Author Topic: Spanish Advice please  (Read 1311 times)

Offline Kyle

  • Kyle
  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 58
Spanish Advice please
« on: May 29, 2017, 16:04:19 pm »
Good afternoon all,

My wife has a Spanish contract and as such we both qualify for healthcare.....we are registered at the health centre in Rosario. I know that qualification is contribution based ( we are both in our early 50's) however my question is this.

Does our qualification only exist if my wife continues to work with a spanish contract....shes had this for 2 years already, or having contributed to the system will be covered if she decides to leave her job?


Offline TamaraEnLaPlaya

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,078
  • I wish!
Re: Spanish Advice please
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 00:37:51 am »
From Janet Anscomb's site: (to me, the last sentence is the important one!)

How long am I covered with the spanish health system from leaving one job to finding another contracted employment?

Generally, cover continues for three months after you stop working, unless there is an existing condition for which you are receiving treatment, in which case cover increases to a year. Once cover has finished, you can still apply to be in the system as a person “sin recursos”, which would involve proving lack of resources to pay for private healthcare. You would also need to prove legal residence in Spain, and get a document from your home country confirming lack of entitlement to cover from that country in Spain. For absolute certainty with regard to your own particular circumstances, check either with your gestor, or local social security office.