Author Topic: Rules on Retirement  (Read 784 times)

Offline Island Beach

Rules on Retirement
« on: May 29, 2018, 20:31:21 pm »
What are the rules for retirement in Fuerteventura? If I am from England, and my wife from outside of Europe?

I have already bought property. and hope to retire in 2 years time.  But my wife worries, being from Ukraine, which is outside of Europe?

Any advise please

Offline TamaraEnLaPlaya

• I wish!
Re: Rules on Retirement
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 01:17:10 am »
Hi Island Beach. As I see it you have several issues here:

1. Anything can change in 2 years, including Brexit, which might complicate your own application for residence.
2. On a forum such as this you are likely to receive wrong/incomplete/conflicting information from well meaning responders as well as good info - how will you know which is which?

My recommendation would be to employ a professional translator who deals with residency applications to ascertain what the situation would be if your wife were retiring here today, to give you an idea of what might be needed for her, including visas etc. Then nearer the time to give you the up to date requirements.

By then your own situation should have been revealed re Brexit! I think it would be money well spent. I can provide the contact details of several professional translators if you'd like to PM me, also a warning of one in particular to steer clear of!

Good luck, hope it all works out for you.

Offline Deso

• Roll on one way flight to the rock. :)
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 09:36:14 am »
Can you wife apply for British citizenship?
 If so, and successful, at least you would both come under the same rules, whatever they may be in the future.

Offline Can the Man

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 22:11:19 pm »
Can you wife apply for British citizenship?
 If so, and successful, at least you would both come under the same rules, whatever they may be in the future.

I was just thinking the same. It makes sense.

Offline hairybiker

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 19:30:09 pm »
As an aside, I was listening to a programme on Radio 4 today (WATO?) where they were discussing the applications for British Citizenship - £1300!!

And I notice that my EU passport says "British Citizen" which is an improvement on the "British Subject" which is stamped on my old blue passports.

Lowers head below parapet (I'm not going to mention the Anatidae this time!!

Offline woe10

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 16:39:27 pm »
I am retired here, I receive half pension from Spain and Half from the UK. You have to have paid at least 15 years Social Security for Spanish Pension.
Spanish Pension is Jubilacion. My advice is to go to the office of Social Security in Puerto Del Rosario (near the harbour) and ask to speak with Javier, he speaks perfect English (don't get talked into paying for a translator, you don't need one) Javier will explain everything perfectly for free.

Ukraine isn't in the EU so you may have a problem there. I receive a supplement for being in the EU, but if I move to a country out of the EU it's stopped.
Also, randomly, you are asked to appear at the offices to prove you still live here. Javier told me that some South Americans were claiming a pension here and moving back to Colombia or wherever, and still having it put in the bank, which is illegal.