Author Topic: So sad  (Read 552 times)

Offline Johnrgby2

• Don't confuse my attitude with my personality.
Re: So sad
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 12:00:40 pm »
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/nhs-worker-dies-alcohol-poisoning-12703616#ICID=Android_DailyRecordNewsApp_AppShare

Totally agree FF it is sad, but I find it difficult to believe the quantities she allegedly drank would have that effect on a mature woman, who " did not give signs of being overly drunk" nevertheless it is sad indeed.

Offline spitfire58

• Fife, Scotland & Valles de Ortega, Fuerteventura
  • Just tell me how soon I can retire !!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 12:25:15 pm »
Very sad. I would also find it strange though for the quantities her husband said she had. We quite often have a “blow out” the first day we arrive with probably a bit more than that. Not unusual I would say. She may have had another underlying health condition that was not highlighted

Offline Banjo

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 12:39:01 pm »
Dr Naveen Sharma a consultant histopathologist at Whiston hospital in Liverpool said the levels of alcohol in Mrs Bishop's system were "fatally toxic" and concluded her cause of death was heart failure due to "acute alcohol toxicity.'

What her husband says seems to contradict what the experts said but he's possibly trying to protect her as there will be less sympathy if it's decreed to be self-inflicted to any extent.  Either way, it's still very sad.

I've done some pretty silly all-dayers in my time with the lads, as I'm sure others on here have.  I reckon I've done my last one anyway but this kind of thing certainly makes me think twice about ever taking one on again.

Offline suendrob

• One Beautiful Island to Another
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 13:11:03 pm »
That first 'proper' drink after a 'dry' spell always hits harder, doesn't it? Not that hard, though. Eight times the Spanish limit is only about 4 times the more familiar UK limit, which is usually just a hangover, so there must be more to it.

What, however, is a typical Fuerteventura measure?
The only way I've seen it counted is to 'float the ice'. I'm guessing about 50-60ml, compared to 25ml in UK.
Gin is typically about 20% stronger, too  (47% against 40%). I don't know about other spirits.
That means one glass can be two and a half to three times the size of our single.
Easy mistake.

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 13:15:13 pm »
More to it than that. Has to be another medical condition involved, perhaps unknown.

If those alcohol levels are considered dangerous then I and most of the people I know should have met their maker decades ago..

Offline Banjo

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 13:29:42 pm »
Suendrob & Ivemovedon; you two will destroy the cantankerous and contrary reputation of this site with your sensible and considered posts. Can you put a stop to it right away please?