Author Topic: Walk up the volcano at Corralejo  (Read 970 times)

Offline Steve54

Walk up the volcano at Corralejo
« on: May 08, 2018, 16:49:06 pm »
Hi there

Does anyone know if there is still an organised walk up the volcano in Corralejo.
A guy from DC, now the village, used to run one once a week I seem to remember
Due to a change in personal circumstances I now have the option to do the walk, if it is still happening
Any details, date and time etc, would be very useful. I am in Corralejo from May 20th to June 14th

Steve

Offline Snowdrop

Re: Walk up the volcano at Corralejo
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 22:28:42 pm »
Post on corralejo we love you page maybe.  is his name Gary Johnson sure I read that he still does them but don’t know what day nor time

Offline MalT

• Bluebirds
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 09:47:02 am »
Think Gary does it on Thursday now meet at alysosis. At 9.55, pay Gary bit of beer money, but be prepared for the world according to Gary, always interesting, a capitalist plot and intriguing, he’s a great guy

Offline el caballo hambriento

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 19:08:53 pm »
Is this the volcano which you access from Morro Francisco?

Offline simmey

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 09:13:13 am »
MaIt is right, Gary Johnston Smith takes the walk every Thursday at 9.55am from Alisos playa reception, he takes a donation for beer money and gets you back for 1pm ish, it’s a good track so you need to wear the right shoes. I did it in October last year, really enjoyed it.

Offline Roar of the Rovers

• domestic goddess is our Jon
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 14:39:17 pm »
Its easy to do yourself you can see the paths up eitherside just make your way there ,2 yrs ago last time i was up there i walked along the tops towards Tam dropped down and walked back through the valley towards the new road and into town.

Offline dee-dee

• See ya in Fuerte
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 07:03:47 am »
Was there 2 weeks ago,if you fancy going in a group meet Gary at the Alisios Playa reception at 9.55am on  Thursday  ;D

Offline Steve54

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 21:01:20 pm »
Did the walk on my own a week last Thursday, very enjoyable indeed once at the top where the views are outstanding !

The paths are all loose stone and very easy to lose your footing, sensible shoes are a must.

A good head for heights is also needed on the way up as it is very steep in places, its better not to look back !

That start is the most confusing part as you have to either go through the quarry, or go to the end of the road and then turn in

I did hear that the organized walk had issues on that particular Thursday, May 24th, and ended up in someones garden, how true that is I do not know.

Has anyone else heard of the problem with the walk that day ?

Offline Logitechtom

• Birmingham/El Cotillo 50/50
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 22:30:43 pm »
If you visit the website below, and then download the PDF leaflet, you will have a detailed description of nine excellent walks in the La Olivia area. Walk 4 is the Calderon Hondo (the volcano walk commented on above). However, this guide suggests you start the walk from the football stadium in Lajares.

Please note that walk 3 at Tindaya is NOT available right now.

http://visitcorralejo.com/en/ then click on the link "In the footsteps of a legend". It's an excellent publication and FREE!!

I would reinforce the comments of others, good footwear is essential. Flip flops not suitable - and that's from bitter personal experience!!

Tom.