Author Topic: Naked hike  (Read 2466 times)

Offline Sir999

Naked hike
« on: May 04, 2019, 08:59:43 am »
In September, we're visiting Fuerteventura for the first time.

We like long walks in the nude. It seems you can do plenty of that along the south coasts.

Are there other nude walks people have done recently. I read about Morro Jable to Cofette. Have people done that recently? Any other suggestions? What tips you can share for 'first time hikers'?

Offline Jimjo

Re: Naked hike
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 07:50:30 am »
Costa Calma to Morro Jable is possible but you have to check the tide times, i think its about 10 miles. I think it wise to cover up in front of the main hotels, but all the beaches along the coast are clothes optional. We have stayed in both the north and the south but prefer the south. Where about are you staying?

Offline Sir999

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 06:01:21 am »
Thanks for the reply.

We're not sure yet where to stay. We originally thought staying in the North near Corralejo. It seems more lively and there seems to be some more activity in the evening. Whereas in the south, it's mostly hotels.  However I read it's always 1 or 2 degrees warmer in the South and wind is a little bit less.  Since the beaches also seem a lot better, we'll definitively head to the South.

Offline Jimjo

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 16:55:34 pm »
Sir999 did you manage to book anywhere?

Offline Sir999

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 07:34:58 am »
Yes, we will be in the Iberostar in Jandia.
It seems to be quite close to the beach.

Offline dampsquib

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 21:36:44 pm »
Sir999 – I hope you have a great time next month in Fuerte’. I’m sure you will, it’s a wonderful place.
I’ve done quite a bit of naked walking there over the last few years – mostly in the south.

Might be useful to recommend some maps. Best two maps I’ve found for walking are:
1. Kompass Map of Fuerteventura by Freytag & Berndt (1:50,000), &
2. Fuerteventura Tour & Trail by David & Ros Brawn of Discovery Walking Guides Ltd (1:65,000)
You’re unlikely to find these out there, but Amazon sell them both. If fact, I’ve just ordered new copies, as whilst thinking about replying to your post, I’ve just discovered that new editions of both were published last year.
Having used the Kompass map for years, I then came across the Tour & Trail map. This had the advantage of being printed on a more durable material and it also included some paths which weren’t on the Kompass map. Unfortunately, it had the disadvantage of a poorer scale of 1:100,000.
The new 2018 edition is however now 1:65,000, which should be a big improvement.
Looking forward to checking out both new editions when they arrive tomorrow.

I normally stay a little further north from the Iberostar at the Fuerteventura Princess. Over the last 18 years, I’ve enjoyed both coastal walks and inland walks. Inland looks very barren, but I never cease to be amazed at the interesting things I encounter in the not-so-barren wilderness. During the last two visits, Geocaching has also encouraged me to visit some new places, as caches have started appearing in some more adventurous fantastic locations.

Coastal walking:
As you’ve already been advised, on the Sotavento coastline, the beaches from Costa Calma down to Morro Jable are fantastic. Whilst there are some headlands which are not passable at high tide, there are numerous easy routes over the top, which provide both variety and great views.
More great beach walking is to be had over on the Barlovento coast. If you get over to Cofete, you can walk northwards along the beach for nearly 2 hours.
One of my favourite days every holiday is to drive to the Morro Jable Bus Station and take the 10 o’clock 4WD drive bus over to Cofete (Tiadhe Service 111), then walk north for 2 hrs along the beach. When the beach ends, it’s a 1 hr climb up to a pass and then back to civilisation via the Barranco del Pecenescal (say another 1.5 hrs). Just before reaching the FV2, I don my clothes and catch the No 1 bus back to Morro Jable. Before first doing this walk, I had checked out the end of the walk in reverse, so I already knew the route upto and over the pass.
No beaches, but the walking east along the cliffs from Punta Pesebre to Punta de Barlovento near the end of the island is also brilliant.
Inland Walking:
I’ve now been up most of the barrancos along the Sotavento side of the island near my hotel: Butihondo, Esquinzo, Mal Nombre, Canarios, Pecenescal & Del Lomo, and some of the ridges in between them. On a busy day inland, I might encounter a handful of people, but on many quiet days, I don’t see a sole. Lots of scope for naked walking too in the sand duney area behind and to the south of Costa Calma.
Good luck!
I’m counting the days until November when I return for more naked rambles.

Offline sun lovers

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 10:28:30 am »
A few years back we walked the Barranco de Pesenescal from FV2 all the way to the west coast. This was in late October and it was scorching. We walked naked nearly all the way there and back. Took us about 3 hours and were delighted to cool off at Risco del Paso on our return.