Snorkelling sites on the Island ?

Started by Tommo1, August 10, 2012, 14:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommo1

Hi,
Any recommendations for safe Snorkelling sites on the island ? preferably doable from Corralejo ?

Regards

Tommo

jg

The usual ones suggested are off Lobos (take the boat trip and ask advice) and the El Cotillo Lagoons (bus number 8 hourly http://www.fuerteventura.com/Bus/index.shtml)
JG

flump

Apparently the bays between main beach & Atlantico centre caletta de fuste are very good for snorkling

Charlie dont surf

Great snorkelling just outside El Cotillo and in the first lagoon to the right of the lighthouse. I've seen lots of good sized Octopus, cuttle fish, Barracuda, parrot fish and occasionally some rays of various sizes that bury themselves in the sand at low tide.

Magoo

Yes, as Charlie suggests, the lagoons at El Cotillo are spot on for spotting fish.  You need to be there around high tide and you will need waterproof foot ware as the rocks are quite sharp. Beware of currents as the tide goes out, as you can be pulled against the rocks. I was snorkelling there years ago when a couple of fast military jets came over very low. Scared the hell out of me as my head was under the water and I couldn`t see what was happening.  This was just after the Boxing Day tsunami, so I assumed the worse