Author Topic: How much does it cost to run a water pump?  (Read 752 times)

Offline MLA

How much does it cost to run a water pump?
« on: March 24, 2018, 10:59:22 am »
We live in Cotillo and have very little water pressure. I was wondering if anyone could advise us how much it would cost in electricity per year to run the pump? I am aware that it depends on how much water is used, so a rough idea would help. There are two of us in the apartment.

Thanks 

Offline spitfire58

• Fife, Scotland & Valles de Ortega, Fuerteventura
  • Just tell me how soon I can retire !!
Re: How much does it cost to run a water pump?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 11:05:25 am »
Hi MLA, not sure what you mean really. Do you have access to a private water supply or are you talking about putting a larger back up resevoir & running a pump from that ?

Offline Will196

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 11:58:13 am »
The pump should have something written on it. watts or at least amps and voltage. Watts equal amps times voltage.

1000 watts is one kW. One hour of running would be 1kwh.

If you know what you're paying per kw/h then you just need to guess how many hours a year it'll be running.

Offline MLA

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 12:02:44 pm »
Hi Spitfire58

Here are some pictures of what I mean

It looks like the pump uses 0.55kw when in use.

Thanks

Offline MLA

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 12:05:06 pm »
The pump should have something written on it. watts or at least amps and voltage. Watts equal amps times voltage.

1000 watts is one kW. One hour of running would be 1kwh.

If you know what you're paying per kw/h then you just need to guess how many hours a year it'll be running.

Thanks Will

I'll check it out.

Offline Charlie dont surf

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 12:43:47 pm »
The benefits of having a pump in Cotillo will definetey outweigh the cost. Water pressure in the village and supply will only get worse as demand increases. The smallest pump available should be sufficient and will be cheaper to run. Anything that pumps around 0.8-1 Bar will suffice.
Bear in mind it will be located on the roof next to the water tank and exposed to the elements and the frequent calimas dropping sh@tloads of sand. Also rain will rust the fan and lead to it seizing up. You should build a suitable housing around the pump to protect it otherwise you might find yourself having to replace it every year.

Offline spitfire58

• Fife, Scotland & Valles de Ortega, Fuerteventura
  • Just tell me how soon I can retire !!
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 14:09:45 pm »
Hi MLA, I see what you mean now. Basically a booster pump to increase water pressure from your tank. As Cds says, a small pump should be sufficient to supply your needs. If it is a small one say around 400watts (kind of like a power shower pump) I would guesstimate usage at about 10% of you day max which gives 2.4(hrs)x 0.4(watts) x 0.14(Leccy cost) so in the region of approx 1kwh per day or roughly 14c (depending on your electricity costs, ours is approx 14c per unit). Not v high really if it helps your pressure. I would agree though to building some sort of housing to protect it 🙂🙂 cheers . . Ron
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 03:11:16 am by spitfire58 »

Offline margerita

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 02:56:46 am »
Hi MLA
We had to get a small water pump at our place in Corralejo,a year ago because of poor water pressure.
It is on the roof and is boxed off for the reasons given on previous post.
We dont live out there, but go their on frequent holidays.Our water bill went up abit,nothing worth worrying about.We have great comfort since we got it done.Good luck with it

Offline MLA

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 07:59:04 am »
As there isn't a "thanks" button any more, thanks everyone for your posts.

Offline perrypower1

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 09:09:08 am »
Is your water tank big enough to cover the increase in water usage while the pump is on?

If the tank is too small, you could pull through water faster than the mains supply can replenish and the water level in the tank would drop.  If it drops below the level of off take you will get air in the system.  The pump will cavitate and your water taps will sputter. 

Offline MLA

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 10:56:19 am »
Is your water tank big enough to cover the increase in water usage while the pump is on?

Thanks for the advice. I think our tanks are 500L. I'll ask my neighbour who has the same tank and a pump if they have had any problems.

Offline Lexeus

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2018, 15:20:55 pm »

If the tank is too small, you could pull through water faster than the mains supply can replenish and the water level in the tank would drop.  If it drops below the level of off take you will get air in the system.  The pump will cavitate and your water taps will sputter.

The normal solution for the potential problem is to plug your pump into an electrical socket that is controlled by a float cut-off switch. If the tank drops to a certain level, the float drops there by cutting of the power to the pump until the water level has risen enough