Author Topic: Caleta = is it still full of chavs ?  (Read 5290 times)

Offline vivafuerte

Caleta = is it still full of chavs ?
« on: May 14, 2018, 09:09:27 am »
not been for ages, asking for a friend.

Offline Deso

• Roll on one way flight to the rock. :)
Re: Caleta = is it still full of chavs ?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 09:35:41 am »
Bit of light reading for you while you wait for any answers.....   :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13626046

Offline dagwood

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 10:35:38 am »

Offline paully

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 10:36:48 am »
Now this is going to ignite tempers for sure.....off to get the popcorn in 😂😂😙

Although, either way, it will end up the fault of Brexit😏

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 10:42:58 am »
I blame Ryanair for taking them there.  ;)

Offline dagwood

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 10:51:55 am »
I blame Ryanair for taking them there.  ;)

True but for every plane that arrives full it’s also full on the way out.
Jet2 and Eazyjet are more inclined to bring the boob tube brits over.
Anyway Viva won’t fly Ryanair so that’s one Chav less.

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 11:09:11 am »
Perhaps that's what the trumpet fanfare is really for...sucessful delivery of anther plane load of chavs. ;D

Offline dagwood

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 11:13:16 am »
Perhaps that's what the trumpet fanfare is really for...sucessful delivery of anther plane load of chavs. ;D
Possibly but I don’t think anybody would be encouraged to produce their horn when they see that lot.

Offline paully

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 11:29:08 am »
Boob tube Brits?????....I just know I'm going to regret asking but............do tell?

Offline dagwood

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 11:45:57 am »
Boob tube Brits?????....I just know I'm going to regret asking but............do tell?
We do have boob tube Irish also. You know the type. You’d run a mile if asked to rub the sun screen on. I notice in England you refer to them as chavs but in Ireland refair to them as HOWAYS which is their normal way of greeting someone.

Offline Ducks

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 11:55:40 am »
Been living here nearly two months now, and while there you do run into some chavs/howayiz, most people are just sort of normal.

Posh, working class, and everything in between, I'd say 90% of the people are just ordinary folks looking for a bit of sunshine and peace. I've come across very few loud and lairy people in the time I've been here— about four incidents I can recall, so one group every two weeks or so?

I don't really go to pubs in the evenings, though, so I might not be the best judge.

Offline dagwood

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 12:08:30 pm »
I agree Ducks most people are just having a break and luckily there are no or almost no Stag/hen parties.
You may find thing a bit livelier when the schools break for summer but you’d expect this as the place is family friendly. 

Offline Ducks

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 12:34:47 pm »
I agree Ducks most people are just having a break and luckily there are no or almost no Stag/hen parties.
You may find thing a bit livelier when the schools break for summer but you’d expect this as the place is family friendly. 

Saw a bit of that at Easter— a lot more kids around, and a lot more general bustle and noise, but nothing unpleasant. The incidents I've mentioned weren't very troubling, either, but include:

— An extremely loud group of English and Irish people having a singsong at a pub at about 8pm as I was passing
— Three English twits out on on their hotel balcony at 2am, blasting the road out of it with a stereo
— An Irish family of about six people having a ding-dong in a restaurant

Can't remember what the last one was!

The only actively unpleasant experience I've had since I've been here, so far, was last week we were talking out to Atlantico along the sea, and some local Youths were trying to race each other on one of those poxy scooters. They were doing ridiculous speeds —the maximum the thing could handle, I suspect— taking turns between racing solo and with racing with passenger. They passed us six or eight times as we walked from the Barcelo to the centre, but we never said a word to them and stepped out of their way so as to avoid injury.

Just as we were approaching the centre, they were coming back towards town, and the passenger leaned off the bike as we passed and hissed into my face like a cat!  :o It was designed to be intimidating and unpleasant, and it was. They had stopped racing by the time we were coming back and had set up camp with some mates just past the path where you turn up for the White Centre, so we did went up there before meeting them to avoid any further trouble, but that's the sort of thing that really bothers you about a place: when you have to change your behaviour because of trouble-making little [expletive deleted].

The thing is, you get oiks of all varieties, and in all places. Caleta is no different; I live in a nice area back home, and in two months of walking through the bar/restaurant parts on summer-weather evenings, I would definitely encounter a couple of noisy drunks, some bickering, and some misbehaving teenagers who could do with a lesson in manners. They're more similar than they are different, in my experience.

As for Stags and Hens— the island in general doesn't really cater to them currently, which is a blessing, as even the flight to CG became an issue of drunk-dodging eventually, no matter where you went after that.

Offline dagwood

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2018, 15:13:35 pm »
 An extremely loud group of English and Irish people having a singsong at a pub at about 8pm as I was passing
— Three English twits out on on their hotel balcony at 2am, blasting the road out of it with a stereo
— An Irish family of about six people having a ding-dong in a restaurant

The group singing were just having a bit of fun I would say but the other two incidences are not nice but could happen in any holiday resort.
The owners that use Air B & B to let their property's have something to answer for as they can get ASSSS holes who think they can do what they want, and most times the owners don't check anything except the money.
I wonder were the lads on the electric scooters tourists as the locals don't normally hire them because they are too expensive. The Guarda might have an interest in having a word in their ears.     

Offline spitfire58

• Fife, Scotland & Valles de Ortega, Fuerteventura
  • Just tell me how soon I can retire !!
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2018, 15:23:06 pm »
A good slap with a baseball bat on the way past would sort out the scooter louts but it wouldn’t be PC would it, even if satisfying!! 😁😁😁

Offline Ducks

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2018, 15:43:10 pm »
Group with the scooter are almost certainly local as they have a small puppy; we have seen them there more than once before. Apparently they sometimes put the poor dog on the scooter (admittedly at a slower speed) and think it's funny when he falls off!  :o Sickos. I wish someone would have a word with them.

We have had very little trouble with the AirBnB crowd so far, I think; hotels also don't care who they let in (as long as they don't cause trouble on their property) and have in fact no chance to refuse people, so I wouldn't say it makes any odds. Sometimes people are a bit too loud, but not desperately or boisterously so: just coming home late at night while drunk-talking loudly or kids running around being children. There are long-term owners or renters right beside us, and they are extremely loud— I actually just had to get up and shut the window because the mother has been shouting at their small child for the last ten minutes straight, but sometimes you get that at home these days, too. That's the unfortunate downside of living in a high-density residential area.

I personally would prefer to live miles away out in the middle of nowhere where it would be quiet, but then I would need a car and wouldn't have any services, so it's a matter of trying to decide what you can live with.

Offline dagwood

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2018, 15:46:32 pm »
A good slap with a baseball bat on the way past would sort out the scooter louts but it wouldn’t be PC would it, even if satisfying!! 😁😁😁

You would probably be in all sorts trouble for carrying a baseball bat.
I wonder if we could get a hurling completion started, You could inflict a lot of damage with a hurley stick. Its a great spectator sport also.   

Offline spitfire58

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2018, 15:59:30 pm »
We decided to do that Ducks, for that very reason. We have a place in Valles de Ortega. Small Spanish residential village, very few tourists around, dead quiet, just kids playing in the street etc. Only down side is you do have to watch your own noise levels if you have visitors in but we aren’t noisy anyway & we need a car. Would be good to be able to walk to places for a night out in Caleta but “swings & roundabouts” I would rather have the peace 😁😁

Offline Tamkid

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2018, 17:36:25 pm »
Sounds like a monastery compared to British Racecourses.  I still don't know what t Chav is????  ??? ??? ???

Offline vivafuerte

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2018, 18:45:18 pm »
irish caravan dwelling kids on scooters pretty much sums up caleta for me.

lobster red headed gut out and tatoos all over parents smirkin around

Offline spitfire58

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2018, 19:12:12 pm »
irish caravan dwelling kids on scooters pretty much sums up caleta for me.

lobster red headed gut out and tatoos all over parents smirkin around

Can’t honestly say I have ever seen Caleta in that light. Just has tourists the same as any other holiday location. In fact a lot less than parts of mainland Spain or even the other islands

Offline Can the Man

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2018, 22:43:18 pm »

Or a good Wrestling move - the Clothes Line, soon get rid of them

Offline Can the Man

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2018, 22:46:00 pm »
Group with the scooter are almost certainly local as they have a small puppy; we have seen them there more than once before. Apparently they sometimes put the poor dog on the scooter (admittedly at a slower speed) and think it's funny when he falls off!  :o Sickos. I wish someone would have a word with them.

We have had very little trouble with the AirBnB crowd so far, I think; hotels also don't care who they let in (as long as they don't cause trouble on their property) and have in fact no chance to refuse people, so I wouldn't say it makes any odds. Sometimes people are a bit too loud, but not desperately or boisterously so: just coming home late at night while drunk-talking loudly or kids running around being children. There are long-term owners or renters right beside us, and they are extremely loud— I actually just had to get up and shut the window because the mother has been shouting at their small child for the last ten minutes straight, but sometimes you get that at home these days, too. That's the unfortunate downside of living in a high-density residential area.

I personally would prefer to live miles away out in the middle of nowhere where it would be quiet, but then I would need a car and wouldn't have any services, so it's a matter of trying to decide what you can live with.

Not joking, but you should take up the bagpipes and see how your noisy neighbors enjoy your practicing  :P :P :P

Offline spitfire58

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2018, 22:46:44 pm »

Nice one Can 😂🤣😂🤣

Offline Can the Man

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2018, 22:50:51 pm »

Nice one Can 😂🤣😂🤣

Ron, Do you remember the movie Every Which but Loose with Clint Eastwood and Clive the Orangutan. Right Hand turn Clive and the hells angels fell over like skittles.😂😂😂

Offline spitfire58

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2018, 22:52:20 pm »
Don’t remember that one Can but I get the idea 😂🤣😂🤣

Offline ashworth

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2018, 11:18:02 am »
A much more diverse collection of visitors now in Caleta than 15 years ago. A lot of French, Italians and North Europeans. Plus the  Brits who come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. But as Ryanair can get you here for £40 who can blame them. Still not Benidorm. We also have a fantastic choice of quality resturants. Mustn't grumble.   
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 11:42:30 am by ashworth »

Offline vivafuerte

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2018, 11:33:10 am »
The thing is, you get oiks of all varieties, and in all places. Caleta is no different;

I hear this excuse all the time fom FV, now granted I live out the way in the hills (like I would in any country) and apart from the obviously drunk farmers driving their non MOT/Insurance/taxed cars exclusively only on the back lanes (to avoid the cops meandering across them) we dont have any bother or see any at all.

a shed in the village was broken in to about 4 years ago, turned out to be a relative of the house owner who lives about an hour away and only stole garden tools (to sell for drugs we expect) in contrast I hear of more theft or break ins per week in caleta or corelejo than I do in 4 years here.

as said I wouldnt live in a tourist area unless it was in the middle of a national park or something like that.

Offline erik_tonny

• It Ain't Necessarily So
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2018, 12:34:30 pm »
We also have a fantastic choice of quality resturants.
ahum

Offline woe10

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2018, 12:41:22 pm »
"Caleta = is it still full of chavs ?"

Short answer to you question - YES-