Author Topic: Big passengers  (Read 1920 times)

Offline ashworth

Big passengers
« on: March 14, 2019, 11:48:06 am »
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/ba-passenger-forced-to-sit-next-to-man-the-size-of-jonah-lomu-takes-case-to-court-of-appeal/ar-BBUFJnQ?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=iehp&fbclid=IwAR17rZgXfPjMRyCPZB0XenZQl4SSMSbHr37PAnlsQ-lPo7Mkjqf6anQxANs

Jonah Lomu would be a Bantamweight against some of the Northern Lasses I have had to sit next to on the Leeds/Manchester Ryanair flights to Fuerteventura. By gum it's grim up North 🤣

Offline sungod

Re: Big passengers
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 15:38:01 pm »
They can set max sizes and limits for luggage, please start doing the same for passengers. It's not fun being forced to sit next to Jabba the hut.

Offline zedzedeleven

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 08:45:05 am »
Back in the early days of passenger aviation the passengers were weighed on one of those scales that were popular in Woolworth stores , no privacy and your weight was there for all to see. Let`s return to those days, when your luggage gets weighed so do you and if you are over the limit you pay more. Possibly having to pay for two seats. 

Offline suendrob

• One Beautiful Island to Another
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 10:56:12 am »
We recently took our first flight with Ryanair (that's another story, though).
We booked our cross-aisle seats right behind the emergency exit row. An enormous male and his oversize female took their seats in front of me.
As everybody settled, he then asked cabin crew for two seatbelt extenders!
Needless to say, she declined. She then asked the young chaps beside me to move out and swapped them with him and her.
The younger ones were now closer to their mates, very happy. I had the big pair next to me.
I managed to spend the entire flight without moving my arm from the armrest! Fortunately his side belly was soft, so my elbow was poked in there for the duration. It was almost worth it to see his discomfort.
When he spoke to his wife, it turned out they had not only paid extra for the legroom, but also a third seat, for extra space. And the same for the return flight. Not happy. Not happy at all. Tough.

btw - this was to Benidorm! We've always wanted to see what it's really like there, and it certainly lived up to expectations. 4 nights at the Solana - Brilliant.

Offline malabu

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 13:00:56 pm »
We booked our cross-aisle seats right behind the emergency exit row. An enormous male and his oversize female took their seats in front of me.
Needless to say, she declined. She then asked the young chaps beside me to move out and swapped them with him and her.
The younger ones were now closer to their mates, very happy. I had the big pair next to me.
I managed to spend the entire flight without moving my arm from the armrest! Fortunately his side belly was soft, so my elbow was poked in there for the duration. It was almost worth it to see his discomfort.
When he spoke to his wife, it turned out they had not only paid extra for the legroom, but also a third seat, for extra space. And the same for the return flight. Not happy. Not happy at all. Tough.

Why tough, the guy was aware of his size and the inconvenience caused so booked accordingly, not his fault he was moved next to you tell Ryanair of your complaint

btw - this was to Benidorm! We've always wanted to see what it's really like there, and it certainly lived up to expectations. 4 nights at the Solana - Brilliant.

Offline suendrob

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 14:16:06 pm »

Why tough, the guy was aware of his size and the inconvenience caused so booked accordingly, not his fault he was moved next to you tell Ryanair of your complaint

I take your point, he did try.
However, all airlines make it clear that those seats can only be occupied by 'fit and able' passengers. Also, seatbelt extenders are not permitted in those seats. This is why it's important to read the instructions when booking.
I wasn't complaining as such, simply pointing out how people get themselves into situations.

Offline Tamkid

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 20:41:14 pm »
I'm reporting you all for "FATISM, its not acceptable to call "Fat People" "Fat". It is a serious point about were they sit on a plane, something I have never thought about, imagine if one came down after you on an escape shoot, you could be flattened, or if they got stuck in the isle in front of you during an evacuation,????? will need to look around the plane in future.

Offline Roar of the Rovers

• domestic goddess is our Jon
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 23:23:31 pm »
Is FATTTTISM after all its all that extra T they eat

Offline Archer

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 08:22:37 am »
Wouldn't the airline need to know the weight of passengers, so they don't seat all the heavy ones on one side, else the plane would go round in circles?

Offline spitfire58

• Fife, Scotland & Valles de Ortega, Fuerteventura
  • Just tell me how soon I can retire !!
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 09:56:27 am »
Wouldn't the airline need to know the weight of passengers, so they don't seat all the heavy ones on one side, else the plane would go round in circles?

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

Offline malabu

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 13:54:03 pm »
Not all large people are in a position to control there weight or any other disability’s they may have so please don’t put all these people under one umbrella and condem them all to stay in thee front room and suffer in silence, give them a little respect and allow them some dignity.

Offline zedzedeleven

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 14:25:32 pm »
Rubbish, they are fat because they are gluttons, mebbe one in a million has a medical condition but even so, it takes excess food to create fat. We are talking about obesity when a fat person can`t fit into a normal plane seat. People like Jonah Lomu excepted obviously.

Offline Tamkid

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 15:29:44 pm »
Totally agree Zed, I go into a leisure centre three times a week and if you time it wrong in the morning you get what look like three hippos swimming across the pool it leaves no room for the rest of us, they then go into the café and stuff their FAT faces with Cream cakes and coffee, you then go through the shopping centre and into WH Smith, its chocolate from flour to ceiling, then walk onto Greggs with lots of FAT Young mothers buying pies for themselves and a sausage roll for the kid in the pram, you stop at a garage on the way home, again, its chocolate heaven and pies, then what happens when you switch on the telly, "Cookery Programmes" on every bloody channel. "Get real Malabu, we live in very FAT greedy times, a medical condition is an excuse used by greedy fat people, I live with one.

Offline jill tie

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 16:40:07 pm »
Not all large people are in a position to control there weight or any other disability’s they may have so please don’t put all these people under one umbrella and condem them all to stay in thee front room and suffer in silence, give them a little respect and allow them some dignity.

I agree,  too easy to assume all fat people are to blame.  Other factors do include health issues
like diabetes which I believe slows down the sufferer metabolic rate.  Also depression and some of
the drugs used can also be a factor.  I also think plane seats are to blame they are too small.  My
parents took my grandparents (RIP) away a few years ago.  My grandparents had only ever been to Blackpool.
They went AI and my grandad loved it.  Going out no problem,  coming back he couldn't put the tray table
down which made us all laugh.

Offline paully

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 17:23:33 pm »

I agree,  too easy to assume all fat people are to blame.  Other factors do include health issues
like diabetes which I believe slows down the sufferer metabolic rate.  Also depression and some of
the drugs used can also be a factor.  I also think plane seats are to blame they are too small.  My
parents took my grandparents (RIP) away a few years ago.  My grandparents had only ever been to Blackpool.
They went AI and my grandad loved it.  Going out no problem,  coming back he couldn't put the tray table

Most are overweight due to their own actions..I should know I was for far too long and a diabetic to boot..Luckily I did something about it, with some medical help as well and lost 4.5 stone. It meant doing something different, exercising more, stopping feeling like your a victim and getting  orf ones ass..Help is available via the NHS but its the will to reduce food intake and seriously exercise that is sadly lacking today.

Offline suendrob

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 17:48:53 pm »
Good for you, well done, you should be proud of yourself.

I do believe that the vast majority are in control of their own destiny, just needing that wake-up call. I fully accept that a small number are not able to control things for themselves.

The only thing I've never understood, though, is how they can afford to buy so much food!

Most are overweight due to their own actions..I should know I was for far too long and a diabetic to boot..Luckily I did something about it, with some medical help as well and lost 4.5 stone. It meant doing something different, exercising more, stopping feeling like your a victim and getting  orf ones ass..Help is available via the NHS but its the will to reduce food intake and seriously exercise that is sadly lacking today.

Offline Tamkid

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2019, 19:00:06 pm »
Well posted Paully, a bit of honesty, we live in a society of excuses for everything bad. I'm a pig myself, my other half is even worse, people should be honest, there's lots of very FAT greedy English people, every other high street outlet is a café or takeaway, what else do we expect???? our national dish is "Fish and Chips" followed by McDonalds, and don't get me started on the Americans, OMG, they should rename it OIKLAND.

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2019, 19:40:19 pm »
Don't get carried away ..there are plenty of thin fit people about in the UK.
I'm assuming you're one of them.

Offline sungod

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2019, 05:57:07 am »
Totally agree Zed, I go into a leisure centre three times a week and if you time it wrong in the morning you get what look like three hippos swimming across the pool it leaves no room for the rest of us, they then go into the café and stuff their FAT faces with Cream cakes and coffee, you then go through the shopping centre and into WH Smith, its chocolate from flour to ceiling, then walk onto Greggs with lots of FAT Young mothers buying pies for themselves and a sausage roll for the kid in the pram, you stop at a garage on the way home, again, its chocolate heaven and pies, then what happens when you switch on the telly, "Cookery Programmes" on every bloody channel. "Get real Malabu, we live in very FAT greedy times, a medical condition is an excuse used by greedy fat people, I live with one.

This is brilliant   :D

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2019, 09:51:47 am »
Can't see how overweight swimmers can be criticised for taking up pool space. They are making the effort and doing what you accuse them of not doing. Exercise.

We certainly do live in fat greedy times, consumerism is rife, we are bombarded non stop with fattening unhealthy goods. But lets get it into perspective. Ever been down South and taken a look at the overweight Germans lounging around.. they are the worlds worst for all inclusive, they love it. And boy do they take advantage of it. Take a trip round Cotillo and have a little look at the heavy pot bellied Italians of which there are many.

On the other side of the coin the Leisure centres you refer to were not around 30 to 40 years ago. Now there's a David Lloyd gym or council run community sports centre on every corner. And most of them packed out to the rafters with sweaty bodies. Many schools now have nutritional rules regarding packed lunches and any that provide school dinners have to abide by guidelines as to what they can give the kids.

Yes there are plenty of parents could do with educating on dietry provision, and some couldn't care less anyway. But there's plenty of healthy sporty kids in the UK, it's not just our problem. You never saw a fast food American burger joint in Spain or the Canaries 20 years ago, now they are all over the place. Give it time. Our problem will soon be theirs.

PS..The first fast food joint (apart from fish and chips) to arrive was I think Wimpy bars. They were certainly around in the very early 60's. So we've had 50 odd years for the industry to grow and influence our diets. I didn't know what a pizza was when I was 10.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 10:43:31 am by Ivemovedon »

Offline Charlie dont surf

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2019, 10:50:00 am »
The point is there appears to be an inordinate number of fat passengers on flights from the UK to Fuerteventura and to other Spanish destinations. This is likely to increase due to a growing problem of obesity in the UK. The Airlines will have to act as these passengers are a risk to other passengers onboard. Not only is it extremely uncomfortable & unpleasant sitting next to a fatty but worst case scenario the fatties could prevent the non fatties from evacuating the aircraft in an emergency, such as a fire onboard.
If the fatties had a conscience then they wouldn't fly at all. A holiday in the Sun should give them a good incentive to shift some blubber.

Online Ronnie The Blue

• life's better with a whopper
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2019, 10:57:18 am »
In my schooldays, pizza was a tower that leaned and the McDonald's had a farm.

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2019, 11:02:08 am »
In my schooldays, pizza was a tower that leaned and the McDonald's had a farm.

True.  :D

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2019, 11:09:04 am »
The point is there appears to be an inordinate number of fat passengers on flights from the UK to Fuerteventura and to other Spanish destinations. This is likely to increase due to a growing problem of obesity in the UK. The Airlines will have to act as these passengers are a risk to other passengers onboard. Not only is it extremely uncomfortable & unpleasant sitting next to a fatty but worst case scenario the fatties could prevent the non fatties from evacuating the aircraft in an emergency, such as a fire onboard.
If the fatties had a conscience then they wouldn't fly at all. A holiday in the Sun should give them a good incentive to shift some blubber.

Unless you regularly used flights from Dusseldorf or Milan to Fuerteventura you couldn't compare it to a flight from Manchester. It's my guess you would have exactly the same problems. I certainly wouldn't relish a 4 hour flight sitting next to some of the huge Germans and Italians I've seen on the island.

Not sure what the answer is other than anyone of a weight that would make life uncomfortable for fellow passengers facing a penalty charge. Unless they can prove it is not due to medication.

Offline zedzedeleven

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2019, 11:30:54 am »
Well an` all, you can`t create summat out of nowt. What medication is it that balloons someone up to twenty stone from nine? The weightlifting and bodybuilding fraternity spend huge sums of money on anabolic steroids growth hormone and bucket loads of whey protein in their quest to add muscle  and in most cases the gains are only modest. No, you only have to watch such programs as "my sixty stone life" to realise the colossal amount of calorie dense junk that the obese shovel down day after day, and how many have been secretly filmed sneaking into burger joints or raiding the fridge at night. Then strenuously deny it. 

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2019, 12:23:18 pm »
Had a look at European obesity levels. The Uk is third behind turkey and Malta on 27.%. The European average being 23.3%.

In all honesty the figures, although being universally high, almost one in four, they are not that much different and certainly don't show we as a country have a major difference to elsewhere. As I said... you could say it's a problem, but it's not just our problem

Offline Charlie dont surf

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2019, 12:46:44 pm »
I would say it's the rising rate of obesity that is the major concern for the UK and you can see the reason for this when you look at the average High Street where you will find an abundance of fast food outlets. Go into any major UK supermarket and you have aisles and aisles of crisps, snacks, soft drinks, sweets, cakes, ready meals etc etc. Compare it to the average Spanish High Street or supermarket to see where the problem lies. It's not rocket science.

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2019, 13:07:33 pm »
There's countless bookmakers on every high st now. Gambling's a big problem too. What's the answer ..is the UK an addictive nation?

Offline suendrob

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2019, 13:29:49 pm »
There's countless bookmakers on every high st now. Gambling's a big problem too. What's the answer ..is the UK an addictive nation?

Addictive? Nah - Weak-willed and easily led.

Offline malabu

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2019, 13:37:35 pm »
Can't see how overweight swimmers can be criticised for taking up pool space. They are making the effort and doing what you accuse them of not doing. Exercise.

We certainly do live in fat greedy times, consumerism is rife, we are bombarded non stop with fattening unhealthy goods. But lets get it into perspective. Ever been down South and taken a look at the overweight Germans lounging around.. they are the worlds worst for all inclusive, they love it. And boy do they take advantage of it. Take a trip round Cotillo and have a little look at the heavy pot bellied Italians of which there are many.

On the other side of the coin the Leisure centres you refer to were not around 30 to 40 years ago. Now there's a David Lloyd gym or council run community sports centre on every corner. And most of them packed out to the rafters with sweaty bodies. Many schools now have nutritional rules regarding packed lunches and any that provide school dinners have to abide by guidelines as to what they can give the kids.

Yes there are plenty of parents could do with educating on dietry provision, and some couldn't care less anyway. But there's plenty of healthy sporty kids in the UK, it's not just our problem. You never saw a fast food American burger joint in Spain or the Canaries 20 years ago, now they are all over the place. Give it time. Our problem will soon be theirs.

PS..The first fast food joint (apart from fish and chips) to arrive was I think Wimpy bars. They were certainly around in the very early 60's. So we've had 50 odd years for the industry to grow and influence our diets. I didn't know what a pizza was when I was 10.
Well put, that’s the other point of view