Author Topic: Ryanair flight left early!  (Read 4824 times)

Offline Archer

Ryanair flight left early!
« on: June 14, 2014, 08:40:36 am »
Ryanair usually get the flack, but on the Bournemouth flight this week the door was closed, ready to push back at 18.55 - 25mins before schedule. Back home in record time.
Be warned all those with hand baggage who leave it to the last minute!

Offline zedzedeleven

Re: Ryanair flight left early!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 08:56:11 am »
A timely reminder that you should be at the gate well before take off time.

Offline bedouin

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 08:56:39 am »
Interesting.  The boarding pass usually says gate closes 20 mins before scheduled take-off.  So leaving 25 mins early could have stranded people.

Offline zedzedeleven

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 10:49:17 am »
Yes, it does say that, it also says be at the airport two hours before take off time. I have seen some very heated exchanges between irate passengers and gate/check in staff on the "Airline" telly program. The passengers have been late, just a few minutes in one case but it didn`t matter, they didn`t get on. It`s unfair sometimes, with the best laid plans going horribly wrong. Just yesterday there was a crash on Speke Boulevard that stopped the traffic to Liverpool airport, wonder how many people had to sweat it out and possibly missed their flight.

Offline decho

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 11:56:24 am »
Our flight back from Fuerteventura to Edinburgh regularly leave early. If everyone is on board or the gate deadline is passed then why not? I've found that your virtually shaking the hand of the last passenger down the steps!
It's just being efficient - if your late, your late and that's not the airlines fault.

Offline isleswing

• Everything in it's place. str cpl 4 str cpl nsm
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 12:58:55 pm »
I really can't imagine any airline leaving without giving their full load to check-in on time. However, if everyone's there, why not get going?
Ground controllers will let them have an earlier slot, if they have one, so as to keep some free space for later, if it's needed.
They can arrive earlier, giving themselves more turnaround time at the other end. That, of course, assumes they can get an early landing slot.

Most importantly, more time in the air means the pilot can use a lighter right foot and save a fair bit of fuel. This benefits us all!

btw Checking in close to the last minute dramatically reduces shopping time airside.
This may, or may not, be a good thing.

Offline bedouin

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 14:42:56 pm »
btw Checking in close to the last minute dramatically reduces shopping time airside.

I believe the OP was thinking about people with hand luggage only - no check-in needed.

Offline isleswing

• Everything in it's place. str cpl 4 str cpl nsm
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 15:39:00 pm »

I believe the OP was thinking about people with hand luggage only - no check-in needed.

Yes, I see your point.
I've never properly understood online check-in. The full load was checked-in before leaving home.

I suppose there must be an official closing time for the gate. You're checked against at the gate, and ticked off the list, so, I suppose that if everyone's ticked off the list, they can go, otherwise they hold the gate till the last name shows, or the clock stops. WE HOPE.
You'd have a very strong case against the airline if they did close the gate early, though that doesn't get you home on time!

Offline sorepaws

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 11:49:16 am »
The only way to delay a flight leaving early would be if you had checked in luggage and were not on the plane, they would need to de-plane the baggage before they could take off.

If you arrived 21 minutes before the flight was due to take off ( documents stating gate closes 20 minutes before departure) and they refused to let you board or the plane had left the gate you would have a case against the airline for breach of contract.

I suspect that the only way they could leave early is if all checked in passengers were on board, this maybe a reason why Ryanair have now gone for all confirmed seating, they have better control over late arrivals.

Although one reason I was given for designated seating was to ensure they could balance the plane, not sure I believe this as they never bothered when seating was a free for all.

Offline bedouin

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 11:54:33 am »
Although one reason I was given for designated seating was to ensure they could balance the plane, not sure I believe this as they never bothered when seating was a free for all.

Actually, they did.  When they had less than a full load of passengers, they'd usually cordon off several rows of seats at the very front and very back of the plane.  This is standard practice and is, I believe, a Boeing stipulation.

Offline sorepaws

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 12:06:45 pm »
I realised they did this - but an interesting observation now is that with designated seating in a low loaded plane people could still select those seats at the front or the back of the plane when checking in online. Still doesn't stop all the larger people sitting on one side of the plane and making it fly in circles :-D

Offline bedouin

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 12:15:26 pm »
I realised they did this

Sorry, I was confused by your claim that they never bothered to balance the plane before.

Offline annalivia

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 20:42:31 pm »
Those with hand luggage have their tickets scanned at security so are checked in then. Once they know all the passangers are airside they then can leave early. We boarded a half hour early last trip.

Offline bedouin

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 21:00:11 pm »
Those with hand luggage have their tickets scanned at security so are checked in then. Once they know all the passangers are airside they then can leave early. We boarded a half hour early last trip.

So the airside passengers stocking up on duty free goods get left behind?