Author Topic: Travel Insurance  (Read 695 times)

Offline Logitechtom

• Birmingham/El Cotillo 50/50
Travel Insurance
« on: July 10, 2018, 12:19:58 pm »
Hi,  Anyone got some good advice or recommendations for Annual Travel Insurance?

We currently use SAGA, as they are very good with pre-exsisting medical conditions (and that applies to both of us), however, they limit cover to a maximum of 45 days for a single trip and 120 days maximum in any year.  We spend much longer than than in El Cotillo!!  We can be there for 3 months at a time, and for 6 months of the year!!   We curently pay £205 for both of us for a year.

So, anyone any ideas?

TIA,  Tom.

Offline suendrob

• One Beautiful Island to Another
Re: Travel Insurance
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 12:47:55 pm »
We insure ourselves with Puffin. https://puffininsurance.com/travel-insurance (Travel Insurance Facilities)

Both over 60, both with declared conditions, (not major ones) £104 joint european policy.

Fortunately, we've never had the opportunity to put them to the test with a claim.
Very easy to deal with, during purchase, including pre-existing conditions questionaire.

Offline Windermeregolfer

• A Hole In One - In My Dreams
  • Keeping Calm
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 13:52:30 pm »
Do you have a Premium bank account with travel insurance included? Check that out if you do.

We have cover with RBS a/c which covers for any number of trips of up 31 days without notification, what would be interesting is on reading our booklet it talks about home and it could argued that the trip is the bit relating to the travel as you may class your accommodation in El Cotillo as home as you presumably own it and are not renting it so it not a holiday. 

The other issue to consider and check is either your EHI Card or your S1

Offline Logitechtom

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 18:12:18 pm »
Thanks both, I will try out Puffin later and I will also look at what the bank can offer (from memory, it was 31 days max).  We are both on EHIC cards as "home" is the UK and we spend the maximum time possible without hitting the limit for residency.

Tom.

Offline pegtee

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 19:39:15 pm »
Goodtogoinsurance.com.  The best I could find last winter.  Look at staysure they were good until I reached a certain age. Also look at go compare and  moneysupermarket.. They cover most companies.

Offline Logitechtom

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 22:11:14 pm »
Puffin have a maximum duration of 45 days, same as SAGA!

I will check out others. Thanks.

Tom

Offline fatherted

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 08:37:42 am »
We use Insure & Go as they've been very reasonable after taking into a/c existing medical conditions. Also the policy allows for 90 days vacations.

Offline Mr G

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 09:26:49 am »
Yes Insure and Go, 90 day max duration of any stay. £166 for 2 people under 65.

Offline Logitechtom

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 10:44:30 am »
Thanks everyone. I'm busy checking these out.

Tom.

Online beachlife

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 10:47:47 am »
If you phone insurance companies to ask for an extension of the cover to the number of days they will check with their underwriter and usually will it extend the 31 or 45 days if you pay an extra premium.

I use nationwide using a flexplus account which gives me worldwide cover for 31 days but I extend it to 100 days which costs me usually about an extra £100. A friend of mine using Nationwide insurance caught a flesh eating disease in Greece and had a £100,000 bill for hospital and hotel bill for his wife which they paid without a quibble. After interest on the bank account it means I`m paying £7 a month(+£100 for extra days) for worldwide insurance plus the account has other benefits like car breakdown cover, mobile phone cover etc. I was paying more than I was for 100 days cover with lots of other companies just for European cover plus I get other benefits with Nationwide.

Offline Logitechtom

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 13:20:21 pm »
With Insure and Go, the cover is only for 31 days if you are over 65.  Extensions are available, but quite costly!

Online beachlife

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 13:40:21 pm »
With Insure and Go, the cover is only for 31 days if you are over 65.  Extensions are available, but quite costly!

Nationwide cover is up to 75 then you have to pay an extra premium after that age.

No limit on number of trips in year. Except each trip must start from UK.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 13:42:10 pm by beachlife »

Offline Tamkid

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 15:07:15 pm »
Out of interest, up until this year I used SAGA for three insurances, car, landlords and House. I recently got reminders from them as the renewal is due, they have increased each one by an average of 20% and give no explanation for the increase, I have never ever claimed of any insurance apart from 5 years ago on my travel insurance for theft, and that wasn't with SAGA.

Having done a bit of research on the REVIEW sites, it seems common practice for SAGA to increase their insurances without any explanation, a lot of people are very unhappy, it seems like they are taken advantage of the elderly big time. I believe the MD of SAGA gave himself a £4,000,000 wage recently, Greed rules out society.

Offline Logitechtom

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 19:17:48 pm »
We have used SAGA travel insurance for several years. When the renewal notice arrives, there is always a considerable increase, from memory it was a 24% increase last year.  So I don't renew. I go to the SAGA Website and get a quote as a new customer - it's ALWAYS much cheaper!

However, it really annoys me that some companies will give great deals to get new customers, but completely ignore existing customers!!

Tom.