Author Topic: Thomas Cooke  (Read 1990 times)

Offline Dagwhoiseoinmorganwood

Thomas Cooke
« on: August 30, 2018, 14:49:37 pm »
Thomas Cook was successfully sued last month after a family suffered gastric illness while staying at the Egyptian hotel where a British couple died, according to a law firm.

The family of four from South Wales accused the tour operator of failing to ensure food and drink at the hotel, in the Red Sea resort of Hurghada, was “safe for human consumption” and permitted food to be “re-served or re-used on more than one occasion”.

Manchester law firm JMW Solicitors, who acted for the family, said Newport County Court ordered Thomas Cook to pay £26,000 in compensation and costs.

Offline Villan

Re: Thomas Cook
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 21:14:08 pm »
For our latest visit we used Thomas Cook Flight for the first time. We have visited Fuerteventura a minimum 5 times a year for the past 10 years. We have used all major carriers at one time or another with the exception of TC. I have to say I was impressed in how civilised and good the whole flight experienced was. Boarding was organised and quick enabling the flight to depart on time. Price was competitive and the plane itself was clean and new.
In contrast our flight back was with Ryanair, a carrier we have used on many occasions and with whom we have flights booked for future visits. Queueing for boarding was a total and utter shambles with ground staff unable to explain and direct passengers into the correct queues (Priority, Non Priority and seats at the rear of the plane) this resulted in a total free for all, and numerous passengers getting to the passport/boarding card checking point then being sent back up the ramp to rejoin another queue. The flight was called 50 mins in advance of departure and yet we had still not boarded with 10 mins to go before scheduled take off. A key delay was the failure of ground staff to check the size of cabin luggage, as a result several passengers struggled to carry oversized luggage let alone put it in the overhead storage lockers. Some were at least 50% oversized. We arrived at our seat and my table was filthy and  broken at the hinge. Once seated I observed many other passengers  trying to squeeze vastly oversized luggage into the lockers which continued to slow boarding, by now the cabin crew were pleading with passengers every 5 mins. to take their seats for an on time departure. Of course no one took a blind bit of  notice. A female passenger in the row in front of us could not force her bag into the locker so she then stood on the seats astride the aisle with her shoes on, all watched by a male member of the cabin crew. We eventually departed  25 mins late. I'm sure there are much worse flights people on this Forum have experienced but I was particularly struck by the marked difference in the outbound and return flights.

Offline zedzedeleven

Re: Thomas Cooke
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 16:59:16 pm »
A far cry from the reign of pointy ears then, and why this particular cabin crew chose to ignore their own rules is anybodies guess. It just means more passengers will chance their arm and try to board with more than their luggage allowance next time, and they might not be so lucky.   

Offline Charlie dont surf

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 17:25:22 pm »
With
For our latest visit we used Thomas Cook Flight for the first time. We have visited Fuerteventura a minimum 5 times a year for the past 10 years. We have used all major carriers at one time or another with the exception of TC. I have to say I was impressed in how civilised and good the whole flight experienced was. Boarding was organised and quick enabling the flight to depart on time. Price was competitive and the plane itself was clean and new.
In contrast our flight back was with Ryanair, a carrier we have used on many occasions and with whom we have flights booked for future visits. Queueing for boarding was a total and utter shambles with ground staff unable to explain and direct passengers into the correct queues (Priority, Non Priority and seats at the rear of the plane) this resulted in a total free for all, and numerous passengers getting to the passport/boarding card checking point then being sent back up the ramp to rejoin another queue. The flight was called 50 mins in advance of departure and yet we had still not boarded with 10 mins to go before scheduled take off. A key delay was the failure of ground staff to check the size of cabin luggage, as a result several passengers struggled to carry oversized luggage let alone put it in the overhead storage lockers. Some were at least 50% oversized. We arrived at our seat and my table was filthy and  broken at the hinge. Once seated I observed many other passengers  trying to squeeze vastly oversized luggage into the lockers which continued to slow boarding, by now the cabin crew were pleading with passengers every 5 mins. to take their seats for an on time departure. Of course no one took a blind bit of  notice. A female passenger in the row in front of us could not force her bag into the locker so she then stood on the seats astride the aisle with her shoes on, all watched by a male member of the cabin crew. We eventually departed  25 mins late. I'm sure there are much worse flights people on this Forum have experienced but I was particularly struck by the marked difference in the outbound and return flights.

Agreed, they are the most civilised carrier to the Canaries, however, their measly 6kg allowance prohibits anyone travelling with hand baggage only. 10kg should be the minimum for hand baggage with all carriers.

Offline Villan

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 20:49:41 pm »
Fair point Charlie. The one (important) negative I forgot to mention.
They also weighed the hand luggage at check in which was a first for us. Also I agree their should be consistency across all carriers regarding weight and size for hand luggage.

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 13:38:23 pm »
Got stung by them insisting I check in 2 bags weighing around 8kg. £65 each bag at the gate. The plane was only a 3rd full so was surprised they enforced it TBH but I guess it was easy pickings & they had the time to weigh each case. I guess they also know that anyone with a roll on type case is going to be over 6kg so they made a small fortune on that flight alone, many others were charged. Just a warning to anybody travelling with Thomas Crook.

Offline The Equaliser

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 19:11:07 pm »
Got stung by them insisting I check in 2 bags weighing around 8kg. £65 each bag at the gate. The plane was only a 3rd full so was surprised they enforced it TBH but I guess it was easy pickings & they had the time to weigh each case. I guess they also know that anyone with a roll on type case is going to be over 6kg so they made a small fortune on that flight alone, many others were charged. Just a warning to anybody travelling with Thomas Crook.

Its still not stopping them having financial problems

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 18:38:24 pm »
Seems like the Canaries is out of fashion this year, which has added to their woes. Lots of empty Hotel rooms & even emptier planes.

Offline Villan

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 20:31:02 pm »
Looking at the statistics I think it's just Fuerteventura that is experiencing reduced visitor numbers. All the other Canary islands are increasing  air visitor numbers allbeit lower growth than previous years.

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 10:15:14 am »
EasyJet too reporting grim trading. The Brexit fiasco is undoubtedly beginning to bite across the travel industry. It’s also responsible for UK property market stalling to a halt. £ now on the slide. Hope it’s hitting the Brexiteers where it hurts  :o

Offline TrustMeImTheDoctor

• ¡uɐld ɐ s’ʇᴉ puǝʇǝɹd puɐ ʇɥƃᴉʇ ploH
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 14:07:08 pm »
EasyJet too reporting grim trading. The Brexit fiasco is undoubtedly beginning to bite across the travel industry. It’s also responsible for UK property market stalling to a halt. £ now on the slide. Hope it’s hitting the Brexiteers where it hurts  :o
Brexiters’ delusions on trade die hard

Brexit will hammer Britain's financial services - and no-one seems to have noticed