Author Topic: What's the Weather Like? - August 2015  (Read 20262 times)

Offline gattaca66

Re: What's the Weather Like? - Aug 2015
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2015, 13:37:48 pm »
Caleta - jealously noting the good old thunderstorms elsewhere. We had a brief heavy downpour last night for about three minutes, around 10.00pm. Enough to deposit a layer of dust over the cars, but we could have done with more. A few spots this morning, but all the storm activity we have seen over the past 24 hours or so has been in the distance to the north and west. Currently hazy, looks like light cloud rather than dust, but enough sun to cast a clear shadow, and getting progressively brighter. Wind has been very light all day. A shower is forecast for later this evening, but I'm not so sure. After that, the next few days are set to be pretty good. Current temperature is 30.0 en punto!

Offline MLA

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2015, 07:35:18 am »
El Cotillo... Slightly overcast with lots of blue sky and a moderate breeze at the moment. Sea being blown about creating surf small to medium waves. Again mixed views on today's weather, some forecasters say cloudy, others sunny. If this was a normal summers day, I would say, an overcast start with cloud burning off later in the morning, leaving a warm sunny afternoon. Current temp on terrace 23c. expect high 20's. later.
--------------------
Starting last autumn the weather seems to have become totally unpredictable. We have been visiting for at least 17 years and always found the summers to be sunny, not just warm and in winter, you would always get a few good days in a week’s break. Also calima conditions seem more prevalent recently. Or is it just me?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 08:06:25 am by MLA »

Offline Deso

• Roll on one way flight to the rock. :)
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2015, 09:37:53 am »
Lashing it down in Manchester, has been for the last few hours. Think yourself lucky.   :D

Offline pegtee

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2015, 19:31:09 pm »
Still lashing down and temperature on my car 20 mins ago 12c. between Huddersfield and Saddleworth.  Has not stopped all day and I should know I have been working outside for most of it. Now have central heating on getting warm and drying clothes out. As Deso says you really should be so lucky.

Offline gattaca66

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2015, 20:00:29 pm »
Thanks on behalf of all of us Fuerteventura residents for the last two posts by Deso and pegtee....reminders of what a joy and a privilege it is to live on the island and enjoy fab weather pretty much every day (and no traffic either, but I'll not mention that, as this is a weather thread!) 😄

Offline MLA

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2015, 08:14:23 am »
El Cotillo... Point taken!

Clear sky, calm sea, gentle breeze. Outlook, a warm and sunny day, temp high 20's. 

Offline TamaraEnLaPlaya

• I wish!
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2015, 00:39:45 am »
Corralejo (Friday & Saturday). Just shows the difference on the opposite coast: although sunny we had very rough seas (red flags all along the Grandes Playas) and very strong offshore winds. Nice and hot though.
As a result of the recent drowning (I'm guessing this is the reason) the Grandes Playas beaches have been patrolled by the Socoristas much more thoroughly. They have marked off several different sections of the sea (approx. 100m each) in front of the hotels and these are constantly monitored by at least 1 Socorista each who have been restricting people to just going in the edge of the surf, quite rightly as the seas have been fierce.
Forecast not looking so good, lots of cloud and some drizzle forecast over the next several days - we'll see!
I agree with MLA's comment that the weather has become less predictable and calimas more prevalent over the last year.

Offline MLA

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2015, 09:13:52 am »
El Cotillo... there are some large white/grey clouds building up, but still large areas of clear sky. Sea calm with small waves, gentle breeze. Outlook: cloud clearing late morning leaving a sunny afternoon. Temps mid 20's.   

Fiesta time in Cotillo, music till 5.00am this morning. 

Offline gattaca66

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2015, 15:47:17 pm »
Caleta - some light cloud around early this morning, but that pretty much all burned off by about 10.30. Wind is NW and quite strong as times, but out of the wind it is hot, currently 28.5 at just gone 3.30pm. Skies have remained clear and blue, just a few wisps of cloud stretching down from the north but burning off before they affect us here. All in all, a rather nice day!

Offline TamaraEnLaPlaya

• I wish!
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2015, 00:55:14 am »
Corralejo (Sunday) - a lot of cloud on and off all day although nice and warm. Still a stiff breeze on the Grandes Playas varying between N & E but not as strong as yesterday. Still red flag sea conditions so no swimming, even paddling was hazardous!
Fiesta - ditto - at the Cannabis Club.

Offline MLA

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2015, 10:12:08 am »
El Cotillo... Mainly overcast with white/grey cloud and patches of blue sky. Sea calm, gentle breeze. Temp on terrace 24c. Outlook, mainly a cloudy day with a chance of light showers at lunch, possibly some sunshine late afternoon.

Sunshine over Cotillo most cloud has burnt off. 11.30am
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 11:30:34 am by MLA »

Offline MLA

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2015, 08:06:38 am »
El Cotillo... Overcast with areas of blue sky, calm sea, gentle breeze. 22c on terrace. Hopefully the cloud will burn of as it did yesterday.

Offline gattaca66

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2015, 15:42:17 pm »
Caleta - pretty overcast early on with quite heavy cloud, and light fine drizzle for ten minutes or do. Cleared completely by midday -ish, since when weve had blue skies, gentle breeze and hot sun...currently 28.7 degrees at 3.30 pm.

Offline MLA

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2015, 20:28:33 pm »
El Cotillo... It's been a cracking day here after a sluggish start. We thought it would be overcast, so would be good to cycle to the lighthouse. At 11.00am we reached our favourite beach and the cloud had burnt off, but still enough breeze not to feel too overheated. As the cloud had gone we decided it was going to be a beach day. We got on the beach by 12.00 noon, very warm with little breeze, sea felt warm after the initial shock. When out of the breeze and in the sun it felt too hot to be comfortable. Sun setting now after a great afternoon.

Offline MLA

« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2015, 08:16:53 am »
El Cotillo... Sun shining over the mountains but grey cloud building up over the sea to the north. Sea looks calm with a gentle breeze. Outlook for a mix of sun and cloud clearing in the afternoon leaving sunshine. Hopefully sun will just burn the cloud off early this morning.

08.52am Grey cloud building up can only see blue sky in the distance towards Tindaya.

09.24am Cloud clearing again sun coming through.

10.36am Cloud almost all burnt off clear blue skies

« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 10:36:29 am by MLA »

Offline Mr Boo Boo

• Everything is impossible until it is done
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2015, 10:16:25 am »
Lashing it down in Manchester, has been for the last few hours. Think yourself lucky.   :D

Glorius sunshine here in Manchester this morning  8), rain forecast this afternoon though  >:(

Offline TamaraEnLaPlaya

• I wish!
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2015, 01:15:26 am »
Corralejo (Weds) - one of the best days so far this summer! A bit of cloud at times but it gave some welcome relief from the blazing sun. A gentle breeze kept it very pleasant on the beach at Grandes Playas this afternoon. Sea conditions much more subdued than of late, a mix of yellow and red flags along the beach - swimming in the 'yellow' areas was an absolute joy today! To be honest I think the flag colours were over cautious still in the areas closer to the hotels - the 'yellows' would normally have been coded as 'greens'.
A lot of cloud forecast for Thursday afternoon so probably will give the beach a miss although the thought of cooling off in the sea again is very tempting!

Offline MLA

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2015, 10:00:22 am »
El Cotillo... A grey overcast start at first light, that soon cleared as the sun came up. Lots of blue sky but still some white clouds. Sea calm, and a gentle breeze. Temp 23c on the terrace. Cloudy warm (high 20's) forecasted for this afternoon.

Offline woe10

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2015, 16:21:54 pm »
Grey, no sun :(

Offline TamaraEnLaPlaya

• I wish!
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2015, 01:16:06 am »
Corralejo (Thurs) - cloud increased during the day until nearly 100% cover by mid-afternoon. Virtually no breeze on the beach until about 4pm so it still felt warm. A northerly breeze then strengthened and with the grey skies and dull sea I called it a day on the beach. The sea had been nice for swimming although a lot of weed has suddenly appeared.
The rescue helicopter made a flypast, making a very tight turn by the RIU La Oliva and disappearing to the south again - didn't appear to be making a search.
Evening stayed cloudy and there was a tiny shower around 7pm - blink and miss it! The wind has died down again.
Talking of showers, has anyone seen anything of the meteor/asteroid (not sure what is the correct term) shower that was meant to be visible mid-August? Every time I've looked out it's been cloudy.

Offline MLA

« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2015, 09:11:16 am »
El Cotillo... thin mottled cloud layer obscuring the sun, calm sea gentle breeze. It may burn off later leaving a sunny afternoon. The weather forecasters are of mixed opinion, some say cloudy, others clear. Temp 22c on terrace.

Yesterday's forecast was accurate with a sunny start ending in an overcast afternoon.

Re: Meteor shower, it was overcast at the time, but we got a fantastic lightening show instead.

http://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/meteor-shower/perseid.html

Offline TamaraEnLaPlaya

• I wish!
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2015, 23:56:46 pm »
Corralejo - extensive cloud cover today with very little breeze until mid afternoon, so still pretty hot. Went over to El Cotillo to the beach (main circular lagoon) mid afternoon and got in a great couple of hours until the clouds  moved in again and the breeze gained strength. Water was lovely although a lot of weed on the bottom. Back in Corralejo it was quite cool (for Fuerte in August!) early evening.

Offline MLA

« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2015, 09:16:41 am »
El Cotillo... Interestingly, Tamara went to Cotillo and we went to the dunes at Corralejo yesterday afternoon where there was hazy cloud and little wind, it felt stifling. Cotillo this morning, sun shining some thin wispy cloud. Calm sea gentle breeze. 22c in the shade.

Clouded over later in the morning so cycled to Lajares for breakfast, side wind with us all the way there. Lajares full of holiday makers, with live music in the square. The return to Cotillo was fast as slightly downhill and the wind seemed to shift and push us along. The afternoon was warm and clear. Music from the fiesta played till gone 5.00 this morning.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 06:45:42 am by MLA »

Offline TamaraEnLaPlaya

• I wish!
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2015, 01:17:21 am »
Corralejo (Sat). Extensive cloud most of the day & strong breeze, pleasantly warm. Didn't bother with the beach today as I could see from my garden that it was a red flag in the area we like to go to, so no swimming and would probably get sand blasted!
Strong north easterlies forecast all day Sunday with a lot less cloud. Windbreak day at the beach if I go.

Offline MLA

« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2015, 09:50:44 am »
El Cotillo... Patchy cloud blocking the sun, some blue sky, gentle wind with occasional gusts. Sea looks a bit choppy. 23c on terrace. Outlook, sun should burn cloud off later leaving a sunny afternoon with highs of 27c.

2.25pm windy (cooling), sunny, hot afternoon.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 14:26:42 pm by MLA »

Offline TamaraEnLaPlaya

• I wish!
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2015, 00:54:03 am »
Corralejo (Sunday) - typical Fuerte day: bright sunshine, a few clouds, strong NE wind.

Offline MLA

« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2015, 11:49:52 am »
El Cotillo... Flew back to the UK last night, will resume live weather observations on my return. 

Offline TamaraEnLaPlaya

• I wish!
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2015, 01:06:25 am »
Corralejo - Monday. Lots of cloud today, clearing late afternoon. Quite breezy. At times it felt quite chilly! Lovely and warm once the sun broke through. Red flag at Grandes Playas beach (seen from afar - didn't bother going down!).
Forecast for Tuesday - perfect!

Offline TamaraEnLaPlaya

• I wish!
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2015, 00:37:12 am »
When are you due back MLA?
Corralejo (Tues) - unlike the forecast the morning started pretty cloudy although very hot (over 40C in sun in garden) with a gentle breeze. Cloud mainly cleared by lunchtime at which point we headed to the beach at Cotillo as Grandes Playas flying red flag again. Baked in the sun at Cotillo for several hours  - couple of cool offs in the circular lagoon but they weren't much pleasure as the weed has broken down/up? and it looked like murky soup. Sky was clear of cloud on the west coast but could see a line of cloud over to the east - our return to Corralejo at teatime confirmed the normal band of cloud running down from Lanzarote. Often the Grandes Playas are cloudy and Corralejo itself clear sunshine as was the case this afternoon. Still 25C outside now at 12.35am

Offline TamaraEnLaPlaya

• I wish!
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2015, 02:12:47 am »
Corralejo (Weds) - a cloudy start but hot. (The temp had not dropped below 25C all night) Cloud cover broke around midday and a gentle breeze arrived which made things more pleasant although still very hot. Red flag conditions still at Grandes Playas but even just splashing around in knee deep water was a welcome relief from the temp on the sand: 35-40C all afternoon with only a slight breeze at times. Still 25C and no wind at the moment (2am) so looks like another hot night.