Author Topic: Manchester Options  (Read 1857 times)

Offline Magoo

Manchester Options
« on: December 28, 2017, 14:26:44 pm »
We are looking for a well earned Fuerteventura visit in September.  We usually do Sleazy Jet out of Gatwick as their slot times are quite civilised & our nearest major airport MAN is a s.hole. However, this year I can’t be bother with hauling myself down there so it looks like Manchester. With the demise of Monarch, what other airlines fly out of there to FUE?  Failing that, has anyone ever done Robbin Hood? (Flying that is)

Offline paully

Re: Manchester Options
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 14:47:47 pm »
Ezy do Fue from Liverpool but its a night flight back :(..Nothing out of Donny but there is an expensive Tui to Lanzarote. Ryanair fly from both Liverpool, East Mids,Birmingham and Leeds while Jet2 run out of Leeds, Birmingham and East Mids. Also Tommy Cook to have a look at but is Manc as well as East Mids

if you want to go south have a look at Stansted, we did Jet2 from there this year and it was a good experience. Manchester is grim though ::)

Offline Magoo

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 16:13:07 pm »
Thanks Paully.  Looks like Yeadon (showing my age) or EM then.  Never done Jet2 before but people say they are ok.  Had a hairy landing once at Leeds, so I won’t remind Mrs Magoo about that.  We used MAN earlier in the year visiting friends in Spain, it’s more of a monument to inefficiency than an airport and is unworthy of anyone’s custom

Offline paully

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 17:09:53 pm »
Good description of the place there Magoo  ;D..but the trick with a lot of these places is finding a flight that goes after the first morning wave of flights. Stansted can be awful but we had a 2pm departure and next September we are using Manchester (long story) but again going out mid afternoon when things have calmed down oh yes and buying tickets for the exec lounge (well it is terminal3  ;D)

Jet2 are very good if a tad pricey these days and Yeadon is ok but like everywhere, busting at the seam early morning at busy summer times. Ok otherwise

Offline Magoo

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 17:27:32 pm »
My main gripe with MAN is arrivals. If you are on a late flight, there are next to no staff on to sort out the bedlam. Stanstead is a non starter for me as I would be on train, the thought of messing around at Peterborough does not fill me with enthusiasm.

Offline woe10

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 12:39:41 pm »
Magoo, why don't you use Google for flights like everybody else, instead of slagging off Manchester Airport.

All Airports are the same. Madrid is a nightmare with it's 2 mile long treks to the departure gates.

Offline paully

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 12:47:29 pm »
Woe

You have obviously never transited that dump, certainly not in the recent past, anyway. If you had, you would have, no doubt been the first to complain about it  >:(

And anyway, people asking for advice is what helps to keep this forum going and frankly is more interesting than recycling rubbish from the Maily Dail  ;)

Offline dagwood

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 13:57:52 pm »
Woe

You have obviously never transited that dump, certainly not in the recent past, anyway. If you had, you would have, no doubt been the first to complain about it  >:(

And anyway, people asking for advice is what helps to keep this forum going and frankly is more interesting than recycling rubbish from the Maily Dail  ;)

Now be careful  Paully I once asked if Woe could do something useful like doseing a goat 🐐 for worms. Then heaven and earth landed down on top of me. 

Offline Magoo

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 23:13:51 pm »
Woe. Yes I could have spent time trawling the internet matching airlines to airports, but surely if someone else has experience & is generous enough to share it, why reinvent the wheel? Nobody had their arm twisted.  As for all airports being the same, I can assure you that they are not. Some like Schiphol have their $h1t together & others like Manchester do not.  As this section of the forum is air travel related, I don't see any problem in debating such shortcomings. Thanks for the tip about Madrid, I will avoid it.
Once again, thanks for the info Paully, it was much appreciated.

Offline paully

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 23:17:16 pm »
Da Nada Magoo  ;D

Offline Magoo

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 23:23:20 pm »

Offline dagwood

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 23:59:00 pm »
http://www.airlinequality.com/airport-reviews/manchester-airport/

A bit of reading for you Paully

Manchester airport has all the ingredients of a tip.

Offline Magoo

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 00:26:49 am »
http://www.airlinequality.com/airport-reviews/manchester-airport/

A bit of reading for you Paully

Manchester airport has all the ingredients of a tip.

No, offence intended to managers of municipal waste disposal facilities, I’m sure

Offline dagwood

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 00:45:35 am »
Ha ha

Offline Deso

• Roll on one way flight to the rock. :)

Offline Snowdrop

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2018, 18:30:38 pm »
Ryan air fly from Manchester.  Never had a problem with them and would much prefer to use them than thomas cook any day

Offline dagwood

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2018, 19:15:09 pm »
Ryan air fly from Manchester.  Never had a problem with them and would much prefer to use them than thomas cook any day

Careful now Snowdrop that kind of statement could cause a riot on here. You know what  the superior gang are like. 😊😊😊

Offline vivafuerte

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 13:21:50 pm »

Offline dagwood

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 15:53:06 pm »
That's a very interesting link to Skytrax highlighted by Viva which gives a rating of Airlines by their passengers.
I took the time to check what was the average score given to the Airlines most used by the passengers on this part of the planet, please forgive me if I left out someone's favourite Airline;

Air Lingus                7/10   
British Airways         5/10
Easy Jet                   6/10
Fly B                        5/10
Jet 2                        7/10
Norwegian                6/10
Ryanair                    6/10
Virgin Atlantic           5/10
T Cook                     5/10
Thomson                  6/10
TUIfly                       4/10
TUI Airways              3/10

So things are not always what they seem and there's not much between any of them until you reach the last two .That said I used most of them and had no problems.   
Thanks again Viva for the link.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 15:54:52 pm by dagwood »

Offline vivafuerte

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2018, 16:41:20 pm »
boring albeit this time non racist, for a change, bile.

honestly couldnt care about you trying to talk the value of your shares, erm I mean (lol) air companies up! :D

Offline dagwood

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2018, 16:50:13 pm »
boring albeit this time non racist, for a change, bile.

honestly couldnt care about you trying to talk the value of your shares, erm I mean (lol) air companies up! :D

Incoherent gibberish!!! 

Offline bookman

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2018, 18:47:50 pm »
if you do not want to go as far as Gatwick. East Midlands is a decent airport. fairly small, off site parking less than 1/2 mile away, good selection of grub. A decent choice of airlines, Ryan air, Jet 2 , Thompson, Tui.  We use Jet 2- Tuesday & Saturday not had a problem for the last couple of years.