Author Topic: Casa Rustica - El Cotillo  (Read 20201 times)

Offline Stone Free

Re: Casa Rustica - El Cotillo
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2018, 20:27:53 pm »
Rustica has a new owner.  He's half Italian. Not sure what the other half is, I suspect Spanish. 

Natalie was doing the handover last week.

They are going to be open from 10:30am for breakfast and then lunch.

Offline Charlie dont surf

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2018, 22:01:56 pm »
Just what Cotillo needs...more Italians. Anyone for pizza?

Offline TripleH

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2018, 09:48:58 am »
Walked past last night and had a quick look at the menu. Surprised to see its exactly the same as before. Why wouldnt the new owners put their own stamp on it?

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2018, 12:38:18 pm »
Probably waiting to see how well it goes before they invest any dinero. If it's Italian then it's already as good as doomed as there's the Sottovento and another pizza place in the village.

Offline Logitechtom

• Birmingham/El Cotillo 50/50
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2018, 17:52:11 pm »
I'm not sure the new owners are Italian. I think they are Spanish. The lady is pregnant, so will not be in the restaurant for many more weeks. The man tends to keep out of sight, just occasionally serving food or drink. The kitchen staff remain unchanged.

I think the policy of sticking to the old menu is very wise. The new owners need to get a good feel of 'who eats what's before they change the offering. However, I noticed a laser printer set up on one table so I suspect the new menu (or the old menu with new prices) is not too far away!

I suspect they don't have very much experience at running a restaurant, so they are being sensible and seeing how things are run before they put a personal stamp on the place.

I've always enjoyed Casa Rustica, even if you did have to mind your p's and q's when Natalie was rushed off her feet, so I hope the new owners do well.

Tom.

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2018, 10:17:03 am »
I'm not sure the new owners are Italian. I think they are Spanish. The lady is pregnant, so will not be in the restaurant for many more weeks. The man tends to keep out of sight, just occasionally serving food or drink. The kitchen staff remain unchanged.

I think the policy of sticking to the old menu is very wise. The new owners need to get a good feel of 'who eats what's before they change the offering. However, I noticed a laser printer set up on one table so I suspect the new menu (or the old menu with new prices) is not too far away!

I suspect they don't have very much experience at running a restaurant, so they are being sensible and seeing how things are run before they put a personal stamp on the place.

I've always enjoyed Casa Rustica, even if you did have to mind your p's and q's when Natalie was rushed off her feet, so I hope the new owners do well.

Tom.

That's a strange set up with Gustavo still in the kitchen. Perhaps he's teaching the new owners how to cook! Nothing would surprise me in Cotillo these days.

That's right. Judging Natalie's mood was crucial but not difficult. If she wasn't smiling then tread carefully!

Offline Logitechtom

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2018, 13:55:11 pm »
It's not Gustavo in the kitchen, it's the female cook (sorry, name unknown) who was second chef to Gustavo for many years, but took over the kitchen for the last year or so.  Gustavo took a break from the kitchen and was doing table service. Perhaps that was all part of the plan in order to sell the place.

Tom.

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2018, 13:44:12 pm »
Ah ok, that makes sense then and as you say, all part of the plan. Couldn't have been so easy to find a buyer for that place.

Offline Logitechtom

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2018, 23:17:02 pm »
Andreas and Kiran are the new owners. Arora is the daughter. Kiran is due to deliver the second child within the next few days!!!  Andreas is now taking a much more active role in the restaurant. Menu and prices are currently unchanged but I suspect that will not be for long.

Enjoyable meal (steaks cooked to perfection), good surroundings and good service.

Miss Natalie and Gustavo, but will still frequent this restaurant.

Tom.

Offline concerned cat

• Age & treachery will always overcome youth & skill
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2018, 06:32:52 am »
Four of us ate there last evening. Menu unchanged. Starters were served promptly with a 10 minute wait for the main course which was just about right. Busy when we got there around 19.45 & we were the last to leave. The food was as good as ever. The steaks were cooked to perfection. Very attentive serving staff. The only minor criticism is that the portion sizes have shrunk slightly. We'll be back there before we return home.

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2018, 20:16:22 pm »
Thanks for the informative review. Sounds like it's still the place to get the best steak in Cotillo. Was it fillet steak (Solomillo) and what was the sauce like? Gustavo used to do a pretty good green pepper sauce.

Offline concerned cat

• Age & treachery will always overcome youth & skill
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2018, 07:24:41 am »
It was fillet steak. Not sure about green pepper sauce as we didn't have it. Talking of steak though, we ate at El Rogue de Pescadores (sp) last evening. Mow that steak was utterly fantastic. It melted in my mouth. Delicious.

Offline mikal

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2018, 13:57:24 pm »
reviews on tripadvisor are a bit ………..oh dear!! We had a nice meal there last November!