Namaste India

Started by SoCal, May 07, 2014, 15:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCal

Location: next to the most famous Indian restaurant, Jaipur, just down the street from the Barcelo Hotel.

Atmosphere: They have tables and chairs and they are on the street. The smell is intoxicating if you enjoy Indian spices.

Food: Strongly Indian. Two of the three starters I tried were very tasty, the prawns on a puri paddy and the ground lamb shish kabob.  I enjoyed most the puri dish with the rich tomato and spice based sauce. The third item, the fried mushroom based paddies was good, but was better when I added some of the sauces provided.  Normally I don't care for beer, but the Cobra beer was an fine combination with the dishes - cool, refreshing and not overpowering.  I had three of them. It took some negotiation to figure out how spicy I wanted it, but I rate the "medium to hot" as inducing a bit of a sweat which is comparable to what I experience back in Southern California.  Now you know why I had three beers.  :D

Service: Can't say much. For a Tuesday, initially I was their only client.  I enjoyed talking to the owner / chef who lived in Los Angeles 20 years ago.  They were very accommodating in working out the spice level, so I was happy.  Later, a Scottish group came in and for me, some of the accents were so thick that I could not understand what they were saying. The server appeared to have no difficulty.

Overall: I am fortunate enough to live in a community of recently immigrated Indians and can visit restaurants for which I am in the minority both in nationality and language.  I would not question the authenticity of the food served Namaste. There may be some Europeanizing of the dishes, but I could not tell.  I simply enjoyed the flavor.

In conclusion, a nice experience and a nice change from the Spanish, fish based menu one predominately experiences here. However, if were staying in Corralejo, I would simply order take-away.
Biking and beaches - total freedom