Author Topic: Do EU rules apply to UK but not France ?  (Read 398 times)

Offline beachlife

Do EU rules apply to UK but not France ?
« on: July 16, 2018, 13:26:43 pm »
Philippe Moryoussef a banker who rigged global interest rates has evaded UK justice by running away to his native France. He was was convicted of conspiracy to defaud and was due to be sentenced this Friday. Seems like the French have been for 5 years plotting to manipulate the Euribor interest rate ( keeping it lower than it should have been), which is important to France as like most of the EU governments they use London to get capital for government lending and projects.

He remains out of reach of British court under the protection of French law. So much for regularity equivalence across the single market.

Don`t expect the French or the EU to play fair seems to be the message.

Offline spitfire58

• Fife, Scotland & Valles de Ortega, Fuerteventura
  • Just tell me how soon I can retire !!
Re: Do EU rules apply to UK but not France ?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 18:54:25 pm »
When do any of them ever stick to the rules !! (Hint, only when it suits them). In Britain we stick suicidally to whatever rules he EU throw at us (more fools us) the rest of Europe look at the rules & either use or ignore as they see fit (or how they feel that week). We have been idiots since day one IMHO

Offline paully

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 19:15:39 pm »
If you have a system whereby the EU issue an edict, but the member Government decides its going to ignore it, for popularity etc reasons, then the EU usually turn a blind eye in the interests of unity. Then you have the UK, which historically, has enforced every diktat with ruthless efficency. The first time the populace get chance to vote on this, Brexit is the result.

Offline Johnrgby2

• Don't confuse my attitude with my personality.
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 19:46:06 pm »
I have said this before Greece, Italy and most other countries ignore them, Spain does not know they exist.

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 20:43:04 pm »
Question we have to ask then is why?. Why do our Political elite follow every rule to the letter, while other member states blatantly disregard them when it suits... usually with no penalty.

Only thing I can think of is our ruling classes have no real appetite for the job and are content to just go with the flow whether it is good for it's citizens or not. Bone idle, greedy and happy to sit on their fat a&ses in Westminster enjoying the fruits of an establishment lifestyle. What other jobs are there where you can sit back , collect your salary and leave someone else to take real responsibility for the decisions you are paid good money to make.

Maybe somebody has worked out a better reason....

Offline paully

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 10:55:57 am »
Your entirely right..However I also think that the above mentioned Politicos, whilst just as lazy, are more politically astute than ours..They can see grief coming and avoid it. Ours can`t.Cameron being the case in point.He thought the referendum was an argument he would win.If we had done the same as most of Europe we wouldn`t be having these conversations and we would`nt have Brexit, and we would be enjoying a much better and lucrative relationship with the EU..We might even have had some money spent on us as well  ::)

Offline erik_tonny

• It Ain't Necessarily So
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 16:15:44 pm »
Quod licet iovi non licet bovi

Offline vivafuerte

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 17:37:04 pm »
wasnt macron a banker ?

;)

the angle they are aiming for is a retrail in france. The UK trail was over a few years and one of his pals admitted it and went to jail, if its run in france there is less weight as the guy admitting it was now in another trial and the weight of importance on that will be alot less.

Offline beachlife

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 17:39:19 pm »
Quod licet iovi non licet bovi

Not sure about Jupiter and the ox, I like to deal with humans, so prefer Confucious

Faced with what is right, to leave it undone shows a lack of courage.