Author Topic: Retiring and Rules  (Read 1056 times)

Offline Island Beach

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 149
  • Gender: Male
Retiring and Rules
« on: May 29, 2018, 20:39:18 pm »
What are the rules for retirement in Fuerteventura? If I am from England, and my wife from outside of Europe?

I have already bought property. and hope to retire in 2 years time.  But my wife worries, being from Ukraine, which is outside of Europe?

Offline Lexeus

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 301
Re: Retiring and Rules
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 18:59:47 pm »
The details are what matter, it's all paperwork and money as long as no-one has a criminal record.

How old are you?
How old is she?
Can she claim a pension? Will she be working?
Is the value of your Spanish house over €500,000?
Do you have an annual income from a business or otherwise?
Does she have alot of cash in the bank that you can show the Spanish authorities on a Bank statement?

It appears that the EU have agreements in place for Ukrainian nationals to get travel visas more easily, so that's positive, as Ukraine keep saying they want to join the EU.

The question is what basis there is for applying for residency beyond a 90day travel visa. The standard conditions are you need to be able to support your self and have medical care. So even a British citizen needs to have proof of medical cover and financial support, this can be a pension from the UK government, but all this can change when the BREXIT negotiations are finished.
For a UK retiree, I shamelessly copied from expatica:
Spain retirement visa
The current pension age in Spain is 65 years for both men and women. Should you be planning on taking your pension in Spain, you will need to set up a Spanish retirement visa. Spanish retirement visa requirements state that if you are an EU citizen you will need to possess an S1 form before travelling. This means you will have access to healthcare in Spain.

Even your standard working age British national that wants to stay in Spain longer than 90days needs a 1 year residency Visa and is required to meet one of 2 requirements:
1. Have a Bank balance over €6000 and a certificate of private medical insurance for Spain
2. Show a Spanish employment contract (i.e. monthly income and the business pays the tax to cover any medical bills)