Author Topic: NIE Green Card  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Johnrgby2

• Don't confuse my attitude with my personality.
NIE Green Card
« on: June 18, 2018, 14:53:15 pm »
Hi, Guys management has lost her green card, I assume to get a copy we have to go to Puerto to The Policia National, anyone had any experience, as to how much hassle it is and do I need to take an interpreter?

Offline Lexeus

Re: NIE Green Card
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 15:59:02 pm »
Which document are you referring to exactly? Do you just need a certificate of NIE? i.e. the tax ID. Or are you referring to the residence permit?

Either way there is only the single office in Puerto to get anything as far as I am aware. It was surprisingly easy my last visit a couple of months ago, no waiting at all and if you get the bald guy he seems to like to excerise his english even if you speak Spanish and he's pretty good although I do understand his Spanish too... On the other hand, I saw another guy the same day (went to the bank to pay my dues) and he wasn't very chatty or helpful

Also, you are going to need one of these forms filled out and paid at the bank: https://sede.policia.gob.es/Tasa790_012/ImpresoRellenar
If you have a printer at home, fill it out, download the pdf file, and print it out and pay it at any bank. In one bank I think there were free copies but I print my own in advance now.

A NIE tax id certificate is: ".Asignación de Número de Identidad de Extranjero (NIE) a instancia del interesado." €9.54

A Residency certificate is: "Certificado de registro de residente comunitario o Tarjeta de residencia de familiar de un ciudadano de la Unión." €10.71

Edit: checked my favourites and I found this gem which gives you a few helpful tips on filling in the forms (You can't take it as 100% because it is for Barcelona so don't go making an appointment with them :) )
https://www.citylifebarcelona.com/how-to-obtain-a-nietie-in-barcelona/
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 16:21:09 pm by Lexeus »

Offline Johnrgby2

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 16:52:59 pm »
It is a green card about the size of a debit card, we/she has all the rest.

Offline Lexeus

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 10:18:14 am »
Hi John,

did you get this sorted?

The green card now costs €12 using the same form that I provided above!

Offline Johnrgby2

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 10:35:15 am »
Hi John,

did you get this sorted?

The green card now costs €12 using the same form that I provided above!

Hi Alex, funnily enough, it has just got to the top of my todo list, it just below make another  coffee ;)

Offline Lexeus

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 10:45:50 am »
Disrespecting the policia will not be tolerated!  ;)

In fact I was chatting to a friend from Puerto the other day who told me their neighbour was Guardia but had left the island because he was unhappy about the way he was treated. Apparently he got stopped for speeding, and when he flashed his badge, they wouldn't let him off the fine!  >:(

Offline calculator

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 10:58:23 am »
May not be obvious to everyone, but...........

The people you are dealing with at the police station are not police officers (Apart from anyone in police uniform)..

They are bog standard admin people with no connection with police. My OH could have worked there or for the GC, but it was the bottom of his list of choices. Horrible places to work as admin are looked down on by the policia.

The irony of the situation is that the recent recruitment drive for the forces consists mostly of "admin" people, people with university degrees and even doctorates, who like to spend their time sitting in offices!! Can't imagine them running around pointing guns at criminals.

Offline Lexeus

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 12:04:01 pm »
Hi John just going to repost here some of my PM's because it may help someone else some day, and you never know maybe someone else has done this before, it is after-all a card made of something akin to toilet paper ;):

The correct payment form is: "Tasa modelo 790 Código 012. Reconocimientos, Autorizaciones y Concursos"

The option for a a Residency certificate is: "Certificado de registro de residente comunitario o Tarjeta de residencia de familiar de un ciudadano de la Unión." €12

Under the section "DECLARANTE" at the bottom, I always put "Fuerteventura" and the date is when you plan on paying it (I don't know what happens if it has the wrong date, I always put the date for tomorrow and print it at home the night before)

This form can be paid in ANY bank, even if you don't have an account, although some restrict the hours when they take payments for these forms.

Cajasiete is just a 2 min walk from the Oficina de Estranjeros and alot of people pay it there, but they don't take payment after 11am
google link

It is important to differentiate between a NIE and a Residence Permit. Do not fall into the trap of believing that the Spanish people who work in all the government offices must know what they are talking about. The history as I understand it is that some time ago there was an actual photo ID given out to foreigners called a NIE and it effectively was a DNI for foreigners, but with application of EU law and cost cutting the system has changed and people who just say NIE are wrong.

The key is:
NIE is an ID used for tax purposes, it is issued to foreigners on request and will never change, but physically it is nothing beyond a A4 piece of standard white printer paper with a stamp to say it's a legitimate proof of the tax code for your passport. You may have a NIE even if you have never stepped foot in Spain.
Residence permit is a legal permit to reside in the country for more than 3 months. It does also state your NIE, because that is your unique ID number, but the point of the document is the proof of legal residence. Just as my health insurance documents state my Name, DateOfBirth and NIE, but that doesn't make them a NIE or a residence permit does it?! :)

My first NIE was only valid for 3 months, and then I had to go back and get another one the next time I needed to prove my NIE and the process was identical the 2nd time (including the costs).
When you have a Residence permit (Green card ;)) and you lose it, I imagine the process is just the same again and you pay the (now) €12 to have a new one issued, but it may be worth going to the office and discussing it before paying the €12.

The documents required for the application vary slightly according to your justifications, such as if you are legally retired and have a pension, but for me copies of the following:

Passport
Bank statement showing €6000 in an account in your name
White paper NIE certificate (not sure this is required but they filed it)
Tasa modelo 790 Código 012. Reconocimientos, Autorizaciones y Concursos (Paid €12 stamped/codified at bank)
Proof of health cover in Spain (i.e. letter from Private health insurance company)

_____________________________ _____________________________ _____________________________ _____________________________ ________________

I can't be 100% certain about the exact process for reissuing a lost residence certificate (green card) because I have never needed to do it, only something similar for a new NIE certificate; but I will explain my reasoning. I think the form is correct, because the ""Tasa modelo 790 Código 012" form is just to calculate the correct cost and to show evidence of having paid said cost. It is not an application form or anything like that, the actual application form to fill in will be provided when you go to the office, and even then it was explained to me by the helpful officer that half the information on their own form is irrelevant now and they just haven't changed the form since forever because it's all done on the computer now so they just enter the bits they need to know onto the computer.

I didn't give you a link to the application form because I know that they are happy to give you a copy to fill in, and they will know the correct form, but I imagine it is either the EX-18 (link) or EX-19 (link) and both of the forms are covered by the same €12 charge on the ""Tasa modelo 790 Código 012" of "Certificado de registro de residente comunitario o Tarjeta de residencia de familiar de un ciudadano de la Unión."

The EX-18 is the form that I filled in for my card, but that form is titled as the form for being entered in the database and doesn't have any option for reissuing a card that I can see, although it does have an option for change of address etc. Where as the EX-19 form does have an option for "RENOVACIÓN DE TARJETA" for both a temporary or permanent resident.

An important question may be, how many years has it been since you had the residence certificates (green card) issued ? If it has been over 5 years then the simplest thing to do may be to just put in an application for a permanent residence card (which you are supposed to do after 5years).

The issue to be aware of is they normally just issue the residence card and it automatically prints that days date on it, and you don't really want a new residence card with a new date on it unless it says permanent residence. If your friend in the pub has some experience with doing this, he may be on to something when saying it isn't that easy, but I am not so sure he does know what he is talking about if he is saying the Modelo 790 Codigo 012 form is incorrect, as that form is just a payment form, nothing more ;).

I wouldn't be surprised if they tell you they need to ask Madrid to issue a copy, and it takes 3 months. Either way I imagine the document evidence required and the payment form will be the same as requesting a new card.

If you take all the evidence I stated previously and make sure you speak to the bald guy, I am sure he will tell you what you need to do. The first time I went I told him the state of things and he wrote down the list of documents I needed to bring him, it was very simple :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 18:37:17 pm by Lexeus »

Offline cockney

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 20:14:09 pm »
Although your NIE number never changes your Passport number does every time that you renew it. Therefore the passport number that appears on many documents has  usually changed over the years. When we came to transfer our apartment after 32 years we had to show our passport to prove that we were the people named on the escritura. By then we had had 3 changes of passport and our current one was a different number  to that shown. Luckily we always keep our old ones as a travel diary and were able to show it. So I would suggest that you do the same and look after your old passports.

Offline Lexeus

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 17:18:54 pm »
I don't know what they did in the past, but both the NIE certificate and residency certificate issued to me only state my Full name, Date of Birth and Place of Birth (along with the NIE ID). As long as I have a currently valid passport to prove my ID (or other countries have ID cards they can use) they are not interested in which passport was used to issue it.

On the other hand, if you open a non-resident bank account, then you may find that in that case the bank uses your passport number rather than your NIE as they are more interested in having an ID to identify the customer rather than anything tax related

Offline TamaraEnLaPlaya

• I wish!
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 00:40:02 am »
My other half had to get a new Certificado de Registro after his wallet was stolen. We went to the Policia Nacional with a photocopy of the original and the robbery denuncia produced in the other part of the Policia Nacional building. The guy behind the desk filled in the form, my other half just signed it. We were given a triplicate form to take to the bank to pay the fee, around 10€ I think and told to return the next day with the receipt. Next day the receipt was swapped for the new Certificado de Registro. I had copies of every possible form with me, just in case, but all that was needed was a passport to confirm identity.

It was very similar a year previously when we needed to change our address. Just took in the existing C de Rs, passports, proof of new addresses and empadrons showing the new address as well. The date the first C de R was issued is shown as well as the new date of issue.

By EU law as a citizen of an EU member state after 5 years living in Spain your Registro is permanent whether it states it on the certificado or not - it's totally up to you whether you choose to get a new one issued that says permanent, doesn't make any difference. Of course once UK is out of the EU I presume the 5 year rule is one of the things up for grabs ……….

Offline vivafuerte

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 09:39:54 am »
The people you are dealing with at the police station are not police officers (Apart from anyone in police uniform)..

at the NIE place you deal with police officers in uniform, armed with guns.

Offline Lexeus

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2018, 17:22:33 pm »
We were given a triplicate form to take to the bank to pay the fee, around 10€ I think and told to return the next day with the receipt. Next day the receipt was swapped for the new Certificado de Registro. I had copies of every possible form with me, just in case, but all that was needed was a passport to confirm identity.

Do you still have your copy of the receipt? I imagine it is the the payment form "Tasa modelo 790 Código 012. Reconocimientos, Autorizaciones y Concursos" that I linked to above, the webpage generates a pdf which includes three copies:

https://sede.policia.gob.es/Tasa790_012/ImpresoRellenar

Offline TamaraEnLaPlaya

• I wish!
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2018, 23:39:26 pm »
We were given a triplicate form to take to the bank to pay the fee, around 10€ I think and told to return the next day with the receipt. Next day the receipt was swapped for the new Certificado de Registro. I had copies of every possible form with me, just in case, but all that was needed was a passport to confirm identity.

Do you still have your copy of the receipt? I imagine it is the the payment form "Tasa modelo 790 Código 012. Reconocimientos, Autorizaciones y Concursos" that I linked to above, the webpage generates a pdf which includes three copies:

https://sede.policia.gob.es/Tasa790_012/ImpresoRellenar

Just found our copy and yes it was the 790/012 and it was 10.60€.

Offline Lexeus

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2018, 14:59:54 pm »
There you go then John, doesn't sound like it should be complicated. Fill out the online form as I linked, print out the three pages it generates, then take it to a bank at and pay the now €12 and you shouldn't have nay problems.

Offline Johnrgby2

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2018, 17:01:46 pm »
There you go then John, doesn't sound like it should be complicated. Fill out the online form as I linked, print out the three pages it generates, then take it to a bank at and pay the now €12 and you shouldn't have nay problems.

Ok just for info should anyone else need it, the document is still 790/12, but it has changed significantly from the one on the link it is now a one-page form, it is quite a simple operation, this is what we did, if you are passing with the police station on your right along that road about 25 metres, there is a photocopying shop, go in there, she will fill in the form on a computer and give you three copies, and will also take and give you a photocopy of your passport, cost 2.65€, go to any bank hand over the three forms, pay 12€ they will then stamp them and return two, you then go to the police station, where they will fill in a form EX-18, which reports the missing NIE, took about three mins, then go to the main desk where they will process the document, you then need to return three working days later and collect the nes]w NIE, took twenty minutes in all.

Offline Lexeus

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2018, 18:46:45 pm »
Hi John, glad you got it sorted.

I don't think the Model 790/12 has changed? It sounds like filling in that form and printing the triplicate that is generated from it is what the copy shop did for their 2.65€, the printout don't look anything like the online form you have to fill in.

Like I said the EX-18 is the application form but I think what they ask you to fill in is just the first page, and even then they just bin it after typing in the interesting bits into the computer ;).

One question, when you say "police station" do you mean "Oficina de Extranjeria" or did you have to report your old Residency card as lost and get some sort of police report reference for it's loss?

Offline Johnrgby2

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2018, 09:08:21 am »
Hi Alex

The EX-18 is the form they gave us to report the loss, the forms I printed off we filled in, but we were told they were the wrong forms, then told the easiest way is to go along the road, to the photocopying shop, which we did, at the shop  {where incidentally both the staff/owners spoke very good English } they filled in all the details off the original form we had filled in and then printed off three single sheet copies of what is clearly marked 790/12 but is totally different to the document we had.

We went to the National Police Office, which if I remember is on Calle Juan Bethancourt, and there is a side entrance with a large sign which I think said DNI.

Offline spitfire58

• Fife, Scotland & Valles de Ortega, Fuerteventura
  • Just tell me how soon I can retire !!
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2018, 09:36:42 am »
Hi Alex

The EX-18 is the form they gave us to report the loss, the forms I printed off we filled in, but we were told they were the wrong forms, then told the easiest way is to go along the road, to the photocopying shop, which we did, at the shop  {where incidentally both the staff/owners spoke very good English } they filled in all the details off the original form we had filled in and then printed off three single sheet copies of what is clearly marked 790/12 but is totally different to the document we had.

We went to the National Police Office, which if I remember is on Calle Juan Bethancourt, and there is a side entrance with a large sign which I think said DNI.

Morning John, sounds a bit like the usual process with Spanish paperwork. Fill in what was right last week & then cross your fingers, lol 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂