Bar Cafeteria La Concha vs. Bar Torino: the battle of the Cotillo beach bars.

Started by SoCal, April 18, 2014, 17:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCal

Short story: La Concha chucked in the towel, and the best one survived. 

Up front full disclosure: several years ago, just before Torino's was forced to abandon their north side / La Concha location, I enjoyed many experiences there. Surprisingly, my positive experiences from before may have caused me to have a negative reaction to their current establishment given that a) they are on the south end, away from my apartment, and b) the first experience at Torino's really sucked. I ordered only a beer.

Location: La Concha is located directly across the street from Azzurro, on the north side of El Cotillo.  Torino's is located south of El Cotillo, on the dirt road toward the surfer's beach.

Atmosphere: both have a great deal going for them. The view from La Concha is excellent. Nice to see the waves, people on the sand and the sunset view is wonderful. However, the view from Torino's is breathtaking – a view of surfers working the waves and the ocean surf crashing along the coast for 30 km+. And if you prefer the mountains, only one man-made structure can be viewed for as far as the eye can see. It is possibly the single best view on the island.  Unfortunately, when the wind is significantly brisk, both places can be a poor choice for a meal with the southern position being the worst. When I first visited Torino's, the wind was howling, it was overcast and cold and my initial impression was that there was no reason to visit again this out of the way location.  Boy did that change once the winds subsided and the Sun appeared. 

Food: In an attempt to compare places equitably, tried to eat a couple identical orders. The real test was prawns in the garlic sauce.  No comparison. Yes the food at La Concha was acceptable and edible; however, the prawns tasted mushy. Were the prawns old? Were they over frozen? In addition, the prawns were more in butter, lacked the garlic needed to make it special and were served to me hot.  In comparison, the prawns at Torino's were bubbling in garlic and butter for a long period of time. There was more than enough garlic and it included some chili peppers which added complexity to the taste.  Both times I had them at Torino's, they were memorable. They are the reason I travel 27 hours to Fuerteventura. The fish (dorado) at Torino's was excellent – well grilled, nicely seasoned, very fresh and completely filling. It was a better than the two servings I had Vaca Azul, which still has promise, but not as good as my fish at Bahia in La Pared.  My serving of sardines was tasty and extremely filling. I could have stopped at 4 of the 5 fish. Prices are very fair to inexpensive.   If there is a complaint I have about the menu at Torino's, it is they need to expand the Spanish food options. (Sorry, I don't review "toasties". You if need a "toastie", do it yourself or go to the UK.)

Service: The service at La Concha was simply spectacular.  The place was jammed with clients and yet my multiple orders of beer and food were served promptly. They run a zillion tables simultaneously with many servers.  It was impressive.  I left a healthy tip. And La Concha was like a factory. If that works for you, visit this place now before they vacate at the end of April.  In comparison, Torino's is a few servers, but who make me feel special. Smiles, even handshakes, and thumbs up when I hold up my mug for another serving of beer. Normally, I have been served me very quickly.  My only complaint is that one time the single server was completely overwhelmed with clients, hence my meal took quite a while.  However, they recognized the issue, called for reinforcements and gave me free food to keep me happy.  They also tried undercharge me, but I fought them on this and paid the full amount. 

Added factor: The following comments are considered politically incorrect by US-based liberal natured people and are illegal in California. Regardless, here they are. The difference in clientele between the north side and the south side is striking.  The north side clientele are sedate, fat, loud, usually older and more likely to smoke to ruin the meals of others. (As my German friends say, the smoker Nazi strikes again.)   They are there to sleep on the beach.  In contrast, the clientele on the south are usually fit, often very fit, less likely to be loud and smoke.  Often the smokers move away from the bar to enjoy their drug. (Note: I'm a libertarian with regards to drugs. Pot, cocaine, opium should all be legal, but within the confines of your private space.)  If you like to see youth and people who care about their health, then hang out in the south beach bar.  This makes Torino's, at its current location, even more appealing.

Overall: La Concha is like visiting a beach bar version of MacDonald's. What they do, they do well, but it isn't  the experience I want. In contrast, with the view, the excellent food, the charming service and yes, the clientele, Torino's is better than I remembered when it  was on the north side of Cotillo.  For me, the visits to the bar have often been "sustained euphoria": watching the surfers, sipping my beer and eating amazingly hot and garlic flavored mussels. (I should tell the manager at Vaca Azul to go visit Torino's.) 

Now the complexity:  the rules on beach bars in Cotillo have changed. As a consequence, La Concha has bid very low to stay where they are and the south side bar is required to move off the cliffs and down the hill. Hence Torino's won the bid for the north side and in mid-May, Torino's will be returning to the north side.  For those of us on the north side of town, this is both positive and negative news.  Now one has to work up some energy to visit the beach bar in the South. But once mid-May comes, one will be able to stumble out of his or her apartment and down the beach for a hundred meters, throw a wrap around at the last moment, and start eating and drinking. I see myself gaining weight and no longer watching the surfers catch those waves. I guess that is the price I have to pay for tasty food.

I see myself biking back tonight for dinner at Torino's before the Sun sets.
Biking and beaches - total freedom

bedouin

What a fabulous report!  Looking forward to many more - how many restaurants and bars are there in Fuerteventura?  More importantly, how long are you staying?  I'm visiting in a month's time; do you have vacancies for guest reviewers?

SoCal

Follow up: Torino's is open until the Sun sets.

I did follow up with a visit back. The Sun was spectacular and I read and absorbed as many UV photons as possible until the clouds intervened. My meal was squid and octopus. It was very tasty, well grilled, but a bit tougher than I would like and as I remember. However, I see myself ordering it again. With a large beer, a glass of vino and a shot of Canaries own Hierbos (spelling?), which has become my favorite digestivo, the charge was ridiculously inexpensive at around 17 euros.

The air chilled, I tightened my wrap, and rode back. (Okay, with the wrap riding up on my waist and flapping in the breeze, I was doing a good job mimicking JG. But, who cares in FUE.) With the multi-hour bike ride before, it was the ending of a fine day.
-----

Now to answer your question. I am here until the end of June. Would be happy to meet fellow forum members. So far, the ones I have been willing to admit the wanted to meet me have been delightful. 

The reality is that there are many places though I do probably spend most of my time at only a few of them. In addition, my apartment complex has been overrun by families on holiday break. Hence it is more pleasant to spend my time elsewhere. Feel free to add as may contributions desired. One place on my list, La Marisa, JG and suerob have covered it well. Not sure what I will be able to add.

SoCal

SoCal

Bar La Concha appears to be still going, but Bar Torino is now closed. In a couple weeks Torino's will reappear at La Concha.

TamaraEnLaPlaya

Any idea what is happening to the bar (Torrinos?) at La Concha beach? Appeared deserted today, no furniture in sight anywhere, according to friends who passed there today.

Logitechtom

Bar Torino's is closed until the 20 June, for holidays (it says).  I thought it was an odd time of the year to close for two weeks when many other bars close in May, but there you go.

A lift birdie told me that following his illness, Torino is house hunting in the UK!

Tom