Author Topic: What's the Weather Like? - September 2015  (Read 11672 times)

Offline MLA

What's the Weather Like? - September 2015
« on: September 01, 2015, 07:17:56 am »
El Cotillo... A forecast from the UK. Looking at the various weather sites and live weather cams over the island, it looks like your in for a cracking day of clear skies and sunshine, a calm sea with little swell and gentle breeze. Temperatures expected to reach 27c. in places, feeling very warm if in the sun and out of the breeze. Outlook, sunny and warm for the next few days.

13.15pm

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 10:53:17 am by MLA »

Offline gattaca66

Re: What's the Weather Like? - Sep 2015
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 14:57:23 pm »
Caleta - just to kick the month off from here too. It's been a beautiful day here from first light, a few wisps of cloud visible but nothing to get in the way of the uninterrupted sunshine! Wind is North-easterly and moderate, and the current temperature in the shade (at 2.45 pm) is 29.6 degrees. It has also been very clear over the past few days, no haze at all. We drove up to Correlejo yesterday, and Montana roja was sharply visible all the way from Caleta. Slightly overcast in Correlejo, light cloud stretching down from a cloudy-looking Lanzarote, and a few degrees cooler. Forecast looks nice all over the island for the next few days, certainly beats the weather reports from our family back in the UK!

Offline TamaraEnLaPlaya

• I wish!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 01:20:53 am »
Corralejo (Tues). Nice bright start with little or no breeze and just a few wispy clouds. Reached 40C in the sun in the garden by 10.30am but eased back to a steady 35C. Grandes Playas; yellow flags near the hotels and then reds from halfway down the main beach, reflected the strength of the waves but no rips evident today. A very gentle onshore breeze (Easterly) which died away completely from time to time. Temps on beach over 40C all afternoon. As often seems to be the case the breeze turned to northerly around 5pm, just after the tide turned, and started to strengthen easing off again late evening. No breeze now and 26C outside at 1.15am.

Offline MLA

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 08:41:01 am »
El Cotillo... Outlook, bright and sunny most of the day, calm sea with gentle breeze. Temps 27c+

7.30am

8.30am

Offline TamaraEnLaPlaya

• I wish!
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 01:17:52 am »
Corralejo (Weds) - very similar to yesterday although breeze was a little stronger on the beach and mainly N to NE. Temps a few degrees lower. The band of cloud that came down from Lanzarote managed to stay inland slightly leaving the beach in sun most of the time.

Offline TamaraEnLaPlaya

• I wish!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 00:20:52 am »
Corralejo (Fri) - much the same again, weather seems to have settled into it's normal pattern here. Bright & breezy, intermittent cloud. Red flags all along Grandes Playas today, even at low tide there was a strong pull and the soccoristas were busy keeping people from going more than knee depth. There was one specially patrolled 'yellow' area near the hotels where people could go in deeper but lots of extra red flags down at the water's edge on either side. Temps slightly lower today (30C - 35C) and down to 24C now (midnight) so more comfortable for sleeping.
Forecast very good for Saturday, slightly less breezy and clear of cloud in the afternoon.

Offline MLA

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 09:46:48 am »
El Cotillo... A joint report. From the UK the weather sites say that it should be wall to wall sunshine today for Cotillo. The live cam image says different. Although saying that, it looks like the sun is coming up over the mountains. My friend, who is staying in Cotillo, has told me that over the last few days the temperature has been 30c+ early afternoon and climbing to 35c by 4.00pm in the shade on his terrace. Hopefully the cloud should burn off late morning.

9.30am

10.26am Temp 26c on terrace
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 10:25:15 am by MLA »

Offline TripleH

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 15:11:13 pm »
Great to read these reports. What are the sea temperatures like? Cheers

Offline gattaca66

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 16:23:06 pm »
Caleta today....is perfect! I could leave it at that, but a bit more might help! We've had clear skies from dawn, not a whisp of cloud, and around 08.00 we had virtually no wind. Out on my bike to the south of Caleta, and the trip back northwards was much easier than usual. It's now just gone 4.00 pm and the wind has picked up a bit, still NE, still cloudless, and I'm recording 29.2 degrees in the shade. Bit warmer earlier, but forgot to check. Sea looked relatively calm this morning. Can't comment on temperatures, but there were a lot of people in the water early afternoon in the man-made lagoons. Forecast looks good for the foreseeable too!

Offline TamaraEnLaPlaya

• I wish!
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 00:13:10 am »
Corralejo today (Sat) perfect! Bright sunshine, light breeze, a few odd clouds. 40C+ in the sun in the garden by 10.30am. Grandes Playas all red flags today, lots of whistle blowing by the soccoristas. Very hot on the beach (forgot my thermometer) mitigated by the breeze which varied from NE to N to NW and back again. Sea very refreshing, not cold, although only splashed around in the shallows due to currents. Still 25C outside at midnight and sky very clear, lots of stars.
Forecast like Caleta - hooray!

Offline MLA

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 08:19:28 am »
El Cotillo... It looks like a sunny warm day ahead, with calm seas and a gentle breeze. Temps in the high 20's.

08.15am

Offline TamaraEnLaPlaya

• I wish!
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 00:57:30 am »
Corralejo (Sun) - perfecto! Very hot, clear skies, virtually no breeze. Grandes Playas - perfecto! Yellow flags which was a bit over cautious, more like green conditions. At times it would have been nice to have a bit of breeze or cloud cover for a some respite but I'm not complaining, I went in the sea instead. Reached 48C in the sun on the beach on and off all afternoon.
25C at the moment, 1am, with humidity over 90%.

Offline TamaraEnLaPlaya

• I wish!
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 00:45:14 am »
Corralejo (Mon) wall to wall cloud to start the day, started breaking up mid morning but a lot of cloud around on and off all day. More breeze than the last few days but still very warm and humid. Thunderstorm forecast for later this week which might clear the air a bit.
Didn't make the beach today but could see at least one yellow flag on Grandes Playas.
Temp outside now is 24C at 12.30am with no breeze and humidity at 70%, due to increase to 85% by 6am.

Offline TamaraEnLaPlaya

• I wish!
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 00:09:55 am »
Corralejo (Tues) - day started with wall to wall grey cloud again but it broke up quite quickly today and got pleasantly hot. A lot of cloud on and off all day some of which looked like it was about to dump a load of rain, but didn't. Grandes Playas - yellow flags near the hotels, red ones from halfway down the beach. Sea conditions in the 'yellow' area would have been better described as green again - small waves, no discernable currents during the afternoon. Very light breeze (onshore, E) mixed along with frequent patches of cloud kept the temp nicely hot on the beach without the 'scorch' of recent days!
Beach seems to have got quite busy again after the lull in the middle of last week, different demographic though: more mature people, less children.
Forecast for tomorrow looks much the same.
Interesting article in Diario de Avisios re wettest August in Canaries for a century:
http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.diariodeavisos.com/&prev=search
Pity we didn't get just a little of it! Sorry I can't get the link to go direct to the particular article - you need to scroll down and find it.

Offline TamaraEnLaPlaya

• I wish!
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 01:01:33 am »
Corralejo (Weds) yet again a cloudy start but it soon cleared leaving a bright and breezy day with occasional clouds. 40C+ in the garden by mid morning but as the breeze increased the temp was moderated.
Grandes Playas - gentle to moderate northerly breeze gave beautiful conditions - hot but not scorching. Yellow flags right by the hotels but the rest were reds. To be honest I thought the sea condition was 'green' halfway down the beach; small waves and no discernable current. There was very little soccorista patrol considering the red flags - supports my opinion that they are being over cautious with the flags.
Forecast for tomorrow gives 99% cloud all day! There will be no excuse not to get on with some housework/odd jobs  :(

Offline Archer

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2015, 21:13:20 pm »
Sun (13th) unusually clear blue sky over the mountains behind Butihondo/Costa Calma right over to La Pared all morning. Today (14th), a different story, cloudy all along the mountain line down to Jandia, and even a few drops of rain between Costa Calma and the Magic Life at about 19:00.

Offline TamaraEnLaPlaya

• I wish!
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2015, 00:50:37 am »
Corralejo (Mon) weather has followed much the same pattern over the last few days, hot, sunny, intermittent cloud, little breeze. Grandes Playas - green flags near the hotels, yellows further down, sea conditions great for swimming. All in all, so far, September is living up to it's reputation as one of the best months to be here!  8)

Offline MLA

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2015, 10:00:54 am »
El Cotillo...

10.00am

The outlook is for a warm day with a mix of sunshine, cloud and gentle breeze. Temp. mid 20's

11.58am

2.56pm
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 14:59:17 pm by MLA »

Offline TamaraEnLaPlaya

• I wish!
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2015, 00:53:30 am »
Corralejo (Tues) take out the buildings and these could be pictures of the sky over Corralejo and Grandes Playas. A lovely day with quite a bit of breeze. Temp on beach reached mid 40Cs. Various banks of cloud came and went and the wind varied from N to NW. Beautiful sky at sunset, crescent moon, deep turquoise sky, apricot shades along crest of crater - wish I'd had a camera to hand. Grandes Playas - green flags near hotels, yellows further down, water great for swimming, sea temp 23.9C yesterday & today - about as good as it gets!

http://www.seatemperature.org/europe/spain/corralejo.htm

Offline TamaraEnLaPlaya

• I wish!
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2015, 00:14:26 am »
Corralejo (Weds) much the same as Tues although the breeze had a little chill to it from time to time on the beach and the water felt cooler - winter on the way?  ;D
Forecast: continuing hot but the chance of some showers or a thunderstorm during the next week.

Offline Archer

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2015, 09:28:54 am »
Morro Jable: Totally grey and overcast first thing here. And feels cooler.  :(

Offline MLA

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2015, 10:16:26 am »
El Cotillo... Cloudy start which should burn off by lunch leaving a sunny afternoon. Calm sea, gentle breeze. Temp mid 20s

10.00am

13.34pm
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 13:43:24 pm by MLA »

Offline MLA

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2015, 08:43:18 am »
El Cotillo... Outlook, occasional light showers this morning, with cloud most of the day. Light breeze, calm sea, little swell. Temps mid to low 20's.

8.37am

Offline Archer

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2015, 09:13:08 am »
Heavy shower overnight in Morro Jable. Overcast at 9am.

Offline gattaca66

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2015, 16:09:28 pm »
Caleta- light shower here overnight, overcast for much of the day, occasional bursts of sun. Very light breeze and warm despite the cloud, currently 27.7 degrees in the shade.

Offline Deso

• Roll on one way flight to the rock. :)
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2015, 23:46:17 pm »
Is it still muggy?  Only a couple of days in the last week that it freshened up.

Offline TamaraEnLaPlaya

• I wish!
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2015, 00:04:47 am »
Corralejo (Fri & Sat) a lot of cloud cover with some nice bright intervals and very gentle breezes. A couple of light showers of the blink and miss variety! No beach visits for a couple of days so no report on sea conditions at Grandes Playas - hopefully get there on Sunday. Still nice and warm even with the amount of day time cloud but the air feels fresher. 24.5C outside currently - midnight.

Offline TamaraEnLaPlaya

• I wish!
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2015, 00:54:51 am »
Corralejo (Sun) - Perfecto!  8)

Offline TamaraEnLaPlaya

• I wish!
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2015, 00:35:24 am »
Corralejo (Mon) dismal  :(
The forecast was a possible thunderstorm mid morning and then clearing to a lovely afternoon. What we got was wall to wall grey cloud all day, some of it very low. A few rumbles in the afternoon and the onshore breeze turned cold around 4pm on the playa. Mainly yellow flags changing to red at the southern end of the beach. Quite warm until the breeze changed. The forecast for tomorrow doesn't look much better but perhaps it will be wrong again!

Offline TamaraEnLaPlaya

• I wish!
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2015, 00:42:54 am »
Corralejo (Tues) evidence this morning that there was a shower during the night and a further light one mid morning. Day mainly cloudy and muggy with a few brighter spells, brightening up considerably around teatime. Still very little breeze about. 25C outside at the moment (12.30am).