAIN, I think I still own shares in that car I paid so much to hire it I could of had a Merc from Pluscar for the same money as the Renault Kango with Goldcar

STAY AWAY FROM GOLDCAR

bedouin

Quote from: TamaraEnLaPlaya on September 30, 2016, 01:01:08 AM
She had to wait for transport to Goldcar's depot and they then wanted to take a 1,100â,¬ deposit on her credit card - all for 1 day's hire of their smallest car! This would take her over her limit on her credit card so she had to say she couldn't take the car. She didn't get a refund of the money already paid!

I can't believe that she wouldn't have been aware of the need to leave a deposit, it's clearly explained in the booking conditions. She could alternatively have purchased their extra insurance, which would have meant she wouldn't have needed to leave any deposit. Having said that, I wish all hire car operators were as honest and straightforward as Pluscar.

Archer

Pluscar website appears to have been down all day. Anyone know what's going on?

MandK

Quote from: Can the Man on September 30, 2016, 21:28:58 PM
It is amazing the number of threads about how bad Gold car is and people still ask the same questions. When I am traveling somewhere other than Fuerteventura and need to hire a car I will always research forums about car hire companies.

I had a very bad experience with Gold car years ago and NEVER AGAIN, I think I still own shares in that car I paid so much to hire it I could of had a Merc from Pluscar for the same money as the Renault Kango with Goldcar

STAY AWAY FROM GOLDCAR

I had stayed calm and asked for a complaints form or customer service number, the "lady" actually threw the card at me from about 6 feet away ...LOL

Deso

Quote from: archer101 on September 30, 2016, 22:29:51 PM
Pluscar website appears to have been down all day. Anyone know what's going on?

Back up now.   ;D
Regards, Neil
Looking forward to the day I tick the "One way only" box when booking flights to Fuerte. [:)]

col328

Plus car have up dated their fleet with Hyundai i20's, I received a brand new one, they are OK, saying that I would not buy one.

Can the Man

I had a Hyundai i40 for the last 4 years as a company car, very comfortable and very dependable. I changed this year to a Mazda CX-5, very impressed.
I have rented i20's and i30's in the past in Fuerteventura and also in the U.K., they have always been a good dependable hire car.