Author Topic: Spain's Concerns Over Brexit  (Read 15339 times)

Offline Stone Free

Spain's Concerns Over Brexit
« on: February 13, 2018, 18:34:07 pm »
There's an interesting article in El Pais in English about Spain's concerns over Brexit:

https://elpais.com/elpais/2018/01/12/inenglish/1515755694_911389.html

There's also an older article titled "Spain’s food industry under threat from Brexit"

https://elpais.com/elpais/2016/11/02/inenglish/1478076634_140712.html

Offline meggie

Re: Spain's Concerns Over Brexit
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 19:39:44 pm »
Perhaps we just need to hold our nerve in negotiations rather than buckling to their demands.

Offline vivafuerte

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 21:51:18 pm »
i think next time that french geezer tries to hold us over a barrel we point blank refuse any more negoations

make them beg us.

Offline spitfire58

• Fife, Scotland & Valles de Ortega, Fuerteventura
  • Just tell me how soon I can retire !!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 22:21:20 pm »
I think the EU have convinced themselves with their own spin that we need them more than they need us. Time to say enough is enough & just tough it out !!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 11:36:14 am by spitfire58 »

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 09:10:26 am »
May is a remainer at heart. Don't expect her to walk away from anything or hold anyone to ransom. We will more than likely get a deal of some description, but it will be on EU terms and I think most of those who voted to leave will find it a rather unsatisfactory outcome.

Hope I'm wrong but I have no faith in this Tory government to deliver brexit as most of us leavers envisaged it should be.

Offline MalT

• Bluebirds
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 11:39:02 am »
It’s slways been clear that the EU would make life tough in us leaving, pity it wasn’t properly discussed during the campaign but then again, so many risks on both sides were simply brushed away. Now we need to make the best of it and that will require compromise 😎

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 11:52:26 am »
The fact is we do have good bargaining powers but we do not have a government with the guts to use them. We were not to know that at the time as Cameron made it clear out meant out.

There is a big difference between compromise and 'caving in' to unwarranted demands..
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 16:31:48 pm by Ivemovedon »

Offline woe10

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 17:38:56 pm »
Well, Spain and the rest of them should band together and give that "Wannabee Dictator", Michel Barnier, a good talking to and tell him to back off, or else.

Offline La apanada pair

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 21:01:18 pm »
I was a leaver and I honestly think it was the correct choice, but after seeing the poor effort and caving in that seems to have happened, I would now , if given the option change my vote, not because of any other reason but the poor efforts of this government, as unlikely it is, my opinion is that all the main parties should of had a candidate in the negotiations, between them they should of pulled together for the good of the country and worked out a good deal , No one party should have the responsibility of arranging a deal that effects all the people and every governing party now and in the future, but that won't happen, we will get a mediocre deal at best and have to continue to suffer for a good few years after we exit, ... such a good opportunity to improve things gone down the pan WELL DONE

Offline vivafuerte

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 21:34:14 pm »
Michel Barnier

we should remind him of the term "occupied France" and that he would be speaking german now if it wasnt for us the ungrateful POS

Offline Ernie

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 21:56:01 pm »
have

Offline Johnrgby2

• Don't confuse my attitude with my personality.
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 08:13:14 am »
https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Finews.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fpolitics%2Fget-brexit-wrong-back-dark-times-50s-rationing-says-food-industry-boss%2F&h=ATPeXfEQbTaUSRzUNEEUKNT1Sbd2X7eQcrVW9QtTBBzwe6jQBGTyu1KZBIyrfW5Csw5twLZWMSXcMo_zsswrX8V2Kk0abCEHArdab-sMmUEyCPTU9KMvb-bPa-R09qmuUrwRCs09K5zVscHOOv9ghktGjMaZ2l1NyFfZRaq4W08hkDe4PGaUm115YAMRw-eINYj45Mnr6hoyIpMnzJdNyVSuJLZ3jX93GYsvPDTEgWz25cNfp-qJEhxS1QL5kSPqNOw

A message from someone at the coal face.

And he has forgotten that through the late 50,s all of the sixties and the early part of the 70,s Britain was doing very well on their own I started working the the food industry in the mid 60,s and there was never ever a problem, we traded with Australia, New Zealand, The rest of The Commonwealth The USA, Canada and various South and Central American countries, with out rationing, and it will work again, next time you are in Mercadona, have a look at a lot of their product comes from, especially meat and fish, you will, sea names like Chile Uruguay etc.

That photograph is laughable, meant to show how it was in the 50,s, with product priced in decimal currency, and labels carrying barcodes????

I do not know what self respecting Store Manager would allow a photograph like that to be taken, unless

,A. His boss took it just before he sacked him?

.B. It was staged?

I will let you decide ::)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 11:38:52 am by Johnrgby2 »

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 08:39:51 am »
If you are concerned at living in a country in which brexit may affect your conditions of living then say so. Most people would be understanding of your worries. But don't try trawling out internet nonsense trying to promote another project fear as we've been there seen it and done it. If it didn't work for Cameron and Osborn it won't work now for anyone else. We know the truth..

Offline vivafuerte

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 09:46:21 am »
thing is project fear works on the lefties, cos they are easily scared.

Offline erik_tonny

• It Ain't Necessarily So
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2018, 17:24:47 pm »
Michel Barnier

we should remind him of the term "occupied France" and that he would be speaking german now if it wasnt for us the ungrateful POS

How old are you?

Offline vivafuerte

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2018, 10:44:07 am »
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/brexit-costing-britain-200m-week-lost-growth-mark-carney-warns-1656619

and if true whos fualt is that ?

labour, blair and brown sold us tighter EU relationships but didnt tell us the full story when we voted, IE we have no democratic control over EU policy and thats why we left.

Offline Johnrgby2

• Don't confuse my attitude with my personality.
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2018, 13:48:46 pm »
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-43082963

You can spend as much time as you like Cherry picking Doom laden stories, and while I do not doubt that the facts they come out with are true, you have to see the bigger picture, { Sh+te I hate that phrase} There is and always was going to be uncertainty, both amongst business owners and customers which will make people apprehensive about investing in a business, or spending  if you are a customer, at the end of the day once a deal is done {and it will be } the situation will not be the same not worse not better but different, The UK will be free to trade where it wants govern it self and not support, countries that cannot/do not want to help themselves. or pay into the most corrupt but apparently legal  organisation the world has ever seen.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 08:27:03 am by Johnrgby2 »

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2018, 17:34:47 pm »
Notice the Modus Operandi of the poster. Scour the internet for anything which may devalue our negotiating chances and just dump it without comment to try and create a point of view without debate.

Its quite sad to see British people including many political and establishment figures trying so damned hard to squeeze out any negatives they can find in order to scupper our chances of making a clean and efficient break from the EU. It's truly hard to understand the motives behind people who would sooner see their country (even if they live elsewhere ) go down the toilet than be proved wrong. Maybe sad is not the word, bizarre or even sickening might be the word I'm looking for.

My God.. thank the Lord these obnoxious defeatists weren't around in 40 - 45. Either Winston, with great justification, would have had them rounded up and imprisoned as collaborators ,....or if he failed as someone so rightly said before, we would all now be under a Europe dominated by another unelected unanswerable elite a thousand times worse than the corrupt EU.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 17:37:13 pm by Ivemovedon »

Offline paully

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2018, 18:58:39 pm »
a more realistic view is advanced here by a columnist for a Gibraltar newspaper, who himself voted Remain but fully gets Brexit. His views are refreshing and interesting..

http://gibraltarpanorama.gi/15209/315697/a/brexit-is-no-walk-in-the-park-for-the-eu

Wonder what Ashworth & co will come back with  ::)

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2018, 10:27:58 am »
Just another component of the scaremongers arsenal, but in joke form. But then project fear has always been a joke.  :D

Offline paully

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2018, 11:34:08 am »
Just another component of the scaremongers arsenal, but in joke form. But then project fear has always been a joke.  :D

But then joke form is all some can actually manage. The ability to add to a proper debate is well beyond them.

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2018, 12:07:16 pm »
No doubt they will only be truly satisfied when the UK is bulldozed into a deal by Europe which exploits us economically and humiliates us Politically.  What a sorry shower of smug back stabbing nonentities.

Much as we might despise the EU for all it's arrogant failings, the rotten enemy that lies within us, who have done everything they possibly can to undermine their own country, deserve the greatest contempt. I hope they get their just desserts when all this is over.

Offline perrypower1

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2018, 13:16:44 pm »
Brexit is more like a sitcom than a joke and now firmly into season two with no signs of being pulled from the airwaves.  You really need to lighten up because if you have not figured it out yet, nobody is going to be happy with the outcome.

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2018, 13:36:59 pm »
Like I said, Brexit is what it is. We get what we get...I'm quite chilled about that believe me. I will be more than happy with any outcome if we are out rather than in. What I can't lighten up about is the sniping defeatists who have such a low opinion of their own country they are happy to carry on being led like donkey's by a bunch of corrupt crooks across the channel. Now there's a topic for a sitcom if you really want one.

Offline vivafuerte

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2018, 14:54:44 pm »
see its only the people who didnt get a vote who are still crying over brexit.

ireland does well out of the EU deal, without us paying for them to tag along they will have to pay more to be part of that club

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2018, 15:39:52 pm »
They are all going to have to dig a lot deeper in to their pockets VF..its the reason they are making such a big deal about us leaving. Money..or the lack of it always tends to focus minds more sharply. And boy will they be lacking it when we depart. ;)

Offline paully

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2018, 16:04:21 pm »

ireland does well out of the EU deal, without us paying for them to tag along they will have to pay more to be part of that club

Last year was the first time,since they joined, that Ireland had to contribute to the EU funds. From next year their `membership fees` will rise and the amount they get back will correspondingly decrease. Be interesting to see the level of support once that fact starts to bite. There are many there who haven`t forgotten they voted against the Lisbon Treaty and were hauled over the proverbial barrel until they did vote for it!!

Thats the attitude prevelent among the EU Elite and precisely why its taking so long to say Bye Bye.......

Offline ashworth

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2018, 16:05:09 pm »
Brexit is more like a sitcom than a joke and now firmly into season two with no signs of being pulled from the airwaves.  You really need to lighten up because if you have not figured it out yet, nobody is going to be happy with the outcome.

Spot on. It will all end in tears. Although fish might be plentiful and cheap.