Author Topic: Where to buy wood for barbecue?  (Read 694 times)

Offline delpiero

Where to buy wood for barbecue?
« on: August 10, 2018, 12:42:01 pm »
Hi,
living for a period in Caleta and I love to barbecue. Unfortunately I could find only charcoal but no wood to buy?
Do you know any place where I could find?

Thanks,

Offline Lexeus

Re: Where to buy wood for barbecue?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 17:32:46 pm »
I am told that the only cheap source of firewood is old pallets, usually for €5 each from many companies that get deliveries from the peninsular, but I don't barbecue much  :D

I remember seeing this week that Lidl had barbecue bags of lena (firewood), but I am pretty sure it will just be charcoal inside, I wasn't really interested in it though.

There is a company that offer it delivered if you buy 10/12Kg http://www.greenmedioambiente.com/venta_de_lena_y_de_astillas_en_fuerteventura.php

Offline Stone Free

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 18:57:54 pm »
You could try picking up driftwood from the beaches.  It's free!

Offline Charlie dont surf

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 19:32:25 pm »
If you are going to use pallets then don't use the painted ones. The paint is quite toxic and the fumes will not only choke you but it'll make your food inedible.

Online Snowdrop

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 10:55:17 am »
Don’t think we’ve managed to buy a bag of charcoal that hasn’t had a big stone in it yet ❗️❗️

Offline Lexeus

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 15:11:03 pm »
If you are going to use pallets then don't use the painted ones. The paint is quite toxic and the fumes will not only choke you but it'll make your food inedible.

That is exactly what I said when I was offered the advice, but then being British we think of pallets as being bright blue. The pallets here are often just untreated wood, I guess the lack of rain or humidity makes the extra treatment a little unnecessary for the large quantity of one trips to the island

Offline Johnrgby2

• Don't confuse my attitude with my personality.
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 15:36:21 pm »
The Blue pallets you see in the UK and all around the world are supposedly owned by GKN, they introduced them in the UK in the late 70,s.  and where tightly controlled at first any delivery made on Chep (blue} pallet had to be replaced with another blue pallet if this was not possible, there used to be some documentation that had to be completed, and periodically someone from GKN Chep would visit and do an audit, to ensure they knew where the pallets were, that fell by the wayside quite quickly although they are still trying to control the use of them while they will burn some are treated with Methyl Bromide, they carry the stamp MB next to the word Chep { commonwealth handling pool } If my memory serves me, and definitely are not suitable to burn on a barbecue, the other issue with them and with all pallets, while they have a fairly long lifespan there is no way of telling what they have come into contact with during their previous usage, so my advise would be to steer clear of pallets of any type for use on a barbecue.   

Offline delpiero

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 23:41:53 pm »
thank you all for your answers.
I will try the next days this recycling company in Tarajalejo but in the meantime had a trip today to Pozo Negro and found some wood on the ground in the area. Will try it the next days.
Regarding pallets, I also do not like the idea because you never know what they have been used for..

Offline Charlie dont surf

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 08:52:39 am »
Well done for finding some decent wood to burn. It's like gold dust out there. Additionally, for the same reasons you shouldn't use pallets for woodburners. The residue from the toxic paint will stick to your flue and fill your home with noxious fumes.

Offline emmi

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 10:24:22 am »
What about going to one of the wood yards in Puerto behind Ideal and ask if they will give you bags of offcuts?

Offline Lexeus

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 13:37:57 pm »
The Blue pallets you see in the UK and all around the world are supposedly owned by GKN, they introduced them in the UK in the late 70,s.  and where tightly controlled at first any delivery made on Chep (blue} pallet had to be replaced with another blue pallet if this was not possible, there used to be some documentation that had to be completed, and periodically someone from GKN Chep would visit and do an audit, to ensure they knew where the pallets were, that fell by the wayside quite quickly although they are still trying to control the use of them while they will burn some are treated with Methyl Bromide, they carry the stamp MB next to the word Chep { commonwealth handling pool } If my memory serves me, and definitely are not suitable to burn on a barbecue, the other issue with them and with all pallets, while they have a fairly long lifespan there is no way of telling what they have come into contact with during their previous usage, so my advise would be to steer clear of pallets of any type for use on a barbecue.

Interesting to know, and a quick google of Methyl Bromide tells us that there is  "inadequate evidence in humans for the carcinogenicity of methyl bromide"  sounds delicious  ;D

Offline suendrob

• One Beautiful Island to Another
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 14:40:41 pm »
Methyl Bromide?

Methyl - associated with illicit and serious alcohol drinking

Bromide - isn't that what they allegedly put in soldiers' tea in the Great War? We all know what effect that was supposed to have!

Smoke it at your own risk  :o