Author Topic: Top Car Deposit now €550 Sept 2018  (Read 795 times)

Offline MinRich

Top Car Deposit now €550 Sept 2018
« on: October 06, 2018, 07:52:39 am »
On our last visit Top Car deposit was €550 if you don’t take their full insurance ! The deposit used to be 250 but that increased to 350 in March and now 550 , why ? They have lost me as a customer as i am not happy with this size of deposit. So probably will go with Payless or another , they are all similar price for the hire anyway . Any reccomendations ?

Offline bedouin

Re: Top Car Deposit now €550 Sept 2018
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 10:07:32 am »
PlusCar is the one to go for, no excess, no queues, no silly fuel policy.

Offline spitfire58

• Fife, Scotland & Valles de Ortega, Fuerteventura
  • Just tell me how soon I can retire !!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 10:28:10 am »
I know what the response to mentioning “Orlando” is on here but just had about our 6th or 7th hire from them & never had a problem. This time needed an upgrade to a 6 seater for the 2nd week of our hire & again had no issues. Vehicle was almost new (6000km) & all done with smiles & speed. Deposit is still 350€ there 🙂🙂

Offline Lexeus

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 15:44:54 pm »
By deposit, do you mean an authorisation on a credit card? I have never actually paid any money to a car hire company that had to be refunded when I returned the car....
I haven't used TopCar/AutoReisen for 2years, but they were fantastic when I did, I can only imagine they need a sizeable deposit to ensure they aren't out of pocket when an accident occurs which is unsurprising given their low prices and therefore surely relatively low margins.

Offline paully

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 16:59:35 pm »
Topcar split from Autoreisen some time ago..much inferior terms and conditions..you have to take their full comp insurance package in order to even get breakdown cover..which is only in the small print...best avoided

Autoreisen are very good with straightforward terms and conditions.. recommended although Cabrera Medina/  Cicar are still the market leader..got upgraded this week to a nice Opel Mokka on a good deal..also recommended

Offline cockney

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 18:37:52 pm »
Why on earth would you pay a deposit on a car rental. I have used Cicar for years and only ever paid on pick up with a genuine All Risks package. The fuel policy is simple, return it as you take it, no problem.

Offline MinRich

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 16:30:51 pm »
We have used Top Car Autoreisen for at least 20 Car hires. As someone else said they split from Autoreisen. We have always paid a deposit and it has always been refunded. Just won’t be booking with them again , what would be the benefit of increasing the deposit ?

Offline Windermeregolfer

• A Hole In One - In My Dreams
  • Keeping Calm
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 08:01:05 am »
We used Top Car AutoRiesen many times until last September ('17) yes the refundable deposit had gone up ok but then they wanted cash not CC as the hire was for more than 4 weeks and the hassle handing the car back was a pain has you had to queue not just hand the key in.

We changes to Plus car who were fantastic so recommend them for our trips in Dec Feb & June.

Also recommend insurance4carhire.com £39 for a years cover in Europe for excess reimbursement.

Offline spitfire58

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 14:33:56 pm »
By deposit, do you mean an authorisation on a credit card? I have never actually paid any money to a car hire company that had to be refunded when I returned the car....
I haven't used TopCar/AutoReisen for 2years, but they were fantastic when I did, I can only imagine they need a sizeable deposit to ensure they aren't out of pocket when an accident occurs which is unsurprising given their low prices and therefore surely relatively low margins.

Hi Alex,
Yes, I meant credit card “hold” however this time we took full insurance so didn’t need cc hold or anything else

Offline Lexeus

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 20:33:14 pm »
I would 2nd insurance4carhire.com, I have taken out a policy twice as it's always cheaper to have 12 months with them then just taking a week from a hire company. I have an EU policy right now and I previously had worldwide.

You should check them out Ron, never taken the fully comprehensive insurance form the hire company unless it's free, like it was previously with Topcar/Autoreisen when I used them two years ago.

I have actually had an instance with Europcar where I had to payout for invisible damage to the bumper (not even a scrape) and I was amazed at how easily and quickly I got the money back from insurance4carhire.com (£600 too!!)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 20:35:49 pm by Lexeus »

Offline Gone Fishing

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 12:39:13 pm »
I can thoroughly recommend Payless as an alternative.

Have had nothing but exemplary service from them and have never paid a deposit for the car or fuel.

Car is always in good condition, well cleaned and usually minimum of 1/4 tank of fuel, usually more.

Pay the on-line quoted rental cost for the car on your credit card or in cash in arrivals hall, re-fuel to the same level on return and drop the keys off without any hassle. 

Have just booked again for our December trip  - Fiat Panda for €126 for 11 days inc. full insurance.

http://www.payless.es/en/fuerteventura-car-hire

Steve

Edit: Just checked as if for a new booking for our December dates and 11 days for a Fiat Panda = €139
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 12:45:39 pm by Gone Fishing »

Offline spitfire58

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 13:32:02 pm »
I would 2nd insurance4carhire.com, I have taken out a policy twice as it's always cheaper to have 12 months with them then just taking a week from a hire company. I have an EU policy right now and I previously had worldwide.

You should check them out Ron, never taken the fully comprehensive insurance form the hire company unless it's free, like it was previously with Topcar/Autoreisen when I used them two years ago.

I have actually had an instance with Europcar where I had to payout for invisible damage to the bumper (not even a scrape) and I was amazed at how easily and quickly I got the money back from insurance4carhire.com (£600 too!!)

Hi Alex,
I have a policy with them already. Had an accident when out in April & got the £600 back without any great issue but wasn’t too sure about a repeat if necessary (although, obviously hoping to not need it, lol) so just went for full insurance this time. All good though, no issues (again, as always) with Orlando

Offline Lexeus

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2018, 14:53:53 pm »
ah I see, the belt and braces approach! ;)

Offline spitfire58

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2018, 17:18:55 pm »
ah I see, the belt and braces approach! ;)

To be sure, to be sure, 🤣😂🤣😂 🇮🇪

Offline MinRich

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 15:10:10 pm »
Good input....thanks

I have looked at Ryanair linked car rental deals, they state “won’t find cheaper”. Have seen offers with BUDGET and Ryanair also say ”free car hire if found cheaper”.... The Polo is about £20 cheaper than we paid Topcar. So whats Budget like ? Anyone else use Ryanair to book ?

Offline bedouin

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2018, 16:22:42 pm »

I have looked at Ryanair linked car rental deals, they state “won’t find cheaper”. Have seen offers with BUDGET and Ryanair also say ”free car hire if found cheaper”.... The Polo is about £20 cheaper than we paid Topcar. So whats Budget like ? Anyone else use Ryanair to book ?

Ryanair deals with the major players, who generally will have high excess amounts.  If you were unhappy with TopCar's €550 excess deposit, you won't like Budget's excess deposit, which is €1950 for a Polo.  And you'll still have to go through the rigmarole of checking the car for scratches etc on pick-up and again on return.  With PlusCar, you'll pay about the same as Ryanair's best price, but there's no excess, no queuing, no stupid fuel scams, no extra insurance to buy.

Offline falkirkdan

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2018, 19:38:41 pm »
Mind if you are looking to book Payless and i have time after time  you need to use Payless.es mind the ES or you will end up with an agency also called Payless