Author Topic: Post Brexit Tax hike  (Read 1316 times)

Offline spitfire58

• Fife, Scotland & Valles de Ortega, Fuerteventura
  • Just tell me how soon I can retire !!
Post Brexit Tax hike
« on: June 23, 2018, 11:03:56 am »
Heard it mentioned of a 5% property tax hike for non EU property owners after Brexit !! Anyone heard this or is it just more scaremongering ???

Offline Ivemovedon

Re: Post Brexit Tax hike
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 12:40:08 pm »
Doubt the French property market will fancy that one. Might not be able to get rid of all those empty barns being renovated by the Brits and turned into something habitable.

Offline dagwood

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 12:43:49 pm »
Knowing what I know about the French the would prefer to have an auld empty barn than have it full of brits.

Offline paully

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 13:02:27 pm »
Knowing what I know about the French the would prefer to have an auld empty barn than have it full of brits.

You don`t know much then, bet you`ve never been either..There are many areas where the ex pats are welcomed, having renovated old properties that could not otherwise have been done. There is much concern in france for the state of their older historical properties. Many Mayors have cut all sorts of corners to get things done for people (not just Brits) enhancing Commune life. The young in France have already deserted the countryside, big time, and the contributions to the local economy is coming from ex-pats.

If you had driven through old French towns Dagwood, you would have seen derelict and delapidated buildings that they cannot afford to do up..If you had spoken to the French they are happy to take help from everyone. Not all is rosy in Gaul, far from it..

Offline Tamkid

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 14:08:41 pm »
Sorry, I'm not the brightest star in the sky, at what point will the 5% property tax happen? if at all.

Online Johnrgby2

• Don't confuse my attitude with my personality.
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 15:13:18 pm »
Sorry, I'm not the brightest star in the sky, at what point will the 5% property tax happen? if at all.

IF and when this happens, do you not think The UK government might retaliate?

Offline Logitechtom

• Birmingham/El Cotillo 50/50
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 17:53:40 pm »
Check out the tax rate for non-residents property tax. I was told that there are rates for owners from EU member countries and other rates for non-EU member countries. I was given to understand that it as 19% for EU and 24% for non-EU!

I'm not 100% sure of my facts, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me might be able to shed more light on the matter.

Tom.

Offline Lexeus

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 18:39:06 pm »

IF and when this happens, do you not think The UK government might retaliate?

God no! The UK government wouldn't want to do anything that might scare off all the Rusians/Chinese/Indian buyers

plus, when did the British government ever put protecting their population over protecting business?

Offline Lexeus

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 18:40:55 pm »
Check out the tax rate for non-residents property tax. I was told that there are rates for owners from EU member countries and other rates for non-EU member countries. I was given to understand that it as 19% for EU and 24% for non-EU!

I'm not 100% sure of my facts, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me might be able to shed more light on the matter.

Tom.

you are correct, known as IRNR https://www.spanishpropertyinsight.com/2015/12/08/non-resident-taxes-spain/

But that applies to non-resident home owners. I thought the OP might have been referring to a tax even for resident non-EU nationals.

Offline Tamkid

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 19:07:16 pm »

I agree entirely with you Lexeus, I understand what you are saying, apart from the bit about the British Government, it should read Bankers Mouth Pieces who are ruling the country. I have absolutely
no idea what spitfire is talking about, just need a bit more clarity. Unfortunately I have been on the Pop most afternoons with Football and Royal Ascot, it is playing havoc with my thought processes, not good at the best of times.

Offline spitfire58

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 00:17:19 am »
Don’t know that much about it either, that was why I was asking the question. I assumed it was/would be an additional 5% on top of the non residents tax we all pay at the moment

Offline Logitechtom

• Birmingham/El Cotillo 50/50
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2018, 08:22:56 am »
Hi Spitfire,

You are correct. Once the UK leaves the EU, in March next year, the non-residents property tax rate will increase from 19% to 24% - a 5% increase. However, remember you declare this tax one year in arrears, so it will be 2020 before you use that new rate.

Tom.

Offline dagwood

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 09:00:56 am »

You don`t know much then, bet you`ve never been either..There are many areas where the ex pats are welcomed, having renovated old properties that could not otherwise have been done. There is much concern in france for the state of their older historical properties. Many Mayors have cut all sorts of corners to get things done for people (not just Brits) enhancing Commune life. The young in France have already deserted the countryside, big time, and the contributions to the local economy is coming from ex-pats.

If you had driven through old French towns Dagwood, you would have seen derelict and delapidated buildings that they cannot afford to do up..If you had spoken to the French they are happy to take help from everyone. Not all is rosy in Gaul, far from it..

You know what I could make money if I called in these bets.
British immigrants only caused a property bubble which were not appreciated by the locals and of course they (the immigrants) look down on the local French people as fools and peasants. 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 09:26:15 am by dagwood »

Offline spitfire58

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 09:48:27 am »
Hi Spitfire,

You are correct. Once the UK leaves the EU, in March next year, the non-residents property tax rate will increase from 19% to 24% - a 5% increase. However, remember you declare this tax one year in arrears, so it will be 2020 before you use that new rate.

Tom.

Thanks Tom 😁😁😁
That’s not too bad really

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2018, 09:59:54 am »
Was going to buy in France a couple of years ago. But after the referendum result I had the thought that maybe an organization as low grade, protectionist and vindictive as the EU would be stupid enough to start a tit for tat tax war to try and make life difficult for UK citizens.

So bought in England instead, renting to the Uni market ( Canterbury) and everything going nicely. They can stick their auld barns where the sun don't shine. :)

« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 11:29:44 am by Ivemovedon »

Offline erik_tonny

• It Ain't Necessarily So
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2018, 13:20:57 pm »
British immigrants only caused a property bubble which were not appreciated by the locals and of course they (the immigrants) look down on the local French people as fools and peasants.
The biggest problem is that they take no effort to integrate.
They don't speak french but call the locals stupid because they don't speak english
Very much like the british expats in the Canaries

Offline dagwood

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2018, 13:28:32 pm »
The biggest problem is that they take no effort to integrate.
They don't speak french but call the locals stupid because they don't speak english
Very much like the british expats in the Canaries

I agree but what’s an ExPat, should they not be referred to as British immigrants or exiles.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 13:33:23 pm by dagwood »

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2018, 13:45:53 pm »
Total rubbish. We did not live in FV full time but still made an effort to learn Spanish and mixed in with local village life. Most ex pats I knew out there tried to be part of it. It was the locals who threw any barriers not them.

You two just get off on doing down the Britsh.

Offline paully

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2018, 14:09:09 pm »

You know what I could make money if I called in these bets.

Thank you Dagwood you`ve just proved my point you know nothing about the situation in France, other than that`s what you would like it to be........as for the bets, nothing to call in..you lost on them all

Offline dagwood

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2018, 14:47:34 pm »
The only point being proven is that Charles de Gaulle had great foresight when he made it hard for the U.K. to enter the EEC back in the day.
It must also be said in the British immigrants/exiles defence that they were once a nation that colonised anywhere they could and most of the British immigrants/exile in Europe and elsewhere without knowing it believe they can still do the same. It’s in their DNA.  Just like a sheepdog will know what to do with sheep.

Offline erik_tonny

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2018, 14:54:26 pm »
Total rubbish. We did not live in FV full time but still made an effort to learn Spanish and mixed in with local village life. Most ex pats I knew out there tried to be part of it. It was the locals who threw any barriers not them.

You two just get off on doing down the Britsh.
I know a lot (too much) of brits living in Corralejo for a long time, like 10 years,  who still don't speak spanish.
They rely on countrymen whenever they need something done. Even the poolman is british.
And they dare to complain when a waiter, shopkeeper, cabdriver etc doesn't speak english (not that their own slang is understandable)

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2018, 16:33:46 pm »
Corralejo... not the best place to practice your Spanish. Try it and they come back at you with English anyway.

I can't see the point of learning another language when in that location English is the universal choice of communication.

Must be hard for EU stalwarts to stomach the fact that everyone wants to speak English, but they do. Live with it.

Offline dagwood

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2018, 16:39:24 pm »
You lot will definitely need surgery to free your heads from being sooo far up your own hole.

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2018, 16:48:16 pm »
Lucky for you you speak English daggie. Look on it as a big plus in life.

Offline beachlife

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2018, 17:43:53 pm »
I`m assuming that when in Ireland dagwood and eric speak Irish as their first language and English is their second language or is it Spanish? Strange when I`m in Dublin I hear the majority of people speaking English rather than Irish to each other.

Tá an phota ag glaoch ar an gciteán dubh nuair a deir fear Éireannach go bhfuil fear Béarla ag olc sa Spáinnis.

Must say in my experience of both Irish and British is that they both speak Spanish equally as bad/good.

Personally, I can make myself understood in Spanish but struggle when they reply really quickly which they tend to do when you talk in Spanish, which is when SWMBO rescues me as she is much more fluent.

Offline Tamkid

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2018, 18:32:58 pm »
In Corralejo its not Spanish you should be learning, its Italian.

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2018, 11:04:59 am »
No need to learn anything.

They all speak English and enjoy doing so.

Offline erik_tonny

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2018, 19:38:12 pm »
Not just the lingo but also refusing to integrate, to adapt

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2018, 11:48:23 am »
Most of the British expats I know appear to have adapted very nicely. No better or worse than other nationalities.

There were  German, French,Belgian ,English, Irish, Swedish and Spanish neighbours down our road and all got on pretty well ( No Italians as far as I remember). Everyone adapted, but then all European cultures are pretty similar so there's not that much difference apart from a few varying National traits.

And you know what, one thing that bound them even closer,...this is gonna hurt sperik..they all of them spoke and communicated in English. It was the only language almost everybody knew.

Offline beachlife

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2018, 13:40:16 pm »
Most of the British expats I know appear to have adapted very nicely. No better or worse than other nationalities.

There were  German, French,Belgian ,English, Irish, Swedish and Spanish neighbours down our road and all got on pretty well ( No Italians as far as I remember). Everyone adapted, but then all European cultures are pretty similar so there's not that much difference apart from a few varying National traits.

And you know what, one thing that bound them even closer,...this is gonna hurt sperik..they all of them spoke and communicated in English. It was the only language almost everybody knew.

According to the 2011 census, 1.77 million people in Ireland claimed they could speak Irish, which is 41% of the population. While 99% speak English.

Maybe time for the Irish to stop fixating on English people who do not speak Spanish and concentrate on getting Irish people to speak their own language.

As for the English not integrating don`t see any evidence of the Irish being better at integrating than anyone else. Jeez everywhere you go in the world you see an Irish bar with the local Irish ex pats (or whatever you want to call them) propping up the bar, ordering Guinness and Irish stew.