Author Topic: Poppy  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Ivemovedon

Re: Poppy
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2018, 19:22:12 pm »
And yeah why not question an establishments standards..good or bad.?.

What is it then..are they immune from criticism unlike the rest of us...thats been one of the major failings on this forum over the years..too expat matey matey.lets not offend ..so no real worthwhile analyse of bars and restaurants.  Nobody even after reading reviews has a friggin clue what to expect.

Offline dagwood

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2018, 19:37:04 pm »
I take it johns not in a position to stand up in court and say it happened, but he could stand up and say a mate seen it happening. I don’t think it would be acceptable in court.
If you can’t personally vouch don’t destroy someone’s business with hear say.

Online vivafuerte

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2018, 20:45:16 pm »
is this the irish being horrible little rats once again ?

what the hell is wrong with them ? small man syndrome ?

Offline bookman

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2018, 23:11:15 pm »
And yet we are still waiting for the name of the bar. Put up or shut up.

Offline Johnrgby2

• Don't confuse my attitude with my personality.
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2018, 08:45:20 am »
I am 100% convinced it happened, one of the reasons is he did not tell me directly, he made an off the cuff remark, which I picked up on and he then related the story, so no Witch hunt.

I will not name the Bar for the same reason I will not post negative reports on restaurants on the Island, we eat out a couple of times a week and frequently try restaurants all over the Island if we find a good one I will mention it, if not I will normally not bother, as was the case last night where my daughter had a steak that I am convinced the animal that provided the steak was not slaughtered, but died of old age, I will repeat what I said in the original post, it is their prerogative, as it is mine to name or not name it.

In a similar vein, there is a pub on West Street in Bristol where they will not serve you this week if you are not wearing a poppy,  and it has been that way for a year or two now, that is called The Three Lions, I have a feeling it was once called The British standard, or some other patriotic name.

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2018, 10:40:47 am »
Yes it is your prerogative to stay silent on the bars name. Personally can't agree with it if you are that convinced that that is the way they operate. But par for the course these days as nobody seems to take responsibility or appears to be taken to task for shoddy service or  behaviour.
Looks like this particular bar can and will carry on regardless as nobody is up for opposing them or willing to shame them .
Very sad.

Having said that the run up to remembrance Sunday this year has been mind boggling in Britain . Tower hill came to a standstill yesterday evening with crowds queuing to see the 10, 000 flaming torches on display. I guess it puts one little mean spirited and bigoted bar in Caleta into perspective.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 16:32:14 pm by Ivemovedon »

Offline erik_tonny

• It Ain't Necessarily So
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2018, 16:45:48 pm »
Okay, who can name an irish bar in Chaveta where they will serve you even if you are wearing a poppy ?

Offline Johnrgby2

• Don't confuse my attitude with my personality.
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2018, 20:07:56 pm »
Okay, who can name an irish bar in Chaveta where they will serve you even if you are wearing a poppy ?

Is this guy sane? or real? or not a liar? or not very sad? answers on a postcard to forget  it, I can not be Ars*ed

Offline whyme

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2018, 20:45:45 pm »
I've lived here a while now and if there's one thing I've learned is if you don't witness it personally then don't take it as gospel or it will come back and bite you on the bum. There are three Irish bars in the town that I know of, one is owned by Italians who probably wouldn't know the reason for poppy wearing and the other two I know the owners personally. If this incident happened in either of their bars and they'd been present they would certainly have had something to say about it as I've always found both of them to be men of the utmost integrity.

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2018, 23:08:04 pm »
Case closed.

Offline dagwood

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2018, 23:10:29 pm »

Offline spitfire58

• Fife, Scotland & Valles de Ortega, Fuerteventura
  • Just tell me how soon I can retire !!
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2018, 23:37:52 pm »
I've lived here a while now and if there's one thing I've learned is if you don't witness it personally then don't take it as gospel or it will come back and bite you on the bum. There are three Irish bars in the town that I know of, one is owned by Italians who probably wouldn't know the reason for poppy wearing and the other two I know the owners personally. If this incident happened in either of their bars and they'd been present they would certainly have had something to say about it as I've always found both of them to be men of the utmost integrity.

I know “The step in” & “O’Connors” but what is the third one whyme ??

Offline erik_tonny

• It Ain't Necessarily So
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2018, 09:16:56 am »

Is this guy sane? or real? or not a liar? or not very sad? answers on a postcard to forget  it, I can not be Ars*ed

What is your problem this time?
- You yell that an irish bar doesn't serve people wearing a poppy, and then you run away
- Ivemovedon states that there are only 2 irish bars in Chaveta
- Everyone wants to know who the naughty bar is (and you still won't tell)
- So lets eliminate by asking who the nice bar is

Offline whyme

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2018, 09:17:39 am »
The sports lounge.

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2018, 09:18:25 am »
Case closed.

How come ?

Well from what has been said it seems the bar owners are not the type to allow that sort of stuff as bar policy. If it happened it was just a member of bar staff with an agenda. Different altogether.

Case closed

Offline dagwood

« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2018, 09:24:39 am »
Case closed.

How come ?

Well from what has been said it seems the bar owners are not the type to allow that sort of stuff as bar policy. If it happened it was just a member of bar staff with an agenda. Different altogether.

Case closed

No closed yet, we still don’t know if the two guys were asked to leave because they already had enough to drink and we’re potential troublemakers.

Offline spitfire58

• Fife, Scotland & Valles de Ortega, Fuerteventura
  • Just tell me how soon I can retire !!
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2018, 09:34:10 am »
The sports lounge.

Ah, ok. Thanks whyme, didn’t know that was an Irish bar 🙂🙂

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2018, 09:59:11 am »
Case closed.

How come ?

Case closed

No closed yet, we still don’t know if the two guys were asked to leave because they already had enough to drink and we’re potential troublemakers.

Doubt we will ever know that it happened last year.
Maybe not case closed but filed under historic crimes unsolved but still under investigation. ;)

Offline Charlie dont surf

« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2018, 11:09:53 am »
Never really case open. Just a rumour with no foundation and no way of proving what actually happened anyway. Unless somebody was standing next to the people involved and heard exactly what was said, it was pretty pointless making a point about it in the first place.

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2018, 11:27:37 am »
Never pointless to report any possible business malfunctions on here. Even if the information is proved false it keeps em on their toes.

Also gives me and daggie the chance to cross swords again.

Offline dagwood

« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2018, 11:52:28 am »
Just heard a rumour that someone is parking a big red bus in the car park across from the Chinese shop in Caleta.
 Anybody wishing to spread lies, rumours and other rubbish can do so by placing an advertisement on the side of it. For a small fee of course.
This information is straight from the horses 🐎 mouth or maybe it’s the other end. 😆😆😆
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 11:53:59 am by dagwood »

Offline Charlie dont surf

« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2018, 12:06:41 pm »
Love it!

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2018, 12:50:07 pm »
It's looking like no deal and no second referendum boys.

I'm looking forward to seeing if all the predictions of  British social and financial melt down are going to prove true or are just an extension of project fear.

All going to be very interesting with one of us being able to say I told you so.
Yes...very interesting  ;)

Offline dagwood

« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2018, 13:27:14 pm »
I think we may have to wait a while to see what happens as neither leave or remain are capable of telling the truth, we will have to watch the action from the sidelines and form our own opinions. What a mess.

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2018, 14:06:14 pm »
Can any one tell me why May is forging ahead with the chequers deal when it has no chance of being approved at home let alone the EU.
Maggie would have had this wound up in no time to the UK's advantage.

Offline dagwood

« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2018, 16:14:12 pm »
Can any one tell me why May is forging ahead with the chequers deal when it has no chance of being approved at home let alone the EU.
Maggie would have had this wound up in no time to the UK's advantage.

I think she’s about to pack it in, get the brown envelope and the big pension. Then she can say to whoever replaces her “you fecked it up” no matter what party they come from.
Looks like my prophecy is taking shape.
As for Maggie she could well have been a remainer, we will never know.

Offline whyme

« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2018, 22:25:51 pm »
Watch out for Geoffrey Cox.

Offline tl2222

• Sun's up!
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2018, 19:45:18 pm »
O'Connors Irish bar is Spanish owned and has a Spanish manager. All of their staff wore a poppy on armistice day, fact. There is no way that this establishment would have such a problem. It would be nice if someone could speak positively (and accurately) for the other Irish bar.