Author Topic: Hotel closures re Thos Cook collapse?  (Read 1404 times)

Offline dampsquib

Hotel closures re Thos Cook collapse?
« on: October 06, 2019, 17:48:03 pm »
There are newspaper reports and rumours of closures.
Is it all 'fake' news, or are there any actual closures on Fuerte'?
Anyone got any real facts?

Offline carolinet

Re: Hotel closures re Thos Cook collapse?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 14:34:04 pm »
Hi - I know for sure that Fuerteventura Princess hotel down in Esquinzo is closing, it was a Thomas Cook only hotel and went from 98% occupancy to 2% almost overnight !!

I hear also from some contacts I know who work in tourism here that more hotels will definitely close and that the impact is worse for Fuerte than other Canary Islands. It's early days, we have to wait and see....

Let's hope Condor keeps going as they operate 20 flights a week to the island just now (although that's for the German rather than UK tourist market).

I also hear via AOL that a rival company is looking to take on many of the TC travel shops in the UK and secure 2.5k jobs, which could be positive.

Offline fatherted

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 19:28:53 pm »
Hi - I know for sure that Fuerteventura Princess hotel down in Esquinzo is closing, it was a Thomas Cook only hotel and went from 98% occupancy to 2% almost overnight !!

I hear also from some contacts I know who work in tourism here that more hotels will definitely close and that the impact is worse for Fuerte than other Canary Islands. It's early days, we have to wait and see....

Let's hope Condor keeps going as they operate 20 flights a week to the island just now (although that's for the German rather than UK tourist market).

I also hear via AOL that a rival company is looking to take on many of the TC travel shops in the UK and secure 2.5k jobs, which could be positive.

Hays Travel are taking on 550+ shops

Offline charlatanefc

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 12:38:54 pm »
That's all very well, but there is a severe shortage of flights now.  Easyjet and Ryanair had both cut loads of routes before the collapse, and obviously now Thomas Cook Airlines is no more.

We wanted to come out next June, but Easyjet had cancelled the LPL-FUE route.

Offline carolinet

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 14:54:41 pm »
Jet2 is another option....

Offline sueandrog

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 19:14:47 pm »
Good article here which seems to confirm not only the closure but also how the collapse is hitting other parts of the tourism industry. Big hotel to be empty. www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/346441/spain-to-suffer-500-hotel-closures-due-to-thomas-cook-failure

Offline Chalongcircle

• Based in London and Corralejo
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2019, 12:10:39 pm »
Thomas Cook Scandinavi is backon uts feet and rebranded as Sunclass Air. They have resterted ops to Fuerteventura