Author Topic: Unlikely? I hope it won’t for everyone’s sake.  (Read 3800 times)

Offline dagwood

Unlikely? I hope it won’t for everyone’s sake.
« on: October 30, 2017, 20:48:06 pm »
Brexit is unlikely to ground flights between the UK and EU, the chief executive of IAG, which owns Aer Lingus and British Airways, has said.

Willie Walsh said that such a move would bring the entire continent to a standstill.

Mr Walsh told the UK's Commons Transport Committee: "The prospect of there being no flying between the UK and and Europe, I don't agree with at all. I think this would bring the whole of Europe to a standstill."

The comments came after Chancellor Philip Hammond had said it is "theoretically conceivable" that all flights between the EU and the UK could be suspended on the day Britain leaves the EU.

He added: "I don't think anybody seriously believes that that is where we will get to".

The IAG chief told MPs the airline industry would be able to cope with Brexit as it was used to dealing with new regulations and adapting quickly to changing situations.

Offline vivafuerte

Re: Unlikely? I hope it won’t for everyone’s sake.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 00:07:23 am »
more fake news

Offline spitfire58

• Fife, Scotland & Valles de Ortega, Fuerteventura
  • Just tell me how soon I can retire !!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 09:23:32 am »
Not exactly “fake news” as these views have all been expressed by the said people on worldwide media already but in real terms unlikely to happen. This would cause untold disruption & will not be allowed to happen.

It is a bit like the rest of the Brexit negotiations, there has been scaremongering for months but at the last minute they will suddenly fudge out a deal or a way around it. IMO

Offline dagwood

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 09:50:25 am »
more fake news

I'm beginning to think that Viva is correct in this case.
When I read the article at first I thought the Ministry of transport was happy to suggest a bit of possible bad news. He can then say " I told you so" if it happened and if not "I never said that" would be the response.
Now on reflection it believe they may be using Willie Walsh to do a whitewash job and spreading a bit of fake good news to keep the British especially the pro Brexit public happy.
A bit of "it'll be all right on the night we can sort this later" attitude, which unfortunately seems the way with a lot of the Brexit decision making.   
Viva did a good job reading between the lines.
Credit where credit is due. All fake news
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 09:58:36 am by dagwood »

Offline spitfire58

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 10:02:03 am »
more fake news

When I read the article at first I thought the Ministry of transport was happy to suggest a bit of possible bad news. He can then say " I told you so" if it happened and if not "I never said that" would be the response.
Now on reflection it believe they may be using Willie Walsh to do a whitewash job and spreading a bit of fake good news to keep the British especially the pro Brexit public happy.
A bit of "it'll be all right on the night we can sort this later" attitude, which unfortunately seems the way with a lot of the Brexit decision making.   

Basically you are saying the same as me then !!

Offline dagwood

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 10:32:57 am »
more fake news

Basically you are saying the same as me then !!
Yes but you didn't give any credit to viva. :D 

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 11:20:57 am »
I often wonder what the limit is going to be to the level of scaremongering put out regarding brexit. It was sky high on all counts after the referendum and was without exception shot to pieces and proved totally wrong.

Now the negotiations are hotting up the same names and their establishment cronies are again trying to put the fear of God into the public, again with no factual foundations....just someones ( generally biased) opinion.

I see the arch dung stirrers Ken Clarke, and Nick Clegg along with a few others are in 'secret' talks with EU brexit negotiator Barnier. What the hell have those two old has been's got to say that could possibly interest him. They have no authority and above all no mandate from the electorate to say anything. Couple of failed washed out old politicians trying to make themselves look as if they actually have a smidgen of relevance or importance. Which they most definitely don't. Its embarassing for the UK to see these two old duffers kissing EU backsides and making fools of themselves while we are trying to get a positive deal on brexit.

Offline spitfire58

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 11:27:41 am »
I often wonder what the limit is going to be to the level of scaremongering put out regarding brexit. It was sky high on all counts after the referendum and was without exception shot to pieces and proved totally wrong.

Now the negotiations are hotting up the same names and their establishment cronies are again trying to put the fear of God into the public, again with no factual foundations....just someones ( generally biased) opinion.

I see the arch dung stirrers Ken Clarke, and Nick Clegg along with a few others are in 'secret' talks with EU brexit negotiator Barnier. What the hell have those two old has been's got to say that could possibly interest him. They have no authority and above all no mandate from the electorate to say anything. Couple of failed washed out old politicians trying to make themselves look as if they actually have a smidgen of relevance or importance. Which they most definitely don't. Its embarassing for the UK to see these two old duffers kissing EU backsides and making fools of themselves while we are trying to get a positive deal on brexit.

🤣😂🤣😂 I can see your point Imo but I would hardly call Nick Clegg an “old duffer”, lol. To me he is a relative youngster, if irrelevant to today’s politics 😀😀

Offline Johnrgby2

• Don't confuse my attitude with my personality.
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 11:30:43 am »

Ron He was irrelevant when he was Deputy PM.

🤣😂🤣😂 I can see your point Imo but I would hardly call Nick Clegg an “old duffer”, lol. To me he is a relative youngster, if irrelevant to today’s politics 😀😀

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 11:51:32 am »
Ok point taken...but he is an old duffer in political terms. Old as he has been around a long while and deffo a duffer. He is a true career politician. Will change his tune to suit the mood, has no real policies worth mentioning and is only talking up the EU with an eye to the possible future jostling at the gravy train trough. a real back stabbing little oik.

Offline spitfire58

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 11:58:37 am »
Ok point taken...but he is an old duffer in political terms. Old as he has been around a long while and deffo a duffer. He is a true career politician. Will change his tune to suit the mood, has no real policies worth mentioning and is only talking up the EU with an eye to the possible future jostling at the gravy train trough. a real back stabbing little oik.

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂 You are spot on there !!

Offline dagwood

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 12:17:11 pm »
Its embarassing for the UK to see these two old duffers kissing EU backsides and making fools of themselves while we are trying to get a positive deal on brexit.
Forgive me but I thought you were already sure of a positive deal. So its not all cut and dry.

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2017, 12:24:38 pm »
I'd be more pleased if we walked away without one.

Offline vivafuerte

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2017, 12:29:05 pm »

me too, EU need us more than we need EU

Offline dagwood

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2017, 12:38:40 pm »
But then why would write that you are trying to get one.
Again as you will no doubt point out I am using your words.

Offline dagwood

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 12:42:02 pm »

me too, EU need us more than we need EU
You are obsessed with my posts. Don't say I didn't tell you so. How is the 9 to 5 war going.

Offline vivafuerte

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2017, 12:50:14 pm »

You are obsessed with my posts. Don't say I didn't tell you so. How is the 9 to 5 war going.
[/quote]

get over yourself you bore

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2017, 14:43:27 pm »
[/quote

I'm not trying to get one, the UK Government is though. Just as well for them I'm not negotiating as they wouldn't get a brass farthing.

I would obviously rather a good deal than a bad one, but I honestly think it's in the UK's best interests to just walk away. I would bet my last quid that they would be back sniffing round for some sort of trade deal payoff or not. If not too bad for them we will have no problems with managing the way we always used to. Self sufficiently.  8)

Offline dagwood

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2017, 15:00:26 pm »
[/quote

I'm not trying to get one, the UK Government is though. Just as well for them I'm not negotiating as they wouldn't get a brass farthing.

I would obviously rather a good deal than a bad one, but I honestly think it's in the UK's best interests to just walk away. I would bet my last quid that they would be back sniffing round for some sort of trade deal payoff or not. If not too bad for them we will have no problems with managing the way we always used to. Self sufficiently.  8)
It was the "We" bit that had me confused. That self sufficient part sounds like that old TV show The Good Life.
How do the exports and import figures stack up ?

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2017, 15:37:37 pm »
Good from some economists, not too good from others. Depends whether they are remain or leave in their outlook.
I prefer the glass half full attitude. Fortunately so does the UK negotiating team.

If other countries have no problem getting trade deals without being a member of a multi country organization , I have absolutely no doubts we can too.

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2017, 15:49:05 pm »
Any more questions on the leave stance of brexit try Nigel Farage's LBC talk show. He will tell you LOL

Offline dagwood

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2017, 15:56:35 pm »
Good from some economists, not too good from others. Depends whether they are remain or leave in their outlook.
I prefer the glass half full attitude. Fortunately so does the UK negotiating team.

If other countries have no problem getting trade deals without being a member of a multi country organization , I have absolutely no doubts we can too.
The number of almost new car being imported into Ireland from the UK because of the weak Pound has increased a lot and also because its illegal for the government to charge Vat once it has been already being paid in another EU country. This rule will come a cropper after the UK leaves . This may seem small but was always a good pointer as to how the weak Pound was helping UK exports. Now imports well that's another story. Goods can get expensive. 

Offline dagwood

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2017, 16:03:28 pm »
Any more questions on the leave stance of brexit try Nigel Farage's LBC talk show. He will tell you LOL
Good Man Nigel,
Back out of retirement. What What. Bulla Bulla. Painting omnibuses again Old Boy.
As Boris might say.
 :D

Offline vivafuerte

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2017, 23:56:41 pm »
Good Man Nigel,
Back out of retirement. What What. Bulla Bulla. Painting omnibuses again Old Boy.
As Boris might say.

uh oh, crazy unpopular local village idiot irish man trying to be a bit racist again ;)

no threat though, we would have him with well padded gloves, the shithouse.

he doesnt even realise we know where he lives, he's that dumb, exactly that dumb.

Offline dagwood

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2017, 08:17:46 am »
Good Man Nigel,
As Boris might say.

uh oh, crazy unpopular local village idiot irish man trying to be a bit racist again ;)

no threat though, we would have him with well padded gloves, the shithouse.

he doesnt even realise we know where he lives, he's that dumb, exactly that dumb.
Do you even know where you live Viva? How is your head?

Offline Will196

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2017, 09:11:09 am »
[ This may seem small but was always a good pointer as to how the weak Pound was helping UK exports. Now imports well that's another story. Goods can get expensive.

You're sort of missing the point. The more expensive imports are is a positive for UK companies. If you're an UK farmer competing with French product the fact French goods are going up in price is a positive. It doesn't matter if UK companies sell more abroad or more at home.

It's the reason the Germans are in the Euro. If they left their local currency would soar. Making it harder to export but easier to import. They'd get hit both ways.

What matters is net exports. The difference between what you export and what you import. If you import less that's a good thing.

Offline dagwood

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2017, 09:36:53 am »
[ This may seem small but was always a good pointer as to how the weak Pound was helping UK exports. Now imports well that's another story. Goods can get expensive.

You're sort of missing the point. The more expensive imports are is a positive for UK companies. If you're an UK farmer competing with French product the fact French goods are going up in price is a positive. It doesn't matter if UK companies sell more abroad or more at home.

It's the reason the Germans are in the Euro. If they left their local currency would soar. Making it harder to export but easier to import. They'd get hit both ways.

What matters is net exports. The difference between what you export and what you import. If you import less that's a good thing.
That's the point I'm making. Weak Stg, we in euro zone buy more UK goods and the UK export more. Fine for exporters but when it comes to imports (possibly by the manufacture of the said exports) into the UK they become more costly and the manufactures up sticks and go to a less costly environment. This problem can be airbrushed out with government aid but that will only last for a time. 
Ask Easyjet or Monarch for instance Re oil costs. Of course that's dollars but same result.  I think there has to be a happy medium.         
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 09:45:03 am by dagwood »

Offline vivafuerte

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2017, 09:44:47 am »

your obsessed with me arn't you, might have to get a restraining order cos being a bit too wierd.

Offline vivafuerte

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2017, 09:45:58 am »

that kind of common sense is wasted on the village idiot/local racist, dag

Offline dagwood

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2017, 09:48:03 am »

your obsessed with me arn't you, might have to get a restraining order cos being a bit too wierd.
Not in the least, I have no time for a big girls blouse.